Nov 2, 2012, 9:31 AM EST
The Irish swimming and diving programs will kick off an action-packed weekend on the campus of the University of Notre Dame when they welcome the Boilermakers of Purdue to the Rolfs Aquatic Center. The in-state duel in the pool will feature both the men’s and women’s squads from both institutions. Notre Dame looks for revenge against Purdue as the Boilermakers swept the Irish in West Lafayette last season.
While this year’s contest doesn’t feature Olympic diver David Boudia, who visited the Notre Dame campus two years ago when he was a member of the Purdue Boilermakers’ diving squad, today’s match-up will have plenty of excitement as the #18 Irish women’s squad battles #24 Purdue and the Notre Dame men’s team tries to knock off 18th-ranked Purdue.
The Notre Dame women’s program went toe-to-toe against fifth-ranked Auburn last weekend. The Irish won eight of the sixteen events in the dual meet but were not able to match the depth of the Tigers, falling 132-166. The duo of Jenny Chiang and Allison Casareto swept the diving competition for the Irish while a number of young swimmers turned in good showings as well. Sophomore Suzanne Bessire turned in a phenomenal time of 1:50.71 in the 200m free for the Irish. That time is faster than any dual meet performance Bessire turned in all of last season. Fellow sophomore Bridget Casey also delivered two second-place finishes in the 1,000m free and 200m butterfly.
The Irish men are coming off an impressive weekend sweep of the Oakland Golden Grizzlies and the Michigan State Spartans. The Irish took the pool at 6:00 p.m. at Oakland last Friday and cruised to a 191-107 win. The Irish then hopped on a bus and headed to Michigan State. The team was up and ready for their noon contest against Michigan State, which they also dominated en route to a 178-120 victory. The Irish were once again lead by Frank Dyer who turned in performances of 1:38.48 and 1:38.73 in the 200m free, both of which were Irish victories. Sophomore Zachary Stephens also had an impressive weekend, winning three individual events (50m free vs. Oakland; 100m, 200m breast vs. Michigan State) over the two meets. In diving action, sophomore Nick Nemetz won the 1-meter springboard at Oakland and then swept the 1- and 3-meter springboards against Michigan State.
If you are in town today, be sure to check out some Irish swimming and diving action. If you can’t make it, you can track all the results online with our live stats. A link will be on und.com before the meet.
- Track. Notre Dame Opens Competition at Meyo Invitational
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Fall To No. 12 Illini 5-2
- M. Ice Hockey. DiPauli and Fogarty Lead No. 10 Irish Past Vermont 2-1
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Kicks Off Spring Season At Earl Yestingsmeier Match Play Event
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Poised to Battle No. 2/1 North Carolina
- Fencing. Keys to the Meet: Duke Duals
- Monogram Club. Strong Of Heart Archives: Father John Smyth
- M. Soccer. Matt Howley Joins Clinician List For The 2016 National Soccer Coaching Seminar
- W. Soccer. Matt Howley Joins Clinician List For The 2016 National Soccer Coaching Seminar
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Illinois, Indiana & Ball State
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- DID YOU KNOW? ND vs. North Carolina is the 35th time in program history that @NDmbb has faced a #1 ranked team https://t.co/CAIgoUDk9Z 11 hours ago
- 🏈@CoachMikeElston helped recruit 24 players... On Signing Day he recruited an extra player to help out his family. amp.twimg.com/v/c7b07477-293… 18 hours ago
- 🏀 THURSDAY NIGHT WIN See how #3 @ndwbb downed N.C. State 82-46 at Purcell Pavilion. HIGHLIGHTS: amp.twimg.com/v/876f8eee-b31… 19 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW? Goaltender Cal Petersen is tied for the national lead in saves w/ 725. READ: und.com/sports/m-hocke… https://t.co/OCD5r2XgBf 1 day ago
- 🏀 The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: und.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/5xJdawoKJ6 1 day ago