Nov 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
Earlier this week, the Notre Dame volleyball team gathered together as one team at Club Naimoli located within the confines of the Joyce Center, hoping their season could be extended at least for one more game. It was Selection Sunday, and the Irish were anxiously awaiting whether or not they had received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. Coming off three consecutive losses to Marquette, South Florida (in the first round of the BIG EAST tournament) and Ohio, the regular season hadn’t ended quite the way Notre Dame expected, but a chance to play another game would be the perfect opportunity to re-right the ship.
The good news popped up shortly after 4 p.m. as the live announcement of the tournament bracket on ESPNU revealed Notre Dame (20-9) would be playing Ohio State (22-10) this Friday at 5 p.m. ET in Lexington, Ky. For the Irish, it will mark the first time since 2009 that a Debbie Brown coached squad has appeared in the NCAA tournament. Should Notre Dame advance past the Buckeyes, it will face either 16th seeded Kentucky or East Tennessee State.
Overall, Notre Dame’s body of work and strength of schedule, especially during early non-conference play, helped in securing a tournament berth. Two impact wins came against top-six RPI teams including Louisville (No. 4) in five sets on the road and Kansas (No. 6) during the Golden Dome Invitational in mid-September. The Irish should relish the underdog role throughout the tourney, as many of their wins this season have been exciting, come-from-behind victories against higher rated opponents.
The Irish are one of three BIG EAST teams competing for a national championship this season. They will be led by all-BIG EAST first team selections Toni Alugbue and Jeni Houser, along with second team selection Maggie Brindock. Further information and game notes for the first round match-up against Ohio State will be available on und.com later this week.
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Named National ITA Arthur Ashe Award Winner
- M. Lacrosse. Monday Brunch: Tough Ending in Columbus for Corrigan’s Crew
- Baseball. Vierling Earns ACC All-Freshman Team Honors
- Softball. #2 Michigan Ousts #23 Irish 6-2 In Ann Arbor Regional Final
- M. Lacrosse. 12th-Rated North Carolina Knocks Out Third Seed Notre Dame
- Softball. #23 Irish Return To Regional Final With Shutouts Of Valpo, Miami
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🎾 Quentin Monaghan The Arthur Ashe Award winner for great leadership & sportsmanship. INFO: und.com/sports/m-tenni… amp.twimg.com/v/fab30c75-2a5… 2 hours ago
- ND in Stanley Cup Playoffs Erik Condra (Tampa Bay) vs Ian Cole & Bryan Rust (Pitt) Eastern Conf. Final 8pm | NBCSN https://t.co/PY5EgPhWb8 6 hours ago
- 🍀 Quentin Monaghan 2x Captain 4x All-Conference And NOW, Arthur Ashe Award Recipient INFO: und.com/sports/m-tenni… amp.twimg.com/v/83ecdde4-a85… 9 hours ago
- ☘ Barbara Sullivan & Matt Landis They're 2 of the best defensive players in the nation, & 2 of the best teammates. amp.twimg.com/v/f345da50-232… 15 hours ago
- 🍀 This 86-year-old Irish fan's wish was to see a @NDFootball game. Thanks to her grandchildren, her wish came true. amp.twimg.com/v/3a8df912-1e5… 1 day ago