Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EST
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Looks to Continue Hot Streak in Arizona
- W. Golf. DiLisio Fires Six-Under Par 138 To Take Two Round Lead
- M. Basketball. Irish Increase Win Streak to Five With Victory Over Georgia Tech
- M. Lacrosse. Replay: Another Big Run Prods Irish
- W. Basketball. Irish Beat #8 Seminoles to Retain ACC Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Use Huge Second Half to Defeat Michigan, 16-5
- W. Lacrosse. No. 9 Irish Knock Off No. 8 Duke in Conference Opener
- Fencing. Irish Cruise To Third Consecutive Women's ACC Title, Sweep MVP Honors
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Top No. 8 Seminoles to Win ACC Regular Season Title
- Swimming & Diving. Three More Notre Dame Swimmers Likely To Qualify For NCAA Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏅 @ACCTrackField Champion! @NDXCTF's Anna Rohrer wins her 1st individual ACC track title in the 5,000m. 📰… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 minutes ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ 5th Straight Win 💯 Longest Active Streak in @theACC Go inside the locker room after @NDmbb's 64-60 win over Georgia… 51 minutes ago
- ☘️ 5th Straight Win 💯 Longest Active Streak in @theACC Go inside the locker room after @NDmbb's 64-60 win over Geo… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- ☘️ 3 STRAIGHT ACC TITLES Women's @NDFencing team downs North Carolina 20-7 for its 3rd straight @ACCFencing title. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 13 hours ago
- 4x ACC CHAMPS! @ndwbb earns its 4th regular season ACC title with 79-61 win vs FSU. ND's won 6 straight regular s… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 18 hours ago