Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Named National ITA Arthur Ashe Award Winner
- M. Lacrosse. Monday Brunch: Tough Ending in Columbus for Corrigan’s Crew
- Baseball. Vierling Earns ACC All-Freshman Team Honors
- Softball. #2 Michigan Ousts #23 Irish 6-2 In Ann Arbor Regional Final
- M. Lacrosse. 12th-Rated North Carolina Knocks Out Third Seed Notre Dame
- Softball. #23 Irish Return To Regional Final With Shutouts Of Valpo, Miami
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🎾 Quentin Monaghan The Arthur Ashe Award winner for great leadership & sportsmanship. INFO: und.com/sports/m-tenni… amp.twimg.com/v/fab30c75-2a5… 4 hours ago
- ND in Stanley Cup Playoffs Erik Condra (Tampa Bay) vs Ian Cole & Bryan Rust (Pitt) Eastern Conf. Final 8pm | NBCSN https://t.co/PY5EgPhWb8 8 hours ago
- 🍀 Quentin Monaghan 2x Captain 4x All-Conference And NOW, Arthur Ashe Award Recipient INFO: und.com/sports/m-tenni… amp.twimg.com/v/83ecdde4-a85… 11 hours ago
- ☘ Barbara Sullivan & Matt Landis They're 2 of the best defensive players in the nation, & 2 of the best teammates. amp.twimg.com/v/f345da50-232… 17 hours ago
- 🍀 This 86-year-old Irish fan's wish was to see a @NDFootball game. Thanks to her grandchildren, her wish came true. amp.twimg.com/v/3a8df912-1e5… 1 day ago