Nov 9, 2012, 6:53 PM EST
It is that month of the year again. Put the razors away and hide the shaving cream. That’s right, we’re about a third of the way through No-Shave November. It’s the one month out of the year where it becomes socially acceptable for teenagers and young adults to let their scraggly facial hair run wild and not be judged too harshly for it. Whether your facial hair resembles a Grizzly Adams beard, a Tom Selleck mustache, or merely the skin of a peach, it’s a NovemBeard, and that is something to be respected. It’s a fun time of year, but there can also be a greater meaning behind the facial hair.
This year the Notre Dame Men’s Hockey team will all be participating in the Movember tradition of growing out their mustaches, but they will be doing so for a greater cause. In a team-wide effort spearheaded by defenseman Stephen Johns, the Fighting Irish will grow out their mustaches in hopes of raising awareness for testicular and prostate cancer—two types of cancer which men suffer most from.
When asked about motivation for starting this movement at Notre Dame, Johns responded, “I caught wind of the idea from a friend who plays out east and thought the idea was great. October is focused mainly on breast cancer awareness, so we want to start that same kind of awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.”
Along with just raising awareness, Stephen Johns has set up a page to donate through the Movember Foundation. Proceeds will go toward research and treatment of testicular and prostate cancer. Click here to visit the site.
Please be generous in donations and make the movement known. Guys, if your testosterone levels are up for it, grow out those mustaches and help spread awareness for an illness which has touched all of our lives in one way or another.
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen's 55 Saves Helps Irish Beat No. 9 BC, 3-1
- M. Swimming. Irish Finish ACC Championships in Fifth Place
- M. Tennis. No. 14 Irish Fall to No. 3 Illinois, 4-3
- Track. Irish Women Snare 3rd At ACCs, Seidel Named MVP
- Baseball. Baseball Sweeps Saturday In Thrilling Fashion To Claim Mercer Baseball Classic
- Softball. Rain Washes Out Second Day Of Diamond 9 Citrus Classic
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Notre Dame Downs Dartmouth, 20-5
- Baseball. Beyond The Books: History More Than A Major Choice For McCarty
- W. Basketball. #4 Irish Close Out Regular Season Sunday At N.C. State
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame to Host Hockey East Playoffs, March 6-8
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- A walk down memory lane... One of our favorite #DomerDens, a trip to Father Hesburgh's Office- bit.ly/13ASgCI #ThankYouFrTed 2 hours ago
- Irish Sports Sched pt4 - @NDwbb vs NC State, 2 pm ET on ESPN3- ntrda.me/1BOfkFD #GoIrish 3 hours ago
- Irish Sports Sched pt3 - @NDSoftball vs Mississippi St, 11:15 am ET and Omaha at 1:30 pm ET in the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic ... 3 hours ago
- Irish Sports Sched pt2 - @NDFencing in the USFA Division 1 Championship - @NDwomensLax at Duke, 12pm ET on ESPN3- ntrda.me/1Bt4QKe ... 3 hours ago
- Today's Irish Sports Schedule pt1 - @NDwomensTennis vs Virginia, 11 am ET on @WatchND- ntrda.me/18aS3AC ... 3 hours ago