Nov 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EST
Earlier this week, the Notre Dame volleyball team gathered together as one team at Club Naimoli located within the confines of the Joyce Center, hoping their season could be extended at least for one more game. It was Selection Sunday, and the Irish were anxiously awaiting whether or not they had received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. Coming off three consecutive losses to Marquette, South Florida (in the first round of the BIG EAST tournament) and Ohio, the regular season hadn’t ended quite the way Notre Dame expected, but a chance to play another game would be the perfect opportunity to re-right the ship.
The good news popped up shortly after 4 p.m. as the live announcement of the tournament bracket on ESPNU revealed Notre Dame (20-9) would be playing Ohio State (22-10) this Friday at 5 p.m. ET in Lexington, Ky. For the Irish, it will mark the first time since 2009 that a Debbie Brown coached squad has appeared in the NCAA tournament. Should Notre Dame advance past the Buckeyes, it will face either 16th seeded Kentucky or East Tennessee State.
Overall, Notre Dame’s body of work and strength of schedule, especially during early non-conference play, helped in securing a tournament berth. Two impact wins came against top-six RPI teams including Louisville (No. 4) in five sets on the road and Kansas (No. 6) during the Golden Dome Invitational in mid-September. The Irish should relish the underdog role throughout the tourney, as many of their wins this season have been exciting, come-from-behind victories against higher rated opponents.
The Irish are one of three BIG EAST teams competing for a national championship this season. They will be led by all-BIG EAST first team selections Toni Alugbue and Jeni Houser, along with second team selection Maggie Brindock. Further information and game notes for the first round match-up against Ohio State will be available on und.com later this week.
- W. Tennis. Irish Breeze To 7-0 Season-Opening Victory Over Broncos
- M. Tennis. Lebedev, Howells Sweep ACC Weekly Honors
- Swimming & Diving. Coumos Earns Second ACC Diving Citation Of Season
- Football. Jeff Quinn Named Notre Dame Offensive Line Coach
- Softball. #NDSB30 Top Five: 2000s
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Announces Resignation as Irish Women’s Soccer Coach
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Named ACC Player of the Week
- M. Lacrosse. Men's Lacrosse Announces Two Preseason Exhibitions
- W. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Combine Veteran Experience With Young Talent
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Get ready for @NDWomensTennis' 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣8️⃣ campaign by catching up on all you need to know before the Irish hit th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- Go behind-the-scenes with all things Fighting Irish Media and learn how the pros of @NDFIM tell the best stories of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- After coaching 1️⃣2️⃣ @NFL linemen, Jeff Quinn has been named @NDFootball's Offensive Line coach. Congratulations,… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Before @NDSoftball's 30th season kicks off on February 9, take a look 👀 back at the best Irish moments of the 2000s… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Who do you think is this week’s @tire_rack Student-Athlete of the Week? Vote now! #GoIrish 15 hours ago