Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The only big football game in the month of February is the Super Bowl, but on the first Wednesday of the month, college football steals the spotlight for a few hours once again. National Signing Day fell on Feb. 1 this year, and Fighting Irish Digital Media carried all the action live on UND.com.
But Signing Day wasn’t the only time we heard from the Notre Dame football team. During the basketball and hockey seasons, several members of the team emerged as Irish superfans. Led by Kapron Lewis-Moore, they were often spotted courtside at Purcell or against the glass in Compton, going crazy with the rest of the student section.
The team’s presence was particularly evident on Feb. 22 against West Virginia (men’s basketball) and Feb. 24 versus Michigan State (hockey).
On Saturdays in the fall, they may reach a celebrity status, playing in front of 80,795 and millions more on national television. But this week, the Irish football players themselves were the ones in the crowd, reminding us that at the end of the day, they’re students and fans, just like the rest of us.
After being courtside at Purcell Pavilion for the men’s basketball game on Wednesday, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Mike Golic Jr., Matt Mulvey and Mike Grieco were right against the glass cheering on their fellow student-athletes.
Sporting the same floppy hat that intimidated the Mountaineers earlier in the week, Lewis-Moore may have also earned himself a spot on the Notre Dame cheerleading squad. The senior defensive end raised a big yellow “Go Irish!” sign and rallied the Notre Dame student body throughout the evening.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the pool, freshman Nick Nemetz dominated at the BIG EAST Championships, sweeping the 1- and 3-meter diving events.
It was a big weekend in the pool for Notre Dame freshman Nick Nemetz. The Ann Arbor, Mich. native took home a pair of titles at the BIG EAST Conference Diving Championships, winning the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the University of Pittsburgh’s Trees Pool.
Nemetz won his first career collegiate title on Friday evening, by posting a 325.15 in the 3-meter event. He became the third consecutive Irish diver to win the event, following on the heels of Nathan Geary in 2011 and Wes Villafor in 2010. Nemetz also became the first freshman diver in Notre Dame history to win a league title.
Read the rest of the post here.
Elsewhere, the men’s basketball team pushed its winning streak to nine games, thanks in part to an incredible 20-point comeback at Villanova.
- Football. Football, Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event Set For July 12
- M. Lacrosse. Three Incoming Freshmen Named Under Armour All-Americans
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Swimming Celebrates Academic Achievement
- Track. Barber To Compete At World University Games
- M. Ice Hockey. Ten Named to Hockey East All-Academic Team
- W. Golf. Irish Foursome Named To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- Football. Irish Extra: Football 101
- Track. Irish Named To All-ACC Academic Track & Field Teams
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🇺🇸 http://t.co/uDud7r9aFm 3 hours ago
- Vote to get @ndwbb'rs to the @WNBA All-🌟 Game! 💯Achonwa ☔️Loyd 🌟McBride 🐆Peters ⚡️Diggins ➡️ wnba.com/players/ http://t.co/76hYjVpS5p 19 hours ago
- 🏀DUNK YOU VERY MUCH Jerian Grant's "dunkalicious" slam is up for @ESPYS top play. VOTE NOW: ESPYS.com/vote vine.co/v/Od5rX7TWDxg 2 days ago
- The question isn't if an ND alum wins an ESPY, it's how many. Jerian(Top Play) Skylar(WNBA) ESPYS.com/vote http://t.co/BeBmSPO4zG 3 days ago
- DID YOU KNOW:If you lay the "Golden Dome" on its side, only 2 separate @IvyQuad from ND? Info: bit.ly/1J5MFNO http://t.co/TpuLttUeR1 3 days ago