Oct 31, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
The Irish men’s and women’s cross country teams rebounded from disappointing ends to their regular seasons with third and fifth place finishes, respectively, in last Friday’s BIG EAST Championship Meet.
The men placed third in an impressive and competitive field that featured three of the USTFCCCA’s Top 30 teams. Syracuse backed up its No. 16 ranking by winning the championship meet with only 37 points. The Irish finished with 70 points, only three behind rival Georgetown, who placed second in the meet.
Senior Jeremy Rae, the Irish’s top runner throughout the regular season, finished 3rd overall, with a time of 24:39.39. Junior Martin Grady placed 8th with a time of 24:46.52, and Senior J.P. Malette finished 14th in 24:58.42. The three runners received all-BIG EAST honors for their performances in a competitive field, which featured only a 20-second differential between 1st and 15th place.
The women’s team placed fifth with 90 points, only seven behind fourth place Villanova and 10 behind third place Providence. No. 9 Georgetown won the women’s meet with 58 points.
Next up for the Irish is the Great Lakes Regional Championship on Friday, Nov. 9. The Irish will return to Madison, Wisc., the site of the Wisconsin Invitational.
On the men’s side, the Irish are ranked fourth in the region, behind Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana, who respectively finished first, second and third in the Big Ten Men’s Championship Meet. Wisconsin, who won its 14th consecutive Big Ten title, will undoubtedly be the favorite to win the race.
The women, who also rank fourth in the region, will face strong competition from Michigan and Michigan State, who placed first and second, respectively in the Big Ten Women’s Championship Meet.
With strong performances in the regional meets, the Irish will look to qualify for the NCAA Championships later this month.
- M. Golf. Rushton Captures Medalist Honors At The 2015 Kickoff Challenge
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Tops MTSU For First Win Of 2015
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish Stun #14 Indiana On Overtime Tally
- W. Soccer. #7/6 Irish Extinguish Portland's Pilot Light, 2-0
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Portland
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: Indiana
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Drops Opening Matches In Tennessee
- M. Ice Hockey. Pro Camp Set To Open On Monday
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Opens Season At Kickoff Challenge
- W. Soccer. Patience Key As #7/6 Irish Top Santa Clara, 2-1
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💥 Ladies and Gentlemen... 🏈 It's back. #TrickShotMonday @NDFootball Watch Full: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/xkdW… http://t.co/VIKoasToil 5 hours ago
- 🏀 2 Sports. 🏈 2 Covers. 📚 1 Week of School complete. At this rate we'll have 60-ish covers this year! #Facts http://t.co/wN1znK7jov 6 hours ago
- 🏈 WATCH ALERT Onward Notre Dame returns tonight at 6:30 pm ET on @NBCSportsNet Full Trailer: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/RtNm… http://t.co/miCSB5YjkM 9 hours ago
- 🍀 @NDvolleyball celebrates first win of the "Jim McLaughlin era". http://t.co/0rKNP2kd2z 15 hours ago
- 2013 NCAA Champion: 1 2012 NCAA Champion: 0 🍀See how #4 @NDMenSoccer downed #14 Indiana in OT. snpy.tv/1UmJ00n 1 day ago