Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EST
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Basketball. Irish Suffer First Conference Defeat at No. 10 Florida State
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Aims to Bounce Back at Boston College
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Partners With Bread Of Life/Lou's Lads Food Drive
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros: Recapping The 2016 Season
- W. Tennis. Season In Preview: Irish Veterans And Rookies Poised To Make Impact
- W. Basketball. Irish Recruit Patterson Named McDonald's All-American
- M. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Look For Perfect Combination Of Youth And Experience
- M. Basketball. SI Now - Why Is Notre Dame Underappreciated?
- General News. Torain Joins Athletics Department As Associate Athletics Director
- W. Basketball. Irish Fall in Final Minute at Tennessee
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- A 4th grade class from California wished to see their dream college. Wish granted! See their trip to @NotreDame. https://t.co/nR7lK5ONvG 11 hours ago
- FIGHTING IRISH vs. SEMINOLES @accmbb Showdown. @NDmbb: #1 in the ACC Florida State: #3 in the ACC ⏰7pm 💻… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- Commit to @NDFootball✔️ 1st Day of College✔️ Follow early enrollee Aaron Banks to his 1st ND class & see who he ra… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: WATCH:A group of California 4th-graders head to Notre Dame to experience firsthand the University to which they've pledged… 1 day ago
- Who is V.J. Beachem's role model? His favorite NBA player? Find out on Inside @NDmbb. 📺 UND.com/breytvshow https://t.co/4mzC9yW6Uo 1 day ago