Nov 8, 2012, 11:41 PM EST
After a disappointing fifth place finish in the BIG EAST championship meet, the Fighting Irish women’s cross country team seeks a rebound performance and a national championship meet bid.
The Irish stumbled in their last meet finishing fifth in a meet they expected to finish within the top three. Junior Kelly Curran led the Irish contestants with a time of 21:21 on the arduous Van Cortlandt Park trail. She crossed the finish line in 12th place despite running the last mile with only one shoe. Senior Rebecca Tracy also finished with all BIG EAST honors in 15th place.
A top two finish in the regional qualifier would guarantee the Irish a spot in the national championship meet. Finishing any lower than that would leave the team hoping to be awarded one of the at-large bids.
“Hopefully the disappointment from BIG EAST will motivate to race our best in regionals,” senior Jessica Rydberg said.
Madison, Wisc. is the host of the regional meet, and will be the host to Notre Dame for the second time this season. In their first appearance, the Irish finished 12th within the elite field entered in the Wisconsin Invitational.
“Wisconsin’s course is probably the best course we race on all year,” Rydberg said. “There are a few hills, but nothing too tough; the grass is very well groomed.”
This meet is the equivalent of a championship playoff series for cross country teams all over the nation. For many seniors Friday will be their last collegiate race. Obviously, the Irish look to avoid that fate for their seniors.
“If we don’t qualify for nationals, this would be my last cross country race,” Rydberg said. “I’m so happy with my team; I can’t imagine a better group of girls to spend my last season with. No matter what happens, I’ll be proud to have been a part of this team.”
The race begins Friday at 1 pm ET. Times will be updated on und.com at the conclusion of the contest.
- Softball. #22/23 Irish Make First ACC Stop At North Carolina State
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Welcome UMass For Hockey East First Round
- Baseball. Streaking Irish Open ACC Play At Georgia Tech
- M. Tennis. No. 23 Irish Prep For ACC Play
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: ACC Legend Achonwa Told It Like It Was
- W. Tennis. Tennis Runs In The Family
- Softball. Irish Softball Strikeout Cancer Trivia Night Sponsorship Opportunities Available
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Pulls Away From Louisville, 71-59
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Tons of @TheACC action going on for the Irish! #HitPlay on our Hello ACC! @Spotify playlist- spoti.fi/17HRyft #GoIrish #BeatACC 29 minutes ago
- 1st game of the @Hockey_East Tourney begins tonight! @NDHockey vs UMass at @NDCFIA. Everything you need to know- ntrda.me/1DZZzJh 1 hour ago
- RT @MRBastedo: Game day in Greensboro! Make sure to tune in to @WatchND for all your @ndwbb ACC Tournament coverage! http://t.co/eP9d7xUVqi 2 hours ago
- Everything you need to know about today's 2 pm ET @NDwbb game vs Miami in @theACC Tourney- ntrda.me/1M8Z41m #GoIrish #BeatHurricanes 2 hours ago
- RT @LepLegion: Anyone still in town this weekend should head out to Compton to cheer on @NDHockey in the first round of the @hockey_east pl… 3 hours ago