Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Soccer. #1/2 Irish Stifle Pitt 2-0
- W. Swimming. Notre Dame Swimming and Diving Defeats Michigan State, Iowa to Open Season
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Swimming and Diving Defeats Michigan State, Iowa to Open Season
- W. Tennis. Irish Open Season Strong At Wildcat Invite
- Cross Country. Rohrer Crowned Champion In Notre Dame Invitational
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ITA All-American Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. #9 Irish Open Hockey Season With Exhibition Versus USNTDP
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's Lacrosse Hosts Annual Steak & Hot Dog Game on Saturday at Noon
- Football. Notre Dame-Syracuse 2016: Five Things to Watch
- M. Soccer. #1/2 Irish Take On Pitt In Friday Keystone State Clash
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ IRISH WIN! @NDMenSoccer's Jon Gallagher scores both goals in ACC win vs. Pitt. READ: und.com/sports/m-socce… https://t.co/5NpZk5CLJC 4 hours ago
- 🛩@NDFootball's landed in New Jersey. We're up to 50,000 miles donated by @Delta for an ND service project. INFO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 9 hours ago
- "This has been one of our better weeks of practices." @NDFootball captain Isaac Rochell talks building a stronger… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 11 hours ago
- 🏈 The game is won in preparation. We're ready. @NDFootball vs. Syracuse Saturday Noon | ESPN https://t.co/hab12nwyBC 16 hours ago
- 🏈 Top-5 QB Averaging 24 points per game, @NDFootball quarterback DeShone Kizer ranks 5th nationally in scoring. 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago