Nov 29, 2012, 9:31 AM EST
The men’s and women’s cross country teams concluded their seasons Nov. 17 in Louisville, Ky. with the NCAA Championship Meet.
The women were led by an impressive pack featuring the trio of senior Rebecca Tracy, sophomore Gabby Gonzales, and junior Alexa Aragon, who crossed the finish line of the 6K race together in a time of 20:47 at 96th, 97th, and 98th overall, respectively. The team placed 15th out of 31 teams with 394 total points.
The men’s team struggled at nationals without all-BIG EAST runner Jeremy Rae, who was forced to sit out of the race with a leg injury. The team placed 28th overall with 591 total points.
Despite the disappointing result of the race, several positive outcomes could be taken away from the men’s race. Chief among these was the impressive performance of junior Martin Grady, who filled Rae’s position as the team’s top runner, and finished 52nd overall in a time of 30:20 in the 10K race. Also, the men put in a strong team performance, without Rae, in the Great Lakes Regionals on Nov. 9 just to qualify for nationals.
Both teams faced tough competition throughout the season from some of the nation’s elite programs at meets including the Notre Dame Invitational and Wisconsin Invitational, and showed that, when healthy, they could hold their own among the top runners in the country.
Many cross country runners will continue to run in the winter and spring seasons for the Irish track & field teams. Look for an experienced and competitive squad of runners to return next fall to lead the Irish cross country teams back to their winning ways.
- Football. Todd Lyght Introductory Quotes
- Football. Keith Gilmore Introductory Quotes
- Football. Autry Denson Introductory Quotes
- Football. Mike Sanford Introductory Quotes
- Football. Brian Kelly Press Conference Transcript
- Football. Irish Extra: Sanford Brings Both Experience and Memories to Irish Sideline
- Football. Irish Extra: Lyght Provides Valuable Link to Irish Past
- Football. Irish Extra: Denson Comes Home to Notre Dame
- Football. Irish Extra: It's Like Old Times Again for Keith Gilmore
- Football. Notre Dame Announces 2015 Football Staff Changes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- For more information about the campus events celebrating Father Hesburgh's life, please visit hesburgh.nd.edu http://t.co/bY7dIf6DZ7 39 minutes ago
- ICYMI Notre Dame Athletics Tribute to Father Hesburgh~ ntrda.me/1N8xy7J #ThankYouFrTed 44 minutes ago
- .@Tire_Rack #SAotW Runner Up was @NDHockey's @CalPetersen40, who stopped 88 of 91 shots vs BC this weekend #GoIrish http://t.co/CGCaMASTYL 1 hour ago
- .@Tire_Rack #SAotW @NDXCTF's Molly Seidel swept distance events at @theACC Indoor T&F Champs, winning the 5000m & 3000m, and named MVP. 1 hour ago
- Votes have been counted and your @Tire_Rack Student Athlete of the Week is @NDXCTF's Molly Seidel @ByGollyMolly12 http://t.co/W4YnepQRd0 1 hour ago