Nov 29, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
The men’s and women’s cross country teams concluded their seasons Nov. 17 in Louisville, Ky. with the NCAA Championship Meet.
The women were led by an impressive pack featuring the trio of senior Rebecca Tracy, sophomore Gabby Gonzales, and junior Alexa Aragon, who crossed the finish line of the 6K race together in a time of 20:47 at 96th, 97th, and 98th overall, respectively. The team placed 15th out of 31 teams with 394 total points.
The men’s team struggled at nationals without all-BIG EAST runner Jeremy Rae, who was forced to sit out of the race with a leg injury. The team placed 28th overall with 591 total points.
Despite the disappointing result of the race, several positive outcomes could be taken away from the men’s race. Chief among these was the impressive performance of junior Martin Grady, who filled Rae’s position as the team’s top runner, and finished 52nd overall in a time of 30:20 in the 10K race. Also, the men put in a strong team performance, without Rae, in the Great Lakes Regionals on Nov. 9 just to qualify for nationals.
Both teams faced tough competition throughout the season from some of the nation’s elite programs at meets including the Notre Dame Invitational and Wisconsin Invitational, and showed that, when healthy, they could hold their own among the top runners in the country.
Many cross country runners will continue to run in the winter and spring seasons for the Irish track & field teams. Look for an experienced and competitive squad of runners to return next fall to lead the Irish cross country teams back to their winning ways.
- Cross Country. Cross Country Tabs Four Captains for 2017 Season
- W. Soccer. What to Watch: Butler vs. Notre Dame
- M. Basketball. Irish Legend Tom Hawkins Passes Away
- W. Soccer. Irish Add Casper to Women’s Soccer Staff
- Bigger Than Brick. Premium Seating Added To Football Game Day Experience
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - Visitors Tunnel and Locker Room
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Claims ITA National Summer Championship
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Brings Home Four Nations Tournament Title
- Bigger Than Brick. #NDBiggerThanBrick - The Server Room
- W. Soccer. ACC Network Extra to Broadcast 13 Matches
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- *impatiently waiting* twitter.com/ndfootball/sta… 10 hours ago
- ☘ For Season Ticket Holders A limited number of passes to the new South Club on game day are available. TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- 🏈 Another Look at the South Club Season @NDFootball ticket holders have the chance to purchase a South Club member… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- ☘ First Look at the South Club! South Club at ND Stadium is an added premium experience for ticket holders on game… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 16 Days Last year, @NDFootball's #16 & @NDBaseball outfielder Torii Hunter Jr. was drafted… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago