Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EST
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Vs. Iowa Quotes
- M. Ice Hockey. No. 18 Irish Fall To No. 8 Harvard 4-1 In Shillelagh Opener
- M. Basketball. Beachem Scores 16, No. 17 Notre Dame Beats Iowa 68-62
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Duel With UCLA Saturday In Bahamas
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3 Notre Dame 94, Denver 52
- W. Basketball. #3 Irish Use Balanced Effort to Rout Denver, 94-52
- W. Volleyball. Irish End Year With Heartbreaking 3-2 Loss At Boston College
- M. Basketball. #17/18 Notre Dame and Iowa Meet in AdvoCare Invitational Consolation Game
- Football. North of Confident, South of Cocky
- M. Basketball. Game Notes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 One Final Stand Give 'em hell, Irish. #6 @NDFootball vs #9 Stanford Get HYPE with the PRIMER amp.twimg.com/v/54fec5ba-cef… 2 hours ago
- 🏈 ND vs STANFORD The next step to #AccomplishTheMission #6 @NDFootball vs #9 Stanford 7:30 pm | FOX https://t.co/ZjjkfflV4E 16 hours ago
- ✈️@NDFootball's landed in San Francisco #Ready We're up to 150,000 miles donated by @Delta for a service project https://t.co/RnyziOQh1O 18 hours ago
- 🏈 KIZER'S TIME DeShone's journey from high school quarterback to @NDFootball leader READ: und.com/sports/m-footb… https://t.co/NIJl0ciOAh 19 hours ago
- SACK = SNACK For every sack @NDFootball makes this weekend, you could win a @Medifast prize pack. #SacksForSnacks twitter.com/medifast/statu… 21 hours ago