Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Golf. Rushton Captures Medalist Honors At The 2015 Kickoff Challenge
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Tops MTSU For First Win Of 2015
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish Stun #14 Indiana On Overtime Tally
- W. Soccer. #7/6 Irish Extinguish Portland's Pilot Light, 2-0
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Portland
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: Indiana
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Drops Opening Matches In Tennessee
- M. Ice Hockey. Pro Camp Set To Open On Monday
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Opens Season At Kickoff Challenge
- W. Soccer. Patience Key As #7/6 Irish Top Santa Clara, 2-1
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💥 Ladies and Gentlemen... 🏈 It's back. #TrickShotMonday @NDFootball Watch Full: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/xkdW… http://t.co/VIKoasToil 13 hours ago
- 🏀 2 Sports. 🏈 2 Covers. 📚 1 Week of School complete. At this rate we'll have 60-ish covers this year! #Facts http://t.co/wN1znK7jov 14 hours ago
- 🏈 WATCH ALERT Onward Notre Dame returns tonight at 6:30 pm ET on @NBCSportsNet Full Trailer: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/RtNm… http://t.co/miCSB5YjkM 17 hours ago
- 🍀 @NDvolleyball celebrates first win of the "Jim McLaughlin era". http://t.co/0rKNP2kd2z 23 hours ago
- 2013 NCAA Champion: 1 2012 NCAA Champion: 0 🍀See how #4 @NDMenSoccer downed #14 Indiana in OT. snpy.tv/1UmJ00n 1 day ago