Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Central Michigan, 4-3, In Kalamazoo
- Softball. #21 Irish, Longtime Foe Valparaiso Meet In Thursday Showdown
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh And Stephen O'Hara Named All-ACC
- W. Lacrosse. Margaret Smith Named All-ACC
- M. Tennis. Leaving It All On The Court
- Softball. Strikeout Cancer, A Cause Ingrained In The Tradition Of Notre Dame Softball
- W. Lacrosse. Battle-Tested Irish Ready For ACC Tournament
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- Final @NDTheLeprechaun tryouts are tomorrow at 6 pm ET in the Pit. Meet the first Leprechaun hopeful, Chris Genco- bit.ly/1hkNUv5 37 minutes ago
- We can see that our teams are already angling for your #NDDay votes... Click to learn more notredameday.nd.edu You can pick 3 #IrishOn3 1 hour ago
- All @TheACC Honors- @NDLacrosse Matt Kavanagh, Stephen O'Hara bit.ly/QB0z2Y @NDWomensLax Margaret Smith bit.ly/1tGtySb 1 hour ago
- Today starts @TheACC Championships for @NDwomensTennis & @NDwomensLax! #HitPlay on our Hello ACC! @Spotify playlist spoti.fi/17HRyft 2 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: SOLD OUT! Our #StrikeoutCancer Trivia Night tomorrow is SOLD OUT! Thanks to everyone who bought tables - get ready for some… 2 hours ago