Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The only big football game in the month of February is the Super Bowl, but on the first Wednesday of the month, college football steals the spotlight for a few hours once again. National Signing Day fell on Feb. 1 this year, and Fighting Irish Digital Media carried all the action live on UND.com.
But Signing Day wasn’t the only time we heard from the Notre Dame football team. During the basketball and hockey seasons, several members of the team emerged as Irish superfans. Led by Kapron Lewis-Moore, they were often spotted courtside at Purcell or against the glass in Compton, going crazy with the rest of the student section.
The team’s presence was particularly evident on Feb. 22 against West Virginia (men’s basketball) and Feb. 24 versus Michigan State (hockey).
On Saturdays in the fall, they may reach a celebrity status, playing in front of 80,795 and millions more on national television. But this week, the Irish football players themselves were the ones in the crowd, reminding us that at the end of the day, they’re students and fans, just like the rest of us.
After being courtside at Purcell Pavilion for the men’s basketball game on Wednesday, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Mike Golic Jr., Matt Mulvey and Mike Grieco were right against the glass cheering on their fellow student-athletes.
Sporting the same floppy hat that intimidated the Mountaineers earlier in the week, Lewis-Moore may have also earned himself a spot on the Notre Dame cheerleading squad. The senior defensive end raised a big yellow “Go Irish!” sign and rallied the Notre Dame student body throughout the evening.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the pool, freshman Nick Nemetz dominated at the BIG EAST Championships, sweeping the 1- and 3-meter diving events.
It was a big weekend in the pool for Notre Dame freshman Nick Nemetz. The Ann Arbor, Mich. native took home a pair of titles at the BIG EAST Conference Diving Championships, winning the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the University of Pittsburgh’s Trees Pool.
Nemetz won his first career collegiate title on Friday evening, by posting a 325.15 in the 3-meter event. He became the third consecutive Irish diver to win the event, following on the heels of Nathan Geary in 2011 and Wes Villafor in 2010. Nemetz also became the first freshman diver in Notre Dame history to win a league title.
Read the rest of the post here.
Elsewhere, the men’s basketball team pushed its winning streak to nine games, thanks in part to an incredible 20-point comeback at Villanova.
- Football. Notre Dame-Miami 2016: By the Numbers
- Football. University of Notre Dame Football Media Conference: Mike McGlinchey
- Football. University of Notre Dame Football Media Conference: James Onwualu
- Football. University of Notre Dame Football Media Conference: Torii Hunter Jr.
- Football. University of Notre Dame Football Media Conference: DeShone Kizer
- M. Soccer. Irish Alums Gear Up For MLS Postseason
- Football. The Story Behind the Story: How ESPN’s Latest ‘30 for 30’ Documentary Came To Be
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Stung By #13 MSU 1-0
- Football. Irish Return From Bye Week, Play Host Miami
- Baseball. Haunted Eck Returns Friday Night
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- TODAY IN HISTORY: 1997 @NDBaseball alum & @Brewers Mgr. Craig Counsell scored #WorldSeries winning run for @Marlins https://t.co/Qod9s2j4Y9 12 hours ago
- New Team. New Season. New Opportunities. @NDmbb freshman T.J. Gibbs discusses transitioning from high school to No… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 15 hours ago
- ☘️ Back-to-Back ACC Matches Catch @NDVolleyball's next home games. Friday | Miami | 7pm Sunday | FSU | 1pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 22 hours ago
- ⚾ Good luck to @NDBaseball alum & @Indians pitcher Jeff Manship in the #WorldSeries vs the Cubs! https://t.co/luBRgAQgvV 1 day ago
- 📆 Mark your calendar! Thursday is @NDSoccer Senior Night. #12 ND vs. Miami 7pm | Alumni Stadium TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago