Dec 30, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
Though most seasons were finished by the time June came around, it was nevertheless a busy month for the Fighting Irish.
Student-athletes took part in summer session classes, with many enrolled in a course called “Career Development Through Community Engagement,” where they spent time giving back to those in the Michiana area.
Back on campus, the Kelly Cares Foundation welcomed a large crowd to the LaBar Practice Complex for the third annual Football 101 event to benefit breast cancer prevention, awareness and early detection initiatives.
Notre Dame also held its annual football fantasy camp. Around 50 of the biggest Irish fans from across the country came to South Bend to experience firsthand what it’s like to be a Notre Dame football player. Heisman Trophy winners Johnny Lattner and Tim Brown were among the many former stars who returned as guest coaches/speakers.
It was a big month for Irish basketball too, as Mike Brey received a long-term contract extension.
On the track, pole vaulter Mary Saxer (’09) competed for a spot on the United States Olympic team.
For 2009 graduate Mary Saxer (@SaxDefyGravity), dreams of representing the United States at the 2012 Summer Olympics came to a heartbreaking halt on Sunday in Eugene, Ore.
Saxer tied Lacy Janson for third place with a top mark of 14 feet, 9 inches, but missed out on qualifying for London based on the tiebreaker rules. (Janson had fewer missed attempts in the event.)
She is set as the team’s alternate, so there is a small chance she could end up on the team, but more than likely, her hopes of wearing the red, white & blue on the sport’s biggest stage will have to wait. Her next opportunity would be at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.
Read the rest of the post here.
The Irish softball team presented a check for more than $25,000 to South Bend’s Memorial Hospital. The money was raised at the Strike Out Cancer event held earlier in the season.
- Baseball. Irish Earn First ACC Road Victory With 7-4 Triumph Over No. 11 Miami
- M. Golf. Irish To Co-Host Oak Hill Intercollegiate On Legendary Layout
- Baseball. Irish Fall To No. 11 Miami, 3-2, In Late Hurricane Rally
- Track. Women Place Second, Men Third At Notre Dame's First-Ever Outdoor ACC Championships
- W. Lacrosse. No. 9 Women's Lacrosse Loses to No. 1 Syracuse, 18-10
- W. Rowing. #9 Irish Close Competition At ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Beats Syracuse In Last Match Of Regular Season
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Dominates Boston College In Final Match Of Regular Season
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Finishes Tied For Fifth At First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Lacrosse. #5 Maryland Uses Late Surge To Get By #8 Notre Dame, 12-8
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDBaseball: Irish Win! Huge victory over #11 Miami, 7-4 ... 1st ACC road win in school history ... 1st ranked win since beating #10 Okl… 10 hours ago
- Keep up with @NDBaseball vs Miami by following them on Twitter #GameInProgress #GoIrish 10 hours ago
- Good luck to @NDBaseball in their Game 2 vs #25 Miami! Tune in here on ESPN3- bit.ly/1r3F4od #GoIrish #BeatHurricanes 13 hours ago
- RT @NDsidRuss: .@Mr_JoeyCresta and @scottysideburns show off the @NDBaseball throwback jerseys for Sunday night's game at #11 Miami. http:/… 13 hours ago
- RT @NDBaseball: Irish starting lineup against No. 11 Miami - game 2 up next on @ESPN3 and @WatchND. http://t.co/dimezZmhqW 13 hours ago