Nov 8, 2012, 11:41 PM EST
After a disappointing fifth place finish in the BIG EAST championship meet, the Fighting Irish women’s cross country team seeks a rebound performance and a national championship meet bid.
The Irish stumbled in their last meet finishing fifth in a meet they expected to finish within the top three. Junior Kelly Curran led the Irish contestants with a time of 21:21 on the arduous Van Cortlandt Park trail. She crossed the finish line in 12th place despite running the last mile with only one shoe. Senior Rebecca Tracy also finished with all BIG EAST honors in 15th place.
A top two finish in the regional qualifier would guarantee the Irish a spot in the national championship meet. Finishing any lower than that would leave the team hoping to be awarded one of the at-large bids.
“Hopefully the disappointment from BIG EAST will motivate to race our best in regionals,” senior Jessica Rydberg said.
Madison, Wisc. is the host of the regional meet, and will be the host to Notre Dame for the second time this season. In their first appearance, the Irish finished 12th within the elite field entered in the Wisconsin Invitational.
“Wisconsin’s course is probably the best course we race on all year,” Rydberg said. “There are a few hills, but nothing too tough; the grass is very well groomed.”
This meet is the equivalent of a championship playoff series for cross country teams all over the nation. For many seniors Friday will be their last collegiate race. Obviously, the Irish look to avoid that fate for their seniors.
“If we don’t qualify for nationals, this would be my last cross country race,” Rydberg said. “I’m so happy with my team; I can’t imagine a better group of girls to spend my last season with. No matter what happens, I’ll be proud to have been a part of this team.”
The race begins Friday at 1 pm ET. Times will be updated on und.com at the conclusion of the contest.
- M. Basketball. Irish Suffer First Conference Defeat at No. 10 Florida State
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Aims to Bounce Back at Boston College
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Partners With Bread Of Life/Lou's Lads Food Drive
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros: Recapping The 2016 Season
- W. Tennis. Season In Preview: Irish Veterans And Rookies Poised To Make Impact
- W. Basketball. Irish Recruit Patterson Named McDonald's All-American
- M. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Look For Perfect Combination Of Youth And Experience
- M. Basketball. SI Now - Why Is Notre Dame Underappreciated?
- General News. Torain Joins Athletics Department As Associate Athletics Director
- W. Basketball. Irish Fall in Final Minute at Tennessee
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- A 4th grade class from California wished to see their dream college. Wish granted! See their trip to @NotreDame. https://t.co/nR7lK5ONvG 11 hours ago
- FIGHTING IRISH vs. SEMINOLES @accmbb Showdown. @NDmbb: #1 in the ACC Florida State: #3 in the ACC ⏰7pm 💻… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- Commit to @NDFootball✔️ 1st Day of College✔️ Follow early enrollee Aaron Banks to his 1st ND class & see who he ra… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: WATCH:A group of California 4th-graders head to Notre Dame to experience firsthand the University to which they've pledged… 1 day ago
- Who is V.J. Beachem's role model? His favorite NBA player? Find out on Inside @NDmbb. 📺 UND.com/breytvshow https://t.co/4mzC9yW6Uo 1 day ago