Nov 5, 2012, 3:10 PM EDT
Notre Dame isn’t usually one of the first places that comes to mind when people think of “basketball schools.” The Leprechaun Legion is trying to change that this season.
Andy Prombo (’13), the Leprechaun Legion Basketball Co-Chair, talked about what the Legion is trying to do to make this season different than any other basketball season.
“Our goal is increased attendance at all of the home basketball games. When the entire student section is filled…Purcell Pavilion gets loud and intimidating which directly impacts the play. But we don’t have just two home games, we have nineteen. Students need to find a way to make it to every home game to support this fantastic basketball program.”
If one student can’t make it to a game, maybe he or she has a friend who can.
“One big point that we’re trying to emphasize this year is that students can give their tickets to other students if they can’t make the games. Unlike football tickets, basketball season tickets can be used by any student, so we are thinking of ways to make these unused tickets available such as an exchange system within the dorms.”
The Legion isn’t working alone. They have head coach Mike Brey behind them. Last month, they met with Coach Brey to talk about ideas to increase the hype this season. One idea emphasized by Brey, Prombo said, was “organizing camp outs in the JACC for big home games, similar to what goes on at other basketball schools.”
October may have been the busiest month for the Legion in preparing for basketball season, but when it comes to making changes as big as the Legion hopes to, preparation has to be constant.
“I’m not sure we ever stopped preparing for the basketball season. Although the Legion has expanded to all sports in recent years, an increased emphasis will always be on basketball since these are where the roots are. We elected new members to the board this past spring and immediately started brainstorming ideas for the basketball season. We’ve increased planning over the past month for the basketball season, but ideas are floated around year round.”
A partnership with McDonald’s is also in the works to arrange a giveaway if the student section sells out for any games. Prombo hopes this partnership will increase attendance at every game, not just the big ones.
Aside from increasing attendance and hype, the Legion wants to become a force of school spirit not to be trifled with.
“Many people know that Notre Dame plays well at home, but I don’t think people really recognize how good of a home court advantage we have. Over the past 107 games at home, the Irish are 100-7, which is a remarkable feat. [Only the University of Kansas surpasses Notre Dame with a home record of 101-6.] By calling the crowd the “6th Man” and putting it on the Leprechaun Legion shirts, we are constantly reminding the crowd that we need them to continue this trend and to establish an intimidating arena for opponents to play at.”
The weather is changing, football season is nearing its end, and basketball season is now upon us. So it’s time to get your season tickets, sport your “6th Man” shirts, and help the Legion get Notre Dame to be the first school people think of when they hear about “basketball schools.”
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Advance To Round of 16 At NCAA Doubles Championship
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey May 25, 2016 Media Session
- W. Tennis. Gleason's Comeback Bid Falls Short In NCAA Singles First Round
- Baseball. Summer Ball Provides Key Development Opportunities For Players
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Advances To Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish, Hawkeyes To Meet In ACC-B1G Challenge
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- He sent the @penguins to #StanleyCup Final, but Bryan Rust STARTED at ND 2011: ND vs BC Rust ends OT in final sec. amp.twimg.com/v/79c1d4ff-3c3… 3 hours ago
- When you lead your team to #StanleyCup Final ND's Bryan Rust scored BOTH goals in @penguins 2-1 win vs Tampa Bay https://t.co/9WUCM0TLpl 5 hours ago
- 🎾 NCAA Doubles Championship Round 32:✔️ A. Lawson & Q. Monaghan advance to Round 16! READ: und.com/sports/m-tenni… https://t.co/N7X8u9MMw1 20 hours ago
- 👕 T-Shirts 🕶 Tank Tops ⚾️ Ball Caps ☀️ Check out our summer UA gear at shop.und.com https://t.co/ExYUec7zqK 23 hours ago
- #TBT to when @NDMensTennis beat #1 UNC Good luck Q. Monaghan & A. Lawson at NCAA Tourney Round 32 3pm| @NCAATennis https://t.co/YMTaoeBMTl 1 day ago