Nov 27, 2012, 8:56 AM EDT
Although the battle of the NDs turned out to be a split series (1-1), the Fighting Irish definitely had the advantage. The Irish lost an absolute heartbreaker to North Dakota in the first game of the series where they had a goal called off on a very controversial call. Had the goal stood, it would have tied the game up late in the third period and you better believe the Irish would have had momentum going into overtime. But the call did not go in their favor and the Irish wound up dropping the game 2-1. The second game of the series, the Irish showed their true colors. They recorded a season-high 41 shots and put 5 goals past the North Dakota net-minder, while Steven Summerhays stopped 30 of North Dakota’s 32 shots. What to take away from the match-up:
- Lee is leading by example. Anders Lee scored three goals in two games this week, and would have had four if not for the controversial call at the end of the first game. Putting up four goals in two games is no small feat, especially in Division 1 hockey. Lee has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time. He finds ways to get open for his teammates to get him the puck. And once the puck is on his stick around the net, it’s in the net. Expect more production from the Irish captain in the future.
- Keep eyes on Lucia. In his third game since returning from a broken leg, he set up a beautiful goal on the stick of Anders Lee. As a freshman, he has the poise and offensive skill to be a stand-out player. Last season with the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, Mario Lucia amounted 94 points in 56 games. Hopefully Lucia will be able to get that offensive touch back with a few more games under his belt.
- Because defensemen never get much credit. Three cheers for defensemen Kevin Lind on his 3-point night. Two assists and a cannon from the point for a short-handed goal from a defensive defenseman? The man deserves some credit.
The Irish return to CCHA play this weekend with a Friday-Saturday series against Lake Superior State. The Irish had a good Thanksgiving weekend, let’s hope they can build off it.
- Track. Barber Sets ND 100-Meter Hurdles Record At Texas Relays
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Rises To Fifth After Two Rounds At LSU Tiger Classic
- Softball. #RV Irish Shut Out #24 Virginia Tech 2-0 To Take Series Opener
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Irish Down #1 Syracuse In Double-Overtime, 13-12
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Meet #5/6 Baylor Sunday In NCAA Elite Eight
- M. Basketball. Elite Eight Preview: (3) #8 Notre Dame vs. (1) #1 Kentucky
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Allen Steals the Show for Irish Versus Stanford
- Softball. Notre Dame Softball Saturday Schedule Update
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 81, #14/17 Stanford 60 (NCAA Championship - Oklahoma City Regional Semifinal)
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes - Notre Dame vs. Stanford
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ❤️️🍀 7 hours ago
- Ten ties. fourteen lead changes. 5:23 left and the Irish lead 61-56. Pat headed to the line. TBS now. 8 hours ago
- Just saying…might want to turn on TBS. Just saying. 8 hours ago
- RT @angdicarlowndu: Former @NDFootball captain @EiferTy85 is "psyched" for his Irish. http://t.co/kBaO5GVL6N 8 hours ago
- A title fight underway in Cleveland. @NDmbb and no. 1 Kentucky into the half tied at 31. 20 minutes (at least) to the Final Four. TV: TBS. 8 hours ago