Nov 9, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT
While the university continues to celebrate 125 Years of Notre Dame Football throughout the season, the milestone is also bringing out the creative side of Irish fans and alums across the nation.
As we mentioned on the blog earlier in the week, Minnesota artist Tim Cortes recently finished a pair of Notre Dame themed pieces – one of which is being featured on the six home game programs.
Some Domers might also remember Peter Abowd (’88) a.k.a. The Whip, a Birmingham, Mich. native who wrote the song “100 Years” during his senior year as a tribute to Notre Dame’s celebrated football history.
Abowd joined his siblings, Paula and Anthony in penning the tune, which was released on campus with the Alumni Association and helped raise funds for the alumni clubs’ local scholarships.
Fast forward to 2012, and the former electrical engineering student has recently finished an updated version of his song.
Proceeds from “125” will be used to raise funds for the Class of 1988’s 25-year reunion university gift, and more importantly, to benefit the Autism Society.
Autism awareness is a cause that Peter holds close to his heart, as the developmental disorder has affected his nephews.
Check out both songs on his “It’s The Whip!” ReverbNation page.
For a flashback to the original project, read this Chicago Tribune article from Sept. 1987. The Whip was also featured in Notre Dame’s student magazine (Scholastic) and newspaper, The Observer, below.
Know any other creative projects inspired by this historic Fighting Irish season? Make sure to send them our way. Tweet them to me at @NDSportsBlogger.
- Baseball. Baseball Falls To Northwestern State, 8-2, Saturday
- Football. Ben Koyack Chosen in NFL Draft
- Track. Irish Women Boost Top Marks On Final Day At Jesse Owens Track Classic
- M. Lacrosse. No. 2 Notre Dame Closes Out Regular Season With 17-8 Win At No.18 Army
- Baseball. Irish Shut Down The Demons, 4-1, Friday Night
- Track. Irish Log Top Finishes On Day One Of Jesse Owens Track Classic
- M. Soccer. Irish Extra: Ferguson Not Far Removed from Championship Form
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Close Out Regular Season At Army On Saturday
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Named 2015 Notre Dame Valedictorian
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Fiala Upsizes Input to Irish Baseball Offense
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Ben Koyack. @NDFootball Tight End. Mackey Award Nominee. NFL Draft Pick. #TightEndU http://t.co/GKS9P1BvGb 23 hours ago
- Blue Sky, Full Stands, Can't Lose. ⚾️@NDBaseball vs. Northwestern State 💻📱: watchnd.tv/#!/games/18797… http://t.co/IIXipjVSNW 1 day ago
- A DOMER won the famed @Royals Hot Dog race! 🍀&🇺🇸 team member Matt Besler raced against his @SportingKC teammates. http://t.co/WFTd6Q5VKp 1 day ago
- Add @NotreDame VALEDICTORIAN to Anna Kottkamp's extensive resume: 📚4.0 GPA 🚣ACC Scholar-Athlete 🏆NCAA Elite 89 Award http://t.co/IDZtQoGI1O 2 days ago
- Not many student-athletes win an NCAA Title & an ACC Scholar-Athlete award in their career... But Ariel DeSmet did. http://t.co/HYkkBVBPg4 3 days ago