Nov 29, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
The men’s and women’s cross country teams concluded their seasons Nov. 17 in Louisville, Ky. with the NCAA Championship Meet.
The women were led by an impressive pack featuring the trio of senior Rebecca Tracy, sophomore Gabby Gonzales, and junior Alexa Aragon, who crossed the finish line of the 6K race together in a time of 20:47 at 96th, 97th, and 98th overall, respectively. The team placed 15th out of 31 teams with 394 total points.
The men’s team struggled at nationals without all-BIG EAST runner Jeremy Rae, who was forced to sit out of the race with a leg injury. The team placed 28th overall with 591 total points.
Despite the disappointing result of the race, several positive outcomes could be taken away from the men’s race. Chief among these was the impressive performance of junior Martin Grady, who filled Rae’s position as the team’s top runner, and finished 52nd overall in a time of 30:20 in the 10K race. Also, the men put in a strong team performance, without Rae, in the Great Lakes Regionals on Nov. 9 just to qualify for nationals.
Both teams faced tough competition throughout the season from some of the nation’s elite programs at meets including the Notre Dame Invitational and Wisconsin Invitational, and showed that, when healthy, they could hold their own among the top runners in the country.
Many cross country runners will continue to run in the winter and spring seasons for the Irish track & field teams. Look for an experienced and competitive squad of runners to return next fall to lead the Irish cross country teams back to their winning ways.
- M. Golf. Irish Battle at Maui Jim Intercollegiate
- W. Golf. Irish Eighth After Two Rounds At The Schooner Classic
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Pittsburgh
- Football. Late Field Goal Upends Irish
- M. Golf. Barens' Eagle Boosts Irish First Round
- M. Soccer. #3 Irish Sting #2 Orange 2-1 On Late Gallagher Tally
- W. Volleyball. Irish Impress in 3-0 Win Over Louisville
- Softball. Irish Prepare For Historic Meeting With USSSA Pride
- Football. The Upsized Irish Football Recruiting Process
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame to Unveil New Floor for ACC Opener
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🍀ND REWRITING HISTORY ⚾️@NDBaseball's Trey Mancini (@Orioles) becomes 3rd MLB player to hit HR in 1st 3 starts. https://t.co/KW4GDIxMSU 13 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Love Thee Notre Dame ☘️ https://t.co/Wg55lDjnvd 15 hours ago
- ☘️IRISH TOUCHDOWN! Kizer ➡️ Equanimeous St. Brown. @NDFootball 35 | Duke 28 https://t.co/1x87KE7tHs 17 hours ago
- 🏈TOUCHDOWN! Josh Adams' 9-yard TD run ties the game. @NDFootball 28 | Duke 28 https://t.co/7WNsfLTncE 17 hours ago
- ☘️TOUCHDOWN IRISH! DeShone Kizer earns his 15th career rushing TD. @NDFootball 7 | Duke 0 https://t.co/WRa2MLMpjj 19 hours ago