Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Basketball. Select-A-Seat Event Coming Up For Men's Basketball
- Softball. Winter Returns, NPF Debuts At Melissa Cook Stadium In August
- M. Basketball. Pro Hoops Alumni Recap
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Schedule Announced
- M. Ice Hockey. Palmieri Named To Team USA’s World Cup of Hockey Roster
- M. Basketball. Irish Hoops Open Practice Recap
- M. Basketball. Grant, Cooley NBA Summer League Champions
- Fencing. Five More Newcomers To Join Irish This Fall
- M. Lacrosse. Two Irish Representatives Help U.S. Win World U19 Men’s Lacrosse Crown
- M. Basketball. Irish Events Rank Among Most-Watched So Far in 2016
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- DID YOU KNOW? @ndwbb's Ruth Riley was the 1st player to be named MVP of both an NCAA & WNBA title game. https://t.co/yvUerFNCI6 11 hours ago
- Rio Countdown: 10 Days ND's Triple Threat: Ruth Riley 🏀 ☘NCAA Champ 🏆2x WNBA Champ 🏅2004 Olympic Champ #OlympicND https://t.co/YMbFOUK8QF 14 hours ago
- Shake down the thunder.⚡️ What's your favorite Touchdown Jesus photo? Send it to us using #GoIrish. https://t.co/l0jAYCwhoq 1 day ago
- Rio Countdown: 11 Days ND's Shannon Boxx ended her pro ⚽️ career a 3x Olympic Champ. 🏅2012 🏅2008 🏅2004 #OlympicND https://t.co/Nck7glTzX8 1 day ago
- DID YOU KNOW? ND's Molly Seidel & Molly Huddle have won 27 U.S. titles combined. Seidel ('16) 🏆4 Huddle ('06) 🏆23 https://t.co/BrJNcwUqBF 2 days ago