Nov 9, 2012, 6:53 PM EST
It is that month of the year again. Put the razors away and hide the shaving cream. That’s right, we’re about a third of the way through No-Shave November. It’s the one month out of the year where it becomes socially acceptable for teenagers and young adults to let their scraggly facial hair run wild and not be judged too harshly for it. Whether your facial hair resembles a Grizzly Adams beard, a Tom Selleck mustache, or merely the skin of a peach, it’s a NovemBeard, and that is something to be respected. It’s a fun time of year, but there can also be a greater meaning behind the facial hair.
This year the Notre Dame Men’s Hockey team will all be participating in the Movember tradition of growing out their mustaches, but they will be doing so for a greater cause. In a team-wide effort spearheaded by defenseman Stephen Johns, the Fighting Irish will grow out their mustaches in hopes of raising awareness for testicular and prostate cancer—two types of cancer which men suffer most from.
When asked about motivation for starting this movement at Notre Dame, Johns responded, “I caught wind of the idea from a friend who plays out east and thought the idea was great. October is focused mainly on breast cancer awareness, so we want to start that same kind of awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.”
Along with just raising awareness, Stephen Johns has set up a page to donate through the Movember Foundation. Proceeds will go toward research and treatment of testicular and prostate cancer. Click here to visit the site.
Please be generous in donations and make the movement known. Guys, if your testosterone levels are up for it, grow out those mustaches and help spread awareness for an illness which has touched all of our lives in one way or another.
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Whether you'll be cheering on No. 3 @NDFootball at the @CottonBowlGame or at home, you know the #IrishWearGreen. G… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 56 minutes ago
- "As long as I walk this earth, I will carry your spirit with me." After losing his mother, @NDFootball's Devin Stu… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- ✅ @ruthriley00 ✅ Katryna Gaither ✅ @BCunninghamND ✅ @SkyDigg4 ... and now, Arike Ogunbowale. Congratulations, Ari… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- Here. Come. The. Irish. @NDwbb takes on Binghamton in a non-conference matchup, LIVE on ACC Network Extra! 📍 Purc… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- ☑️ #CrossroadsClassic @NDmbb returned from @TheFieldhouse with the victory over in-state rival Purdue. The 🔝 highl… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 hours ago