Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 AM EST
The only big football game in the month of February is the Super Bowl, but on the first Wednesday of the month, college football steals the spotlight for a few hours once again. National Signing Day fell on Feb. 1 this year, and Fighting Irish Digital Media carried all the action live on UND.com.
But Signing Day wasn’t the only time we heard from the Notre Dame football team. During the basketball and hockey seasons, several members of the team emerged as Irish superfans. Led by Kapron Lewis-Moore, they were often spotted courtside at Purcell or against the glass in Compton, going crazy with the rest of the student section.
The team’s presence was particularly evident on Feb. 22 against West Virginia (men’s basketball) and Feb. 24 versus Michigan State (hockey).
On Saturdays in the fall, they may reach a celebrity status, playing in front of 80,795 and millions more on national television. But this week, the Irish football players themselves were the ones in the crowd, reminding us that at the end of the day, they’re students and fans, just like the rest of us.
After being courtside at Purcell Pavilion for the men’s basketball game on Wednesday, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Mike Golic Jr., Matt Mulvey and Mike Grieco were right against the glass cheering on their fellow student-athletes.
Sporting the same floppy hat that intimidated the Mountaineers earlier in the week, Lewis-Moore may have also earned himself a spot on the Notre Dame cheerleading squad. The senior defensive end raised a big yellow “Go Irish!” sign and rallied the Notre Dame student body throughout the evening.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the pool, freshman Nick Nemetz dominated at the BIG EAST Championships, sweeping the 1- and 3-meter diving events.
It was a big weekend in the pool for Notre Dame freshman Nick Nemetz. The Ann Arbor, Mich. native took home a pair of titles at the BIG EAST Conference Diving Championships, winning the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the University of Pittsburgh’s Trees Pool.
Nemetz won his first career collegiate title on Friday evening, by posting a 325.15 in the 3-meter event. He became the third consecutive Irish diver to win the event, following on the heels of Nathan Geary in 2011 and Wes Villafor in 2010. Nemetz also became the first freshman diver in Notre Dame history to win a league title.
Read the rest of the post here.
Elsewhere, the men’s basketball team pushed its winning streak to nine games, thanks in part to an incredible 20-point comeback at Villanova.
- M. Basketball. Best Under Brey, Irish Defeat Mastodons to Move to 9-0
- W. Basketball. Top Two Teams to Tangle Wednesday
- Fencing. Kiefer Claims Grand Prix Gold Over Strong Weekend For Irish
- M. Basketball. Fort Wayne Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Basketball. Jackie Young Named ACC Rookie of the Week
- M. Basketball. Colson Named ACC Player Of The Week
- Softball. Irish Softball Expands Camp Opportunities By Popular Demand
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Adds To Emmy Collection
- M. Basketball. Irish Equal Best Start Under Brey with Victory Over Aggies
- W. Basketball. Irish Offense Explodes In 114-54 Victory Over Crusaders
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏀 Flashback to the 2012 Final Four @ndwbb downed UConn 83-75 in overtime to advance to @NCAA title game. 📽 See ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDWSwimdive Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏊♀️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/eMQ1HSoblL 7 hours ago
- 🏀 SEASON MILESTONES Both @ndwbb stars Lindsay Allen & Brianna Turner reached 1,000 career points in 2016. Who wil… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDWSwimdive Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏊♀️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/DjDxmClauX 12 hours ago
- ☘️ ND's Last Second Stunner! In 2013, Skylar Diggins led #2 @ndwbb to a win over UConn for the BIG EAST Championsh… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago