Nov 8, 2012, 11:41 PM EST
After a disappointing fifth place finish in the BIG EAST championship meet, the Fighting Irish women’s cross country team seeks a rebound performance and a national championship meet bid.
The Irish stumbled in their last meet finishing fifth in a meet they expected to finish within the top three. Junior Kelly Curran led the Irish contestants with a time of 21:21 on the arduous Van Cortlandt Park trail. She crossed the finish line in 12th place despite running the last mile with only one shoe. Senior Rebecca Tracy also finished with all BIG EAST honors in 15th place.
A top two finish in the regional qualifier would guarantee the Irish a spot in the national championship meet. Finishing any lower than that would leave the team hoping to be awarded one of the at-large bids.
“Hopefully the disappointment from BIG EAST will motivate to race our best in regionals,” senior Jessica Rydberg said.
Madison, Wisc. is the host of the regional meet, and will be the host to Notre Dame for the second time this season. In their first appearance, the Irish finished 12th within the elite field entered in the Wisconsin Invitational.
“Wisconsin’s course is probably the best course we race on all year,” Rydberg said. “There are a few hills, but nothing too tough; the grass is very well groomed.”
This meet is the equivalent of a championship playoff series for cross country teams all over the nation. For many seniors Friday will be their last collegiate race. Obviously, the Irish look to avoid that fate for their seniors.
“If we don’t qualify for nationals, this would be my last cross country race,” Rydberg said. “I’m so happy with my team; I can’t imagine a better group of girls to spend my last season with. No matter what happens, I’ll be proud to have been a part of this team.”
The race begins Friday at 1 pm ET. Times will be updated on und.com at the conclusion of the contest.
- M. Basketball. Best Under Brey, Irish Defeat Mastodons to Move to 9-0
- W. Basketball. Top Two Teams to Tangle Wednesday
- Fencing. Kiefer Claims Grand Prix Gold Over Strong Weekend For Irish
- M. Basketball. Fort Wayne Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Basketball. Jackie Young Named ACC Rookie of the Week
- M. Basketball. Colson Named ACC Player Of The Week
- Softball. Irish Softball Expands Camp Opportunities By Popular Demand
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Adds To Emmy Collection
- M. Basketball. Irish Equal Best Start Under Brey with Victory Over Aggies
- W. Basketball. Irish Offense Explodes In 114-54 Victory Over Crusaders
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏀 Flashback to the 2012 Final Four @ndwbb downed UConn 83-75 in overtime to advance to @NCAA title game. 📽 See ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDWSwimdive Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏊♀️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/eMQ1HSoblL 7 hours ago
- 🏀 SEASON MILESTONES Both @ndwbb stars Lindsay Allen & Brianna Turner reached 1,000 career points in 2016. Who wil… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDWSwimdive Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏊♀️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/DjDxmClauX 12 hours ago
- ☘️ ND's Last Second Stunner! In 2013, Skylar Diggins led #2 @ndwbb to a win over UConn for the BIG EAST Championsh… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago