Nov 8, 2012, 11:41 PM EDT
After a disappointing fifth place finish in the BIG EAST championship meet, the Fighting Irish women’s cross country team seeks a rebound performance and a national championship meet bid.
The Irish stumbled in their last meet finishing fifth in a meet they expected to finish within the top three. Junior Kelly Curran led the Irish contestants with a time of 21:21 on the arduous Van Cortlandt Park trail. She crossed the finish line in 12th place despite running the last mile with only one shoe. Senior Rebecca Tracy also finished with all BIG EAST honors in 15th place.
A top two finish in the regional qualifier would guarantee the Irish a spot in the national championship meet. Finishing any lower than that would leave the team hoping to be awarded one of the at-large bids.
“Hopefully the disappointment from BIG EAST will motivate to race our best in regionals,” senior Jessica Rydberg said.
Madison, Wisc. is the host of the regional meet, and will be the host to Notre Dame for the second time this season. In their first appearance, the Irish finished 12th within the elite field entered in the Wisconsin Invitational.
“Wisconsin’s course is probably the best course we race on all year,” Rydberg said. “There are a few hills, but nothing too tough; the grass is very well groomed.”
This meet is the equivalent of a championship playoff series for cross country teams all over the nation. For many seniors Friday will be their last collegiate race. Obviously, the Irish look to avoid that fate for their seniors.
“If we don’t qualify for nationals, this would be my last cross country race,” Rydberg said. “I’m so happy with my team; I can’t imagine a better group of girls to spend my last season with. No matter what happens, I’ll be proud to have been a part of this team.”
The race begins Friday at 1 pm ET. Times will be updated on und.com at the conclusion of the contest.
- W. Golf. Thirty Deeds: Irish Win By 30 Shots At Nebraska
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowing Releases 2015-16 Schedule
- Football. Irish Aim to Get Back on Winning Track vs. Navy
- Football. Notre Dame Football Media Conference
- W. Golf. Records Fall as Irish Soar Into Lead at Nebraska Tourney
- W. Rowing. #ILookLikeAnEngineer Twitter Initiative Rings True For @NDRowing
- Football. The Irish & Navy Show Mutual Respect On Field & On NBCSN
- W. Golf. From The First Tee: Irish at Chip-N Club Invitational
- M. Tennis. Covalschi Falls At ITA All-American Championships
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap First Fall Weekend
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ⛳️1st place by 30 shots 🏆2nd title of the year @NDwomensGolf DOMINATES at Nebraska READ: und.com/sports/w-golf/… http://t.co/zdGxBMU3ZW 53 minutes ago
- 🏈"You're a good player. Don't ever doubt that." See @NDFootball fight for each other at Clemson in this week's ICON amp.twimg.com/v/5e12dcfd-0c8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈We can still accomplish the mission Go behind the scenes with Inside @NDFootball WATCH: UND.com/bktvshow amp.twimg.com/v/4764793f-b77… 6 hours ago
- 🍀@ndwbb All-American 🏀@IndianaFever Star Natalie Achonwa talks her 1st game in the #WNBAFinals Game 2 | 8 pm ET http://t.co/yy1vQELDZh 9 hours ago
- 🍀@NDFootball returns to campus 🎤Hear Coach Kelly talk about Saturday's game vs. Navy WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… http://t.co/VGpUQ9cRLt 10 hours ago