Nov 27, 2012, 8:56 AM EST
Although the battle of the NDs turned out to be a split series (1-1), the Fighting Irish definitely had the advantage. The Irish lost an absolute heartbreaker to North Dakota in the first game of the series where they had a goal called off on a very controversial call. Had the goal stood, it would have tied the game up late in the third period and you better believe the Irish would have had momentum going into overtime. But the call did not go in their favor and the Irish wound up dropping the game 2-1. The second game of the series, the Irish showed their true colors. They recorded a season-high 41 shots and put 5 goals past the North Dakota net-minder, while Steven Summerhays stopped 30 of North Dakota’s 32 shots. What to take away from the match-up:
- Lee is leading by example. Anders Lee scored three goals in two games this week, and would have had four if not for the controversial call at the end of the first game. Putting up four goals in two games is no small feat, especially in Division 1 hockey. Lee has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time. He finds ways to get open for his teammates to get him the puck. And once the puck is on his stick around the net, it’s in the net. Expect more production from the Irish captain in the future.
- Keep eyes on Lucia. In his third game since returning from a broken leg, he set up a beautiful goal on the stick of Anders Lee. As a freshman, he has the poise and offensive skill to be a stand-out player. Last season with the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, Mario Lucia amounted 94 points in 56 games. Hopefully Lucia will be able to get that offensive touch back with a few more games under his belt.
- Because defensemen never get much credit. Three cheers for defensemen Kevin Lind on his 3-point night. Two assists and a cannon from the point for a short-handed goal from a defensive defenseman? The man deserves some credit.
The Irish return to CCHA play this weekend with a Friday-Saturday series against Lake Superior State. The Irish had a good Thanksgiving weekend, let’s hope they can build off it.
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Nets Weekly ACC Honor
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Posts Runner-Up Finish at Yestingsmeier Match Play
- M. Basketball. AJ Meyer: He's Notre Dame Basketball's Secret Weapon
- M. Basketball. Irish Continue Road Dawg Attitude Beating Clemson On Road, 89-83
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Posts Pair of Thrilling Wins at Yestingsmeier Match Play
- Softball. The Top 10: Conference History
- W. Basketball. Cable, Allen Earn Awards For Basketball Success
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Honored and Irish Move up to #8 in the National Polls After Weekend Sweep
- M. Basketball. Irish Head To Clemson For A Key ACC Battle
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 66, #13 Louisville 61
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- DID YOU KNOW? On Saturday @NDXCTF's Molly Seidel broke the school record for the 3,000 meter race by 11 seconds. https://t.co/wBClMoC9zp 10 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW? Since the 1st draft in 1936, 485 @NDFootball players have been drafted to the NFL. #NDFacts https://t.co/Buf5xMYCd8 1 day ago
- 🍀 Who surprised @NDHockey on their way to Vermont? Hint: 🚁 amp.twimg.com/v/ccb91a59-3b5… 1 day ago
- 🍀 Want tickets to @ndwbb vs. Clemson? @ThisCountsSJMed has you covered. ENTER: woobox.com/gmunpg https://t.co/uj2UqDPLBV 1 day ago
- 🍀 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS @NDFootball alums Ryan Harris & David Bruton take Super Bowl 50 with the @Broncos. #SB50 https://t.co/obMpcdtmiO 1 day ago