Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Brauer Signs With South Carolina Stingrays
- W. Soccer. Challenging 2018 Schedule Announced For Women's Soccer
- W. Basketball. Women's Basketball Nominated for Three ESPYS
- Track & Field. Irish Set To Compete At USA Track & Field Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Announce Incoming Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The #NDFamily is everywhere! 🇪🇸 As @NDLacrosse took in the sights of Madrid, @NotreDame alum Matthew Kineen taught… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 15 hours ago
- 🏀 Best Team ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Moment ☑️ @ndwbb 🏀 Best Play ☑️ @ndwbb Yep, you know who we're voting for. Give… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 17 hours ago
- 👟 @NDXCTF is lacing up its shoes for @usatf Championships! 8️⃣ current and former Irish track and field athletes a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 19 hours ago
- 🎤 Tap tap. Is this thing on? Your favorite Irish moments are now LIVE on #IGTV! Follow @ thefightingirish on Insta… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago
- 😎☘️ #FirstDayOfSummer #GoIrish https://t.co/dFx5PZilJS 23 hours ago