Nov 21, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
A lot of cross-country teams talk about running as a pack – but not many stick this close together. Senior co-captain Rebecca Tracy, sophomore Gabby Gonzales, and juniors Alexa Aragon and Kelly Curran finished 96th, 97th, 98th, and 100th – all within one second of each other – in the NCAA championships Saturday.
“The goal all season has been to run together,” Tracy said. We do it in workouts and we’ve done it for parts of races, but never had we quite gotten it together like Saturday. We hurt a little at five, but overall we really did a better job of racing with each other not just near each other.”
That pack pulled the women’s team into 15th place overall, the highest finish for the women’s team since 2005.
“I’m happy,” Tracy said about her run. “It was my last cross country race ever and I was able to say at the finish, I put it all out there today. The best part is I know in the coming years that the group is only going to move forward in the pack, and that is exciting.”
“We definitely thought we could have run better. We knew going in that missing Jer and Shawel would hurt,” junior Martin Grady said. “Overall, we missed our goals from the start of the year by a good amount, but I think we take a lot from the race and return the scorers for next year.”
Although there were some concerns about the Louisville, Ky., course, Martin said it was not problematic after all.
“The course was actually a lot better than we had thought going in,” Martin said. “It got narrow early on, but nothing unbearable, we still had enough room to get around people.”
Martin said the Irish had one of the loudest cheering contingents at the meet.
“Outside of the number of people’s family members who showed up, we had the majority of our team, and a few alumni, there to support us,” Tracy said. “The meet itself had a great atmosphere, it was a great course and we had beautiful weather, but nothing beats Irish fans doing the football kickoff cheer for over two minutes while you stand at the start line waiting for the gun to go off.”
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Celebrate Senior Night Against #3 North Carolina
- M. Tennis. Irish Duo Snag Doubles Spot AT USTA/ITA National Indoors
- W. Basketball. Ivey Promoted To Associate Head Coach
- Cross Country. Keys To The Race: ACC Championships
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Set to Host Miami and Florida State Over Weekend
- Football. Notre Dame Monogram Club: Taking the Next Steps After 100 Years
- W. Golf. Women's Golf To Close Fall Season At Landfall Tradition
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Swimming & Diving Back In ACC Action Friday Versus Miami
- Monogram Club. Alan Page: 'I still have work to do'
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Guide To Miami Weekend
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @BleacherReport: 86-year-old fan Eleanor Smolar fulfills "dream of a lifetime" to see @NDFootball play live #BRxND https://t.co/M6l7rmnl… 32 minutes ago
- 🏈 The Brian Kelly Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/bkradioshow https://t.co/EX64biggJc 1 hour ago
- South Bend's best 🏀 players showcased their skills at ND's game for local media. 📽 Top plays by: @NDmbb @WNDU… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 5 hours ago
- "We've had a lot of talent over the last 6 years & this team is no exception." Head @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw pre… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 8 hours ago
- TODAY IN HISTORY: 1997 @NDBaseball alum & @Brewers Mgr. Craig Counsell scored #WorldSeries winning run for @Marlins https://t.co/Qod9s2j4Y9 22 hours ago