Nov 27, 2012, 8:56 AM EDT
Although the battle of the NDs turned out to be a split series (1-1), the Fighting Irish definitely had the advantage. The Irish lost an absolute heartbreaker to North Dakota in the first game of the series where they had a goal called off on a very controversial call. Had the goal stood, it would have tied the game up late in the third period and you better believe the Irish would have had momentum going into overtime. But the call did not go in their favor and the Irish wound up dropping the game 2-1. The second game of the series, the Irish showed their true colors. They recorded a season-high 41 shots and put 5 goals past the North Dakota net-minder, while Steven Summerhays stopped 30 of North Dakota’s 32 shots. What to take away from the match-up:
- Lee is leading by example. Anders Lee scored three goals in two games this week, and would have had four if not for the controversial call at the end of the first game. Putting up four goals in two games is no small feat, especially in Division 1 hockey. Lee has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time. He finds ways to get open for his teammates to get him the puck. And once the puck is on his stick around the net, it’s in the net. Expect more production from the Irish captain in the future.
- Keep eyes on Lucia. In his third game since returning from a broken leg, he set up a beautiful goal on the stick of Anders Lee. As a freshman, he has the poise and offensive skill to be a stand-out player. Last season with the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, Mario Lucia amounted 94 points in 56 games. Hopefully Lucia will be able to get that offensive touch back with a few more games under his belt.
- Because defensemen never get much credit. Three cheers for defensemen Kevin Lind on his 3-point night. Two assists and a cannon from the point for a short-handed goal from a defensive defenseman? The man deserves some credit.
The Irish return to CCHA play this weekend with a Friday-Saturday series against Lake Superior State. The Irish had a good Thanksgiving weekend, let’s hope they can build off it.
- W. Lacrosse. Incoming Freshmen Play for World Championship on Sat.
- W. Swimming. Irish Stars Thrive On International Swimming Stage
- W. Golf. Cool, Confident Hamilton Matures in Wyndham Cup Debut
- W. Volleyball. How To Watch Irish Volleyball Matches In 2015
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award
- Monogram Club. First Person: Danielle Green's ESPY Moment
- W. Basketball. First Person: Danielle Greenâ€™s ESPY Moment
- M. Soccer. Abundance Of Soccer On Air
- Baseball. Cavan Biggio Named A Cape Cod League All-Star
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Are you ready? http://t.co/YwCM0HirTC 16 hours ago
- You may notice the "Blue Moon" tonight (2nd full moon in a month)... ...but do you remember the "Blood Moon" in 2014? http://t.co/rpC4LGwH1d 1 day ago
- 🏈Need a FREE HOTEL for the GT Weekend? Thanks to @visitsouthbend, you can win one! Enter: woobox.com/qnwu2q http://t.co/s4VXNebqNe 1 day ago
- It's a tough game too... twitter.com/coachbriankell… 2 days ago
- RANDOM THOUGHT: The incoming class of Freshmen have lived in a World where @ndwbb ALWAYS makes the NCAA Tourney. twitter.com/ndwbb/status/6… 2 days ago