Nov 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
Earlier this week, the Notre Dame volleyball team gathered together as one team at Club Naimoli located within the confines of the Joyce Center, hoping their season could be extended at least for one more game. It was Selection Sunday, and the Irish were anxiously awaiting whether or not they had received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. Coming off three consecutive losses to Marquette, South Florida (in the first round of the BIG EAST tournament) and Ohio, the regular season hadn’t ended quite the way Notre Dame expected, but a chance to play another game would be the perfect opportunity to re-right the ship.
The good news popped up shortly after 4 p.m. as the live announcement of the tournament bracket on ESPNU revealed Notre Dame (20-9) would be playing Ohio State (22-10) this Friday at 5 p.m. ET in Lexington, Ky. For the Irish, it will mark the first time since 2009 that a Debbie Brown coached squad has appeared in the NCAA tournament. Should Notre Dame advance past the Buckeyes, it will face either 16th seeded Kentucky or East Tennessee State.
Overall, Notre Dame’s body of work and strength of schedule, especially during early non-conference play, helped in securing a tournament berth. Two impact wins came against top-six RPI teams including Louisville (No. 4) in five sets on the road and Kansas (No. 6) during the Golden Dome Invitational in mid-September. The Irish should relish the underdog role throughout the tourney, as many of their wins this season have been exciting, come-from-behind victories against higher rated opponents.
The Irish are one of three BIG EAST teams competing for a national championship this season. They will be led by all-BIG EAST first team selections Toni Alugbue and Jeni Houser, along with second team selection Maggie Brindock. Further information and game notes for the first round match-up against Ohio State will be available on und.com later this week.
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- Football. Championship Road Runs Through South Bend
- W. Rowing. Club Four Finishes Eighth At Head Of The Charles
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- "We knew we had to out-execute these guys." Daelin Hayes knew what had to be done to secure @NDFootball's victory… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Bright lights, big stage, all Irish. No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball downed No. 1️⃣1️⃣ USC under the lights at Notre Dame S… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball's win vs. USC is the largest win against a top-20 team since 1992. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-footb… 4 hours ago
- Junior @NDMensTennis player Alex Lebedev advanced at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-tenni… 5 hours ago
- The Irish look for their third win in the last four matches as @NDSoccer takes on Miami. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 7 hours ago