Dec 8, 2012, 7:26 PM EDT
Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving squads closed out the fall portion of their schedules with great performances at the Hawkeye Invitational and the Ohio State Invitational, respectively.
The men claimed second place at the Hawkeye Invitational behind the number one nationally ranked Michigan Wolverines. The Irish, who are ranked 21st in the nation according to the latest College Swimming Coaches Association of America (CSCAA) poll, defeated #18 Iowa, #25 Denver and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
The women, who are ranked twenty-first according to the CSCAA, saw six program records fall with dominating performances by a number of swimmers, especially sophomore Emma Reaney. Reaney did not simply break Notre Dame program records, she crushed them. Reaney reset her own 200 IM record and broke Katie Carroll’s 400 IM record from 2007 as well as Samantha Maxwell’s 100 and 200 breast records from 2009. Kim Holden also broke Kellyn Kuhlke’s 100 fly record at the meet. Finally, together Reaney, Holden, Kelly Ryan and Catherine Galletti set the sixth record as they broke the 400 medley relay record.
This weekend’s success also was evident by the number of Irish swimmers who now have top 50 times in the nation in an individual event. Click here to see the same breakdown of top 50 times before the teams’ performances at the Hawkeye and Ohio State Invitationals.
32nd – Kelly Ryan (49.57)
14th – Kim Holden (53.07)
30th – Kelly Ryan (53.67)
10th – Kelly Ryan (1:54.05)
17th – Kim Holden (1:55.06)
4th – Emma Reaney (59.38)
29th – Christen McDonough (1:01:36)
49th – Lauren Stauder (1:02.00)
3rd – Emma Reaney (2:07.60)
15th – Kim Holden (52.98)
28th – Bridget Casey (1:58.62)
4th – Emma Reaney (1:55.05)
9th – Emma Reaney (4:08.63)
19th – Frank Dyer (19.99)
32nd – Frank Dyer (44.06)
15th – Frank Dyer (1:36.27)
14th – Frank Dyer (4:20.63)
40th – Bertie Nel (1:45.99)
20th – Christopher Johnson (54.38)
38th – Zachary Stephens (55.05)
46th – Cameron Miller (55.26)
16th – Zachary Stephens (1:58.26)
29th – Jonathan Williamson (1:46.90)
33rd – Zachary Stephens (1:48.02)
37th – Colin Babcock (1:48.16)
Note: The rankings were as of Monday, December 3rd.
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Nominee
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey Press Conference - October 19, 2017
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Honor Seniors, Take On #15 Duke Friday
- W. Volleyball. Sunshine State Bound: The Irish Are Set To Play FSU And Miami This Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Swimming & Diving Welcomes Georgia Tech on Friday
- W. Basketball. Irish Selected as ACC Preseason Favorites Once Again
- Football. Notre Dame-USC Preview: The Unrivaled Rivalry
- M. Lacrosse. NYC Networking Trip Up Next On Notre Dame Lacrosse Fall Experience
- M. Tennis. Irish Set To Compete At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Trio to Represent Irish at ACC Media Day
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.