Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award
- Monogram Club. First Person: Danielle Green's ESPY Moment
- W. Basketball. First Person: Danielle Greenâ€™s ESPY Moment
- M. Soccer. Abundance Of Soccer On Air
- Baseball. Cavan Biggio Named A Cape Cod League All-Star
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Patberg Found Promise In USA Debut
- M. Soccer. Hodan Tabbed To U.S. U-23 MNT ID Camp Roster
- Fencing. Kiefer, Meinhardt Provide Summer Highlights
- Softball. Top Instruction At Softball Academies
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Basketball Is Truly A Family Affair
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- On the mound for the Houston @Astros ... LANCE MCCULLERS! Take a look at when @LMcCullers43 visited @NDFootball: twitter.com/lmccullers43/s… 11 hours ago
- 🏈Need a FREE HOTEL for the GT Weekend? Thanks to @visitsouthbend, you can win one! Enter: woobox.com/qnwu2q http://t.co/DeFJPoycTi 12 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW: The famed Notre Dame Monogram Club presents student-athletes who have earned three Monograms a ring. http://t.co/WCm0uf6GF6 14 hours ago
- 🇺🇸WEARING THE RED, WHITE & BLUE ⚽️Patrick Hodan (@NDMenSoccer) invited to @USSoccer U-23 College Training Camp. http://t.co/Q6DO5S4bXc 1 day ago
- RT @SportingKC: "What's good for the goose is good for the gander." twitter.com/fightingirish/… 2 days ago