Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EST
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Basketball. Best Under Brey, Irish Defeat Mastodons to Move to 9-0
- W. Basketball. Top Two Teams to Tangle Wednesday
- Fencing. Kiefer Claims Grand Prix Gold Over Strong Weekend For Irish
- M. Basketball. Fort Wayne Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Basketball. Jackie Young Named ACC Rookie of the Week
- M. Basketball. Colson Named ACC Player Of The Week
- Softball. Irish Softball Expands Camp Opportunities By Popular Demand
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Adds To Emmy Collection
- M. Basketball. Irish Equal Best Start Under Brey with Victory Over Aggies
- W. Basketball. Irish Offense Explodes In 114-54 Victory Over Crusaders
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏀 Flashback to the 2012 Final Four @ndwbb downed UConn 83-75 in overtime to advance to @NCAA title game. 📽 See ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDWSwimdive Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏊♀️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/eMQ1HSoblL 7 hours ago
- 🏀 SEASON MILESTONES Both @ndwbb stars Lindsay Allen & Brianna Turner reached 1,000 career points in 2016. Who wil… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDWSwimdive Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏊♀️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/DjDxmClauX 12 hours ago
- ☘️ ND's Last Second Stunner! In 2013, Skylar Diggins led #2 @ndwbb to a win over UConn for the BIG EAST Championsh… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago