Nov 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EST
Earlier this week, the Notre Dame volleyball team gathered together as one team at Club Naimoli located within the confines of the Joyce Center, hoping their season could be extended at least for one more game. It was Selection Sunday, and the Irish were anxiously awaiting whether or not they had received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. Coming off three consecutive losses to Marquette, South Florida (in the first round of the BIG EAST tournament) and Ohio, the regular season hadn’t ended quite the way Notre Dame expected, but a chance to play another game would be the perfect opportunity to re-right the ship.
The good news popped up shortly after 4 p.m. as the live announcement of the tournament bracket on ESPNU revealed Notre Dame (20-9) would be playing Ohio State (22-10) this Friday at 5 p.m. ET in Lexington, Ky. For the Irish, it will mark the first time since 2009 that a Debbie Brown coached squad has appeared in the NCAA tournament. Should Notre Dame advance past the Buckeyes, it will face either 16th seeded Kentucky or East Tennessee State.
Overall, Notre Dame’s body of work and strength of schedule, especially during early non-conference play, helped in securing a tournament berth. Two impact wins came against top-six RPI teams including Louisville (No. 4) in five sets on the road and Kansas (No. 6) during the Golden Dome Invitational in mid-September. The Irish should relish the underdog role throughout the tourney, as many of their wins this season have been exciting, come-from-behind victories against higher rated opponents.
The Irish are one of three BIG EAST teams competing for a national championship this season. They will be led by all-BIG EAST first team selections Toni Alugbue and Jeni Houser, along with second team selection Maggie Brindock. Further information and game notes for the first round match-up against Ohio State will be available on und.com later this week.
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Looks to Continue Hot Streak in Arizona
- W. Golf. DiLisio Fires Six-Under Par 138 To Take Two Round Lead
- M. Basketball. Irish Increase Win Streak to Five With Victory Over Georgia Tech
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Another Big Run Prods Irish
- W. Basketball. Irish Beat #8 Seminoles to Retain ACC Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Use Huge Second Half to Defeat Michigan, 16-5
- W. Lacrosse. No. 9 Irish Knock Off No. 8 Duke in Conference Opener
- Fencing. Irish Cruise To Third Consecutive Women's ACC Title, Sweep MVP Honors
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Top No. 8 Seminoles to Win ACC Regular Season Title
- Swimming & Diving. Three More Notre Dame Swimmers Likely To Qualify For NCAA Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏅 @ACCTrackField Champion! @NDXCTF's Anna Rohrer wins her 1st individual ACC track title in the 5,000m. 📰… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 minutes ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ 5th Straight Win 💯 Longest Active Streak in @theACC Go inside the locker room after @NDmbb's 64-60 win over Georgia… 55 minutes ago
- ☘️ 5th Straight Win 💯 Longest Active Streak in @theACC Go inside the locker room after @NDmbb's 64-60 win over Geo… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- ☘️ 3 STRAIGHT ACC TITLES Women's @NDFencing team downs North Carolina 20-7 for its 3rd straight @ACCFencing title. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 13 hours ago
- 4x ACC CHAMPS! @ndwbb earns its 4th regular season ACC title with 79-61 win vs FSU. ND's won 6 straight regular s… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago