Nov 8, 2012, 11:41 PM EDT
After a disappointing fifth place finish in the BIG EAST championship meet, the Fighting Irish women’s cross country team seeks a rebound performance and a national championship meet bid.
The Irish stumbled in their last meet finishing fifth in a meet they expected to finish within the top three. Junior Kelly Curran led the Irish contestants with a time of 21:21 on the arduous Van Cortlandt Park trail. She crossed the finish line in 12th place despite running the last mile with only one shoe. Senior Rebecca Tracy also finished with all BIG EAST honors in 15th place.
A top two finish in the regional qualifier would guarantee the Irish a spot in the national championship meet. Finishing any lower than that would leave the team hoping to be awarded one of the at-large bids.
“Hopefully the disappointment from BIG EAST will motivate to race our best in regionals,” senior Jessica Rydberg said.
Madison, Wisc. is the host of the regional meet, and will be the host to Notre Dame for the second time this season. In their first appearance, the Irish finished 12th within the elite field entered in the Wisconsin Invitational.
“Wisconsin’s course is probably the best course we race on all year,” Rydberg said. “There are a few hills, but nothing too tough; the grass is very well groomed.”
This meet is the equivalent of a championship playoff series for cross country teams all over the nation. For many seniors Friday will be their last collegiate race. Obviously, the Irish look to avoid that fate for their seniors.
“If we don’t qualify for nationals, this would be my last cross country race,” Rydberg said. “I’m so happy with my team; I can’t imagine a better group of girls to spend my last season with. No matter what happens, I’ll be proud to have been a part of this team.”
The race begins Friday at 1 pm ET. Times will be updated on und.com at the conclusion of the contest.
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Stymie New Mexico 1-0, Claim Berticelli Tourney
- M. Soccer. Notre Dame-New Mexico Men's Soccer Match Postponed Until 6 P.M. (ET)
- W. Soccer. Western Michigan Match Postponed Due To Lightning
- Football. Sunday Brunch: 20 Questions on Notre Dame Football 2016
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Western Michigan
- W. Volleyball. Irish Sweep Broncos, Off To Best Start In Five Years
- W. Volleyball. Sweep Of Cleveland State Sends Irish To 2-0
- W. Rowing. Shamrock Sister Helps U.S. To Silver Medal
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Utilize Strong Attack With Opening Clean Sheet Against UC Irvine
- W. Volleyball. Irish Score Season-Opening Sweep Over Seton Hall
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ⚽️ FINAL Notre Dame 3 | Western Michigan 0 @NDSoccer wins its 3rd home game of the season. 📽 Top-5 Moments amp.twimg.com/v/b017b696-003… 2 hours ago
- 🏈 In 2015 @NDFootball's Josh Adams scored on his 1st career carry. Which Freshman will live the dream this year? amp.twimg.com/v/82060746-b74… 4 hours ago
- "This team is a family." @NDSoccer returns to defend home turf. ⏰7pm | ND vs. W. Michigan 📺 espn.com/watchespn/inde… https://t.co/Kvw6lbCDmv 6 hours ago
- 🏈 Last year @NDFootball shook up Texas. Time for an instant replay in Austin Sunday night. 👀@thejaylonsmith https://t.co/hQVMgB4Gpk 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘IRISH WIN WEEKEND TOURNEY @NDMenSoccer downs New Mexico 1-0 to win Berticelli Memorial Tournament. 📽Top-5 Moments htt… 15 hours ago