Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 AM EST
The only big football game in the month of February is the Super Bowl, but on the first Wednesday of the month, college football steals the spotlight for a few hours once again. National Signing Day fell on Feb. 1 this year, and Fighting Irish Digital Media carried all the action live on UND.com.
But Signing Day wasn’t the only time we heard from the Notre Dame football team. During the basketball and hockey seasons, several members of the team emerged as Irish superfans. Led by Kapron Lewis-Moore, they were often spotted courtside at Purcell or against the glass in Compton, going crazy with the rest of the student section.
The team’s presence was particularly evident on Feb. 22 against West Virginia (men’s basketball) and Feb. 24 versus Michigan State (hockey).
On Saturdays in the fall, they may reach a celebrity status, playing in front of 80,795 and millions more on national television. But this week, the Irish football players themselves were the ones in the crowd, reminding us that at the end of the day, they’re students and fans, just like the rest of us.
After being courtside at Purcell Pavilion for the men’s basketball game on Wednesday, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Mike Golic Jr., Matt Mulvey and Mike Grieco were right against the glass cheering on their fellow student-athletes.
Sporting the same floppy hat that intimidated the Mountaineers earlier in the week, Lewis-Moore may have also earned himself a spot on the Notre Dame cheerleading squad. The senior defensive end raised a big yellow “Go Irish!” sign and rallied the Notre Dame student body throughout the evening.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the pool, freshman Nick Nemetz dominated at the BIG EAST Championships, sweeping the 1- and 3-meter diving events.
It was a big weekend in the pool for Notre Dame freshman Nick Nemetz. The Ann Arbor, Mich. native took home a pair of titles at the BIG EAST Conference Diving Championships, winning the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the University of Pittsburgh’s Trees Pool.
Nemetz won his first career collegiate title on Friday evening, by posting a 325.15 in the 3-meter event. He became the third consecutive Irish diver to win the event, following on the heels of Nathan Geary in 2011 and Wes Villafor in 2010. Nemetz also became the first freshman diver in Notre Dame history to win a league title.
Read the rest of the post here.
Elsewhere, the men’s basketball team pushed its winning streak to nine games, thanks in part to an incredible 20-point comeback at Villanova.
- Fencing. Irish All-Around Victorious On Day One At ACC Championships
- W. Basketball. ACC Championship at Stake on Sunday on ESPN2
- Softball. Irish Fight To 5-4 Victory Over NCAA Champ #4 OU
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey East Championship At Stake
- Baseball. Big Inning Dooms Irish At San Diego
- Track. Conference Championship is 'Icing on the Cake'
- Softball. Irish Use Explosive Sixth To Stop #11/12 Georgia, 10-7
- M. Ice Hockey. #13 Irish Bounce #5 Boston University 3-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Clinches Upset of Northwestern at Top Spot
- W. Golf. Opportunity Awaits Women's Golf Team At Westbrook Spring Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ 2017 ACC CHAMPIONS! The men's @NDFencing team wins its 3rd straight ACC title with a 14-13 victory over Duke.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 minutes ago
- Won Meyo Invitational✔️ Set @NDXCTF Record✔️ Nate Richartz pole vaults @ACCTrackField Championships. Sat | Noon 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- 🏒 Top-15 Win #13 @NDHockey downs #5 Boston University 3-1. ND plays Boston University Saturday for the regular-se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- ☘@NDXCTF Sprinter 🏈@NDFootball CB Troy Pride Jr. races at ACC Track & Field Championships! Fri | 4:45pm & 6:05pm… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ 5th Straight Victory! #9 @NDWomensLax ends Elon's 4-game unbeaten streak with 16-7 win. und.com/sports/w-lacro… 1 day ago