Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EST
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish On Road At #13 Louisville Sunday
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Wrap Up Preseason with Scrimmage Sunday
- W. Lacrosse. Attacking Fusion Sign of Bright Future
- Track. Notre Dame Opens Competition at Meyo Invitational
- M. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Fall To No. 12 Illini 5-2
- M. Ice Hockey. DiPauli and Fogarty Lead No. 10 Irish Past Vermont 2-1
- M. Golf. Men’s Golf Kicks Off Spring Season At Earl Yestingsmeier Match Play Event
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Poised to Battle No. 2/1 North Carolina
- Fencing. Keys to the Meet: Duke Duals
- Monogram Club. Strong Of Heart Archives: Father John Smyth
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏀 IRISH TAKEOVER ESPN We're tearin it up on Snapchat for @CollegeGameDay 🍀 Follow: ndirish https://t.co/zy4HfRpCqj 1 hour ago
- 🏀 They're ready. @CollegeGameDay #NDvsUNC https://t.co/DnTsd80WBY 2 hours ago
- IT'S GAMEDAY @ndmbb vs. #1 UNC Get ready for the showdown. 7pm | ESPN @CollegeGameDay amp.twimg.com/v/76818dd8-879… 2 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW? ND vs. North Carolina is the 35th time in program history that @NDmbb has faced a #1 ranked team https://t.co/CAIgoUDk9Z 18 hours ago
- 🏈@CoachMikeElston helped recruit 24 players... On Signing Day he recruited an extra player to help out his family. amp.twimg.com/v/c7b07477-293… 1 day ago