Nov 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
Earlier this week, the Notre Dame volleyball team gathered together as one team at Club Naimoli located within the confines of the Joyce Center, hoping their season could be extended at least for one more game. It was Selection Sunday, and the Irish were anxiously awaiting whether or not they had received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. Coming off three consecutive losses to Marquette, South Florida (in the first round of the BIG EAST tournament) and Ohio, the regular season hadn’t ended quite the way Notre Dame expected, but a chance to play another game would be the perfect opportunity to re-right the ship.
The good news popped up shortly after 4 p.m. as the live announcement of the tournament bracket on ESPNU revealed Notre Dame (20-9) would be playing Ohio State (22-10) this Friday at 5 p.m. ET in Lexington, Ky. For the Irish, it will mark the first time since 2009 that a Debbie Brown coached squad has appeared in the NCAA tournament. Should Notre Dame advance past the Buckeyes, it will face either 16th seeded Kentucky or East Tennessee State.
Overall, Notre Dame’s body of work and strength of schedule, especially during early non-conference play, helped in securing a tournament berth. Two impact wins came against top-six RPI teams including Louisville (No. 4) in five sets on the road and Kansas (No. 6) during the Golden Dome Invitational in mid-September. The Irish should relish the underdog role throughout the tourney, as many of their wins this season have been exciting, come-from-behind victories against higher rated opponents.
The Irish are one of three BIG EAST teams competing for a national championship this season. They will be led by all-BIG EAST first team selections Toni Alugbue and Jeni Houser, along with second team selection Maggie Brindock. Further information and game notes for the first round match-up against Ohio State will be available on und.com later this week.
- M. Basketball. A Big Awards Day For Jerian Grant
- Baseball. Irish Welcome Eastern Michigan To The Eck For Tuesday Showdown
- Softball. Three-Peat For Nasland As ACC Pitcher Of The Week
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Back To #1
- W. Basketball. McGraw Appreciates Notre Dame's Run More Than Ever
- Football. Blue-Gold Game Saturday, April 18 At 12:30 P.M. ET On NBCSN
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Women Savor Fifth Straight NCAA Final Four Opportunity
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 77, #5/6 Baylor 69 (NCAA Championship - Oklahoma City Regional Final)
- W. Basketball. Baylor vs. Notre Dame Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Headed To Fifth Straight Final Four After Downing #5/6 Baylor, 77-68
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Softball's Rachel Nasland is ACC Pitcher of the week for the 3rd straight week! Two wins this weekend vs. Va. Tech. http://t.co/QkFAY1cePF 12 hours ago
- WBB Final Four shirt in our Shop (and yes: we'll add the other two teams before shipping) shop.und.com/Notre_Dame_Fig… http://t.co/FkrMYv3CCx 16 hours ago
- 🏈 NDFB Spring Game will air on NBCSN on Sat. April 18 at 12:30 PM. #GoGold #BeatBlue. (We don't say "Go Blue" here) http://t.co/9GLhBpu8Yu 16 hours ago
- RT @WatchND: We will have much more coverage from @ndwbb's victory over Baylor over next 24 hours. 21 hours ago
- RT @WatchND: Video: Highlights of @ndwbb victory over Baylor to advance to their FIFTH straight Final Four Watch: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/k4aj… 21 hours ago