Nov 8, 2012, 1:41 PM EDT
Riding a 10-game winning streak heading into the weekend, Notre Dame volleyball is far from satisfied when it comes to accomplishing team goals for the season.
One of those goals can be crossed off the list following a pair of matches against BIG EAST foes this weekend: a regular season conference championship. To do this, the Irish must defeat Cincinnati at home this Friday (Nov. 9) and Marquette, a squad that knocked off Notre Dame for its only conference loss of the season on Sept. 29.
During that lone conference loss at Purcell Pavilion, Marquette’s size up front and Notre Dame’s inconsistent serving resulted in a five-set Golden Eagles victory, one that the Irish certainly have not forgotten. To truly avenge the loss and secure a regular season championship, the Irish must not overlook Cincinnati which currently sits at fourth place in the BIG EAST conference. Marquette has also only suffered one conference loss (to Louisville), while Louisville’s lone conference loss was to Notre Dame. As a result, the Irish control their own destiny the rest of the way to secure the BIG EAST tournament No. 1 seed.
The Irish will continue to rely upon solid play from Maggie Brindock, who last Sunday recorded a triple-double with 12 kills, 38 assists and 11 digs against Rutgers. It was first time since 2004 and the 22nd time in school history an Irish player recorded a triple-double. Saturday’s match against the Bearcats will mark the home finale for two seniors – Hilary Eppink and Marie Roof. Both players will be honored prior to the match which will be streamed live via und.com at 7 p.m. EST.
Lastly, Fighting Irish Digital Media recently caught up with freshman libero Taylor Morey to highlight her unique serving technique. Check out the video below to see why she has been so successful this season:
- M. Soccer. Getting To Know Men's Soccer's Matt Habrowski
- W. Soccer. Ten Questions: Kaleigh Olmsted
- M. Ice Hockey. NBC Sports Group Drops The Puck On Fourth Season Of Notre Dame Hockey Coverage
- M. Golf. Albin Tops Irish as Play Concludes in Arizona
- W. Golf. Irish Finish Sixth At Season Opening Schooner Classic
- W. Soccer. #24 Irish Tame Panthers In 4-0 Victory
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Blows by Hurricanes in Straight-Set Win
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Look Themselves in Mirror
- Football. VanGorder Relieved of Duties; Hudson Assumes Responsibilities
- Football. Notre Dame-Duke 2016: What the Irish Learned
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 📽Coming Tuesday Locker room & sideline footage from ND vs Duke. "We're going to change the direction of this foot… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 16 hours ago
- ON THIS DAY: 1953 @NDFootball became the last team to beat Oklahoma before its 47-game winning streak. ND broke t… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 22 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️Stellar Weekend 🏐 @NDVolleyball downs Miami 3-0 to earn its 2nd sweep of the weekend. READ: und.com/sports/w-volle… h… 1 day ago
- ☘️Stellar Weekend 🏐 @NDVolleyball downs Miami 3-0 to earn its 2nd sweep of the weekend. READ:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- 🍀 4 Goals by 4 Different Players. @NDSoccer wins its ACC home opener 4-0 vs. Pittsburgh. 📽 Top-5 Moments https://t.co/yIYW2ICCpk 1 day ago