Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- Football. Football, Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event Set For May 4
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Welcomes Board of Directors Class of 2017
- Baseball. Irish Score Two In The Ninth To Earn 4-3 Road Win Over Toledo
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Enjoy Historic Offensive Night In 17-2 Win Over Toledo
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Plays In Its First ACC Championship This Weekend
- M. Basketball. New Jersey Guard Matt Farrell Set To Join Notre Dame Men's Basketball Program
- Fencing. Fencing Signs Five Freshmen To Next Year's Team
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Loses at No. 13 Ohio State, 12-9
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Close Homestand Against Toledo Wednesday
- W. Rowing. Rowing Recap: Onward To Michigan
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDIrishEyes: It’s time - The top 5 twitter accts in the running for #Tweetmaster are …. @NDFabFive @Mr_JoeyCresta @alouise44 @Yes_Sheeh… 1 hour ago
- RT @NDFabFive: Fab5 has set records for most nominations, most consecutive nominations, least victories, and most ppl sharing a twitter pag… 1 hour ago
- RT @NDXCTF: Women in 10th after day one of #ACCOTF. Let's go Irish! 1 hour ago
- RT @NDXCTF: ND Men are in fourth place at the ACC Championships after day one. Go Irish! #ACCOTF 1 hour ago
- So do you have @theshirtND yet? #GetYours bit.ly/1lWpjQm 2 hours ago