Nov 9, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
While the university continues to celebrate 125 Years of Notre Dame Football throughout the season, the milestone is also bringing out the creative side of Irish fans and alums across the nation.
As we mentioned on the blog earlier in the week, Minnesota artist Tim Cortes recently finished a pair of Notre Dame themed pieces – one of which is being featured on the six home game programs.
Some Domers might also remember Peter Abowd (’88) a.k.a. The Whip, a Birmingham, Mich. native who wrote the song “100 Years” during his senior year as a tribute to Notre Dame’s celebrated football history.
Abowd joined his siblings, Paula and Anthony in penning the tune, which was released on campus with the Alumni Association and helped raise funds for the alumni clubs’ local scholarships.
Fast forward to 2012, and the former electrical engineering student has recently finished an updated version of his song.
Proceeds from “125” will be used to raise funds for the Class of 1988’s 25-year reunion university gift, and more importantly, to benefit the Autism Society.
Autism awareness is a cause that Peter holds close to his heart, as the developmental disorder has affected his nephews.
Check out both songs on his “It’s The Whip!” ReverbNation page.
For a flashback to the original project, read this Chicago Tribune article from Sept. 1987. The Whip was also featured in Notre Dame’s student magazine (Scholastic) and newspaper, The Observer, below.
Know any other creative projects inspired by this historic Fighting Irish season? Make sure to send them our way. Tweet them to me at @NDSportsBlogger.
- Softball. Koerner Earns Irish Record Third All-America Honor
- General News. Notre Dame Athletics Leads the Way in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- Track. Irish Geared For NCAA East Preliminary Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish Host Ohio State In Big Ten/ACC Women's Basketball Challenge
- Fencing. I Am Strong, If You Are Strong: A Tribute to Billy Meckling
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Notre Dame Baseball Sees Big Jump Up the Curve
- Softball. Irish Great Koerner Inks Contract With USSSA Pride
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo's First Season Set Tone For Irish Soccer
- Baseball. Baseball In NCAA Regionals For First Time Since 2006
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Falls In NCAA Singles Championship Semifinal
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.