Nov 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EST
Earlier this week, the Notre Dame volleyball team gathered together as one team at Club Naimoli located within the confines of the Joyce Center, hoping their season could be extended at least for one more game. It was Selection Sunday, and the Irish were anxiously awaiting whether or not they had received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. Coming off three consecutive losses to Marquette, South Florida (in the first round of the BIG EAST tournament) and Ohio, the regular season hadn’t ended quite the way Notre Dame expected, but a chance to play another game would be the perfect opportunity to re-right the ship.
The good news popped up shortly after 4 p.m. as the live announcement of the tournament bracket on ESPNU revealed Notre Dame (20-9) would be playing Ohio State (22-10) this Friday at 5 p.m. ET in Lexington, Ky. For the Irish, it will mark the first time since 2009 that a Debbie Brown coached squad has appeared in the NCAA tournament. Should Notre Dame advance past the Buckeyes, it will face either 16th seeded Kentucky or East Tennessee State.
Overall, Notre Dame’s body of work and strength of schedule, especially during early non-conference play, helped in securing a tournament berth. Two impact wins came against top-six RPI teams including Louisville (No. 4) in five sets on the road and Kansas (No. 6) during the Golden Dome Invitational in mid-September. The Irish should relish the underdog role throughout the tourney, as many of their wins this season have been exciting, come-from-behind victories against higher rated opponents.
The Irish are one of three BIG EAST teams competing for a national championship this season. They will be led by all-BIG EAST first team selections Toni Alugbue and Jeni Houser, along with second team selection Maggie Brindock. Further information and game notes for the first round match-up against Ohio State will be available on und.com later this week.
- M. Basketball. Best Under Brey, Irish Defeat Mastodons to Move to 9-0
- W. Basketball. Top Two Teams to Tangle Wednesday
- Fencing. Kiefer Claims Grand Prix Gold Over Strong Weekend For Irish
- M. Basketball. Fort Wayne Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Basketball. Jackie Young Named ACC Rookie of the Week
- M. Basketball. Colson Named ACC Player Of The Week
- Softball. Irish Softball Expands Camp Opportunities By Popular Demand
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Adds To Emmy Collection
- M. Basketball. Irish Equal Best Start Under Brey with Victory Over Aggies
- W. Basketball. Irish Offense Explodes In 114-54 Victory Over Crusaders
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏀 Flashback to the 2012 Final Four @ndwbb downed UConn 83-75 in overtime to advance to @NCAA title game. 📽 See ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDWSwimdive Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏊♀️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/eMQ1HSoblL 7 hours ago
- 🏀 SEASON MILESTONES Both @ndwbb stars Lindsay Allen & Brianna Turner reached 1,000 career points in 2016. Who wil… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDWSwimdive Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏊♀️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/DjDxmClauX 12 hours ago
- ☘️ ND's Last Second Stunner! In 2013, Skylar Diggins led #2 @ndwbb to a win over UConn for the BIG EAST Championsh… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago