Nov 29, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
The men’s and women’s cross country teams concluded their seasons Nov. 17 in Louisville, Ky. with the NCAA Championship Meet.
The women were led by an impressive pack featuring the trio of senior Rebecca Tracy, sophomore Gabby Gonzales, and junior Alexa Aragon, who crossed the finish line of the 6K race together in a time of 20:47 at 96th, 97th, and 98th overall, respectively. The team placed 15th out of 31 teams with 394 total points.
The men’s team struggled at nationals without all-BIG EAST runner Jeremy Rae, who was forced to sit out of the race with a leg injury. The team placed 28th overall with 591 total points.
Despite the disappointing result of the race, several positive outcomes could be taken away from the men’s race. Chief among these was the impressive performance of junior Martin Grady, who filled Rae’s position as the team’s top runner, and finished 52nd overall in a time of 30:20 in the 10K race. Also, the men put in a strong team performance, without Rae, in the Great Lakes Regionals on Nov. 9 just to qualify for nationals.
Both teams faced tough competition throughout the season from some of the nation’s elite programs at meets including the Notre Dame Invitational and Wisconsin Invitational, and showed that, when healthy, they could hold their own among the top runners in the country.
Many cross country runners will continue to run in the winter and spring seasons for the Irish track & field teams. Look for an experienced and competitive squad of runners to return next fall to lead the Irish cross country teams back to their winning ways.
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- Football. Championship Road Runs Through South Bend
- W. Rowing. Club Four Finishes Eighth At Head Of The Charles
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- "We knew we had to out-execute these guys." Daelin Hayes knew what had to be done to secure @NDFootball's victory… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Bright lights, big stage, all Irish. No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball downed No. 1️⃣1️⃣ USC under the lights at Notre Dame S… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- No. 1️⃣3️⃣ @NDFootball's win vs. USC is the largest win against a top-20 team since 1992. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-footb… 4 hours ago
- Junior @NDMensTennis player Alex Lebedev advanced at the ITA Midwest Regional Championships. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-tenni… 5 hours ago
- The Irish look for their third win in the last four matches as @NDSoccer takes on Miami. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 7 hours ago