Nov 8, 2012, 11:41 PM EDT
After a disappointing fifth place finish in the BIG EAST championship meet, the Fighting Irish women’s cross country team seeks a rebound performance and a national championship meet bid.
The Irish stumbled in their last meet finishing fifth in a meet they expected to finish within the top three. Junior Kelly Curran led the Irish contestants with a time of 21:21 on the arduous Van Cortlandt Park trail. She crossed the finish line in 12th place despite running the last mile with only one shoe. Senior Rebecca Tracy also finished with all BIG EAST honors in 15th place.
A top two finish in the regional qualifier would guarantee the Irish a spot in the national championship meet. Finishing any lower than that would leave the team hoping to be awarded one of the at-large bids.
“Hopefully the disappointment from BIG EAST will motivate to race our best in regionals,” senior Jessica Rydberg said.
Madison, Wisc. is the host of the regional meet, and will be the host to Notre Dame for the second time this season. In their first appearance, the Irish finished 12th within the elite field entered in the Wisconsin Invitational.
“Wisconsin’s course is probably the best course we race on all year,” Rydberg said. “There are a few hills, but nothing too tough; the grass is very well groomed.”
This meet is the equivalent of a championship playoff series for cross country teams all over the nation. For many seniors Friday will be their last collegiate race. Obviously, the Irish look to avoid that fate for their seniors.
“If we don’t qualify for nationals, this would be my last cross country race,” Rydberg said. “I’m so happy with my team; I can’t imagine a better group of girls to spend my last season with. No matter what happens, I’ll be proud to have been a part of this team.”
The race begins Friday at 1 pm ET. Times will be updated on und.com at the conclusion of the contest.
- Football. Irish Extra: Football 101
- Track. Irish Named To All-ACC Academic Track & Field Teams
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Top ACC Scholar-Athlete For Second Straight Year
- Track. Irish Alums Wrap Weekend At USATF Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Fischer, Gilbert Taken in NHL Draft
- W. Basketball. Ali Patberg Added To USA Basketball U19 World Championship Team
- Monogram Club. Molly Huddle ('06, track) Captures 10,000-Meter U.S. Title
- Monogram Club. Maddie Buttinger (â€™12, track) Wins Canadian Heptathlon Title At IAAF World Combined Event Capital Cup Challenge
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Not a bad week for @NDmbb's Jerian Grant. 🏀NBA 1st Round Pick 🍀@ESPYS Best Play Nominee What's Next? #NDinNBA twitter.com/ndmbb/status/6… 19 hours ago
- 🏈2 @NDFootball Alums ⛳️2 ND Golf Coaches 1 Great Cause 🚴@NDscience's Road To Discovery ended at Pebble Beach #NPC http://t.co/3tPefytlRl 1 day ago
- 2 sports. 4 draft picks. Solid week for @NDmbb & @NDHockey. Congrats, Jerian, Pat, Christian & Dennis! http://t.co/rvNqryylrc 2 days ago
- Oh What A Night! 🏀@NDmbb has two selected in @NBADraft. Congrats, Jerian and Pat. #NDinNBA http://t.co/TVHL6eul9T 4 days ago
- Turn to ESPN right now. #NDinNBA twitter.com/ndmikebrey/sta… 4 days ago