Nov 29, 2012, 9:31 AM EST
The men’s and women’s cross country teams concluded their seasons Nov. 17 in Louisville, Ky. with the NCAA Championship Meet.
The women were led by an impressive pack featuring the trio of senior Rebecca Tracy, sophomore Gabby Gonzales, and junior Alexa Aragon, who crossed the finish line of the 6K race together in a time of 20:47 at 96th, 97th, and 98th overall, respectively. The team placed 15th out of 31 teams with 394 total points.
The men’s team struggled at nationals without all-BIG EAST runner Jeremy Rae, who was forced to sit out of the race with a leg injury. The team placed 28th overall with 591 total points.
Despite the disappointing result of the race, several positive outcomes could be taken away from the men’s race. Chief among these was the impressive performance of junior Martin Grady, who filled Rae’s position as the team’s top runner, and finished 52nd overall in a time of 30:20 in the 10K race. Also, the men put in a strong team performance, without Rae, in the Great Lakes Regionals on Nov. 9 just to qualify for nationals.
Both teams faced tough competition throughout the season from some of the nation’s elite programs at meets including the Notre Dame Invitational and Wisconsin Invitational, and showed that, when healthy, they could hold their own among the top runners in the country.
Many cross country runners will continue to run in the winter and spring seasons for the Irish track & field teams. Look for an experienced and competitive squad of runners to return next fall to lead the Irish cross country teams back to their winning ways.
- M. Tennis. Irish Etch Sixth Sweep In 7-0 Victory Over Hoosiers
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Alamo Irish Classic Finale
- W. Tennis. Irish Win Third Straight With 5-2 Victory Over Louisville
- M. Lacrosse. Sunday Brunch: Irish Check Opening Day Boxes
- Softball. #11/10 Michigan Defeats Irish 9-2
- M. Ice Hockey. Resilient Irish Play Providence To 3-3 Tie
- Baseball. Solomon Strikes Out Nine In Victory
- W. Basketball. Crucial ACC Test Sunday at #21 Syracuse
- Football. Onward Notre Dame: Corey Robinson Premiers Saturday Night On NBCSN
- M. Lacrosse. Garnsey's Career Day Leads Irish to Victory Over Hoyas
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️@NDWomensLax's Special Win Coach Halfpenny records 100th victory at ND with 12-5 win at Michigan. 👀@NDcoachPenny und.com/sports/w-lacro… 3 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 🏀 ACC MILESTONE @NDmbb downs NC State 81-72 for 5th ACC road win. "A winning road record in this league is a huge achi… 6 hours ago
- 🏀 ACC MILESTONE @NDmbb downs NC State 81-72 for 5th ACC road win. "A winning road record in this league is a huge… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago
- ☘️ IRISH WIN SEASON OPENER Ryder Garnsey scored a career-high 6 goals in #4 @NDlacrosse's 16-10 win over Georgetow… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Unreal moment between father & son. 🎹@CoreyRobinson13 on Piano. 🎵@DavidTheAdmiral Singing. Corey Robinson Story Saturday… 21 hours ago