Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- W. Golf. Campbell Repeats as All-ACC Selection
- M. Basketball. Irish To Face Defending National Champion Villanova In Inaugural Never Forget Tribute Classic
- W. Swimming. Irish Add Ninth Signee to Incoming Freshman Class
- M. Tennis. Irish To Face Stanford In NCAA Championship First Round
- W. Tennis. Irish To Face UCLA In NCAA Championship First Round
- M. Lacrosse. Landis, Garnsey Earn Major ACC Men's Lacrosse Awards
- Baseball. Getting To Know Baseball's Cole Daily
- Football. 2016 Notre Dame National Football League Draft Recap
- Baseball. Getting To Know Baseball's Nick Podkul
- W. Golf. Irish Bound For NCAA Birmingham Regional
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- What's the best way to watch Romeo Okwara highlights? In Slow Motion. Okwara ➡️ New York @Giants #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/KmMWO9jGTJ 29 minutes ago
- 🏈 From the @NDFootball #DBoys to the @Jaguars squad. Sheldon Day will ALWAYS be a leader on defense. #NDinTheNFL https://t.co/xQJpWLVW2W 1 hour ago
- 🏈 Our dream football game ... 🏀 Pat Connaughton, Jerian Grant & Eric Atkins vs. Malik Zaire & Torii Hunter Jr. amp.twimg.com/v/cdc17fad-6d4… 2 hours ago
- 124 days until the season begins. Be a part of the 250th sellout. SEASON TICKETS: UND.com/FootballTickets https://t.co/srvudktq90 9 hours ago
- Whole World Watchin' As the @Chiefs 3rd round pick, KeiVarae Russell is 1 of ND's top-5 cornerbacks drafted in NFL. https://t.co/z8WPMWcez1 1 day ago