Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Ice Hockey. Leivermann And Hellickson Selected In The 2017 NHL Draft
- Track & Field. Harris Named Academic All-American
- Swimming & Diving. Smart Swimmers' Success Saluted
- Track & Field. Irish Compete at USA Track & Field Championships
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Earns Five National Awards
- Fencing. Stabrawa Named Fencing's Director of Operations
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2017-18 Schedule
- M. Soccer. Irish Release 2017 Soccer Slate
- M. Ice Hockey. Peeke And St. Cyr Invited To USA Camp
- Softball. Bazos To Represent Greece At Euro Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #6 - @NDWomensLax squad proves they're #1 in sideline celebrations. https://t.co/JOiQd4WEaz 7 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #6 - ND ➡️ FROZEN FOUR Andrew Oglevie's OT goal vs. UMass Lowell sent @NDHockey t… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #6 - Sisters and Teammates. Karley, Ali and Riley Wester carry on a family legacy… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 11 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Photos #6 - DeShone Meets Durant @NDFootball QB DeShone Kizer met 2017 NBA Champ Kevin Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #6 - Catherine Mulquin sets, then breaks 100-yard @NDWSwimDive backstroke record. und.com/sports/c-swim/… 13 hours ago