Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The only big football game in the month of February is the Super Bowl, but on the first Wednesday of the month, college football steals the spotlight for a few hours once again. National Signing Day fell on Feb. 1 this year, and Fighting Irish Digital Media carried all the action live on UND.com.
But Signing Day wasn’t the only time we heard from the Notre Dame football team. During the basketball and hockey seasons, several members of the team emerged as Irish superfans. Led by Kapron Lewis-Moore, they were often spotted courtside at Purcell or against the glass in Compton, going crazy with the rest of the student section.
The team’s presence was particularly evident on Feb. 22 against West Virginia (men’s basketball) and Feb. 24 versus Michigan State (hockey).
On Saturdays in the fall, they may reach a celebrity status, playing in front of 80,795 and millions more on national television. But this week, the Irish football players themselves were the ones in the crowd, reminding us that at the end of the day, they’re students and fans, just like the rest of us.
After being courtside at Purcell Pavilion for the men’s basketball game on Wednesday, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Mike Golic Jr., Matt Mulvey and Mike Grieco were right against the glass cheering on their fellow student-athletes.
Sporting the same floppy hat that intimidated the Mountaineers earlier in the week, Lewis-Moore may have also earned himself a spot on the Notre Dame cheerleading squad. The senior defensive end raised a big yellow “Go Irish!” sign and rallied the Notre Dame student body throughout the evening.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the pool, freshman Nick Nemetz dominated at the BIG EAST Championships, sweeping the 1- and 3-meter diving events.
It was a big weekend in the pool for Notre Dame freshman Nick Nemetz. The Ann Arbor, Mich. native took home a pair of titles at the BIG EAST Conference Diving Championships, winning the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the University of Pittsburgh’s Trees Pool.
Nemetz won his first career collegiate title on Friday evening, by posting a 325.15 in the 3-meter event. He became the third consecutive Irish diver to win the event, following on the heels of Nathan Geary in 2011 and Wes Villafor in 2010. Nemetz also became the first freshman diver in Notre Dame history to win a league title.
Read the rest of the post here.
Elsewhere, the men’s basketball team pushed its winning streak to nine games, thanks in part to an incredible 20-point comeback at Villanova.
- Track. Irish Prepared For Historic Penn Relays
- Baseball. Vorsheck, Vierling Vanquish Eastern Michigan Wednesday Night
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Set For Rematch With Duke In ACC Semifinals
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Seek Redemption Against Eagles
- W. Tennis. Irish Advance At ACCs After Emphatic 4-0 Victory
- Football. Notre Dame & The NFL Draft
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Land Three On All-ACC Team
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ACC Championship vs. Louisville
- W. Rowing. Martin Stone Presented Honorary Monogram
- Baseball. Irish Halt Crusaders Tuesday Night
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🎾 ACC PLAYER OF THE WEEK @NDMensTennis SR Josh Hagar downed the #1 NCAA doubles team with partner Eddy Covalschi.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- 📸 PHOTO OF THE WEEK #6 @NDlacrosse celebrates after beating #16 UNC 14-13 on Senior Day. Presented by @VividSeats https://t.co/UrHtYvNVYm 10 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: "When you walk down that tunnel you need to be locked in."-Brian Kelly 📽 The sideline, field & locker room from @NDFoot… 14 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH WIN AT NORTHWESTERN! @NDSoftball records 8 runs scored in 3 innings to beat Northwestern 10-2. Game Recap: und.com/sports/w-softb… 15 hours ago
- ⚾️ ND KNOCKS OFF VALPO! SR Pitcher Ryan Smoyer gave up 4 hits in 5 innings in @NDBaseball's 10-3 win over Valpo.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago