Nov 8, 2012, 11:41 PM EDT
After a disappointing fifth place finish in the BIG EAST championship meet, the Fighting Irish women’s cross country team seeks a rebound performance and a national championship meet bid.
The Irish stumbled in their last meet finishing fifth in a meet they expected to finish within the top three. Junior Kelly Curran led the Irish contestants with a time of 21:21 on the arduous Van Cortlandt Park trail. She crossed the finish line in 12th place despite running the last mile with only one shoe. Senior Rebecca Tracy also finished with all BIG EAST honors in 15th place.
A top two finish in the regional qualifier would guarantee the Irish a spot in the national championship meet. Finishing any lower than that would leave the team hoping to be awarded one of the at-large bids.
“Hopefully the disappointment from BIG EAST will motivate to race our best in regionals,” senior Jessica Rydberg said.
Madison, Wisc. is the host of the regional meet, and will be the host to Notre Dame for the second time this season. In their first appearance, the Irish finished 12th within the elite field entered in the Wisconsin Invitational.
“Wisconsin’s course is probably the best course we race on all year,” Rydberg said. “There are a few hills, but nothing too tough; the grass is very well groomed.”
This meet is the equivalent of a championship playoff series for cross country teams all over the nation. For many seniors Friday will be their last collegiate race. Obviously, the Irish look to avoid that fate for their seniors.
“If we don’t qualify for nationals, this would be my last cross country race,” Rydberg said. “I’m so happy with my team; I can’t imagine a better group of girls to spend my last season with. No matter what happens, I’ll be proud to have been a part of this team.”
The race begins Friday at 1 pm ET. Times will be updated on und.com at the conclusion of the contest.
- Football. Quenton Nelson, Mike McGlinchey Named Preseason Associated Press All-Americans
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish Outrun Valpo 3-0 In Grassroot Soccer Clash
- W. Basketball. Visual Look Back at Ogunbowale's Trip to Tokyo
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Season Preview
- Football. Notre Dame Stadium: It's a Go
- W. Soccer. Offense Erupts in #18 Notre Dame's 4-0 Win
- Football. Bob Elliott: A Warrior for All Seasons
- Football. Limited Tickets Remain for Irish Football Home Opener Versus Temple
- M. Soccer. #10 Irish, Valpo Clash In Annual Grassroot Soccer Contest
- W. Soccer. #18 Irish, Butler Draw 0-0 In 2017 Lid-Lifter
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 📚 The first day of classes is complete and our students are home under the dome. Here's to a new school year! https://t.co/vAkGqiGk9K 5 hours ago
- 🏈 INSIDE NOTRE DAME STADIUM Here's a look at the renovated restrooms! #NDBiggerThanBrick https://t.co/gcKD1V4heT 7 hours ago
- ☘ Stadium Updates We renovated the restrooms at Notre Dame Stadium. Check back soon to see the interior!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago
- ⚽️ ND TAKES DOWN VALPO! #10 @NDMenSoccer downs Valpo 3-0 in annual Grassroot Soccer game. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/5v6zVelR07 14 hours ago
- "We're right where we need to be." @NDSportsBlogger interviewed D-Lineman Daelin Hayes after Sunday's New & Gold G… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago