Dec 30, 2012, 9:34 AM EDT
With the academic year winding down, May was a month for recognizing students’ achievements over the past four years.
As is tradition when the team is still in the NCAA tournament, the men’s lacrosse program held its own graduation ceremony on the road.
This year, twelve seniors graduated at the Our Lady of Good Counsel Chapel on the Malvern Prep campus. Rev. James R. Flynn, O.S.A., the Head of School, said Mass, with the help of three Malvern students (and future Domers) who served as altar servers and lectors.
At the end of Mass, head coach Kevin Corrigan said a few words and introduced John Delaney (’78), a Philadelphia assistant district attorney and the president of the Notre Dame Alumni Association, to give the commencement address.
Delaney spoke about four characteristics of the university – faith, vision, passion and family. He talked about Father Sorin’s vision in founding Notre Dame, as well as the lifelong familial bond that the graduating Irish will not only have with their teammates, but with the university.
Read the rest of the post here.
Likewise, the softball team was playing in Tucson, Ariz. during the commencement festivities on campus. When they returned, the Irish recognized four student-athletes in a small ceremony at Club Naimoli in Purcell Pavilion.
After their degrees were conferred, each of the student-athletes delivered a few heartfelt words to the audience, fighting back tears, but also adding some humor, while reflecting on all they have learned and thanking those who have helped them along the way.
Chuck Lennon (’61), former executive director of the Notre Dame Alumni Association and Rev. Tom Doyle, C.S.C., Vice President for Student Affairs spoke at the event, along with Rev. Paul Doyle, C.S.C., rector of Dillon Hall and Monogram Club chaplain, who delivered the invocation and a final blessing.
Read the rest of the post here.
While Notre Dame said goodbye to most of its senior student-athletes in May, the men’s basketball team received some good news that allowed one to stick around for another season, as the NCAA granted graduate student forward Scott Martin a sixth year of eligibility.
The women’s team welcomed back two-time All-American Beth Cunningham (’97), who was named associate coach on May 1.
- M. Ice Hockey. Five Former Irish Hockey Players On NHL Opening Night Rosters
- Football. Players Media Conference Transcript - Navy Week
- M. Lacrosse. Remembering Bob Kemp: Notre Dame Lacrosse Family Honors Devoted Father
- M. Swimming. Stark's Life Lessons Still Resonate Today
- W. Swimming. Stark’s Life Lessons Still Resonate Today
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Turns 100: Volleyball
- W. Volleyball. Monogram Club Turns 100: Volleyball
- Baseball. USA Baseball And Notre Dame Announce Field For 2016 USA Baseball-Irish Classic
- General News. Notre Dame Fans Can Help Extra Yard for Teachers and ACE Program
- Football. Notre Dame Fans Can Help Extra Yard for Teachers and ACE Program
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🍀Dear ND Student Body, Coach Brey & Coach Jackson found a way to thank you for your support of @NDmbb & @NDHockey http://t.co/mV9mKclhx8 5 hours ago
- 🏈Tough games give an opportunity to get stronger as a team Go behind the scenes of @NDFootball in this week's ICON amp.twimg.com/v/af45e3d0-7a2… 7 hours ago
- ⛳️1st place by 30 shots 🏆2nd title of the year @NDwomensGolf DOMINATES at Nebraska READ: und.com/sports/w-golf/… http://t.co/zdGxBMU3ZW 19 hours ago
- 🏈"You're a good player. Don't ever doubt that." See @NDFootball fight for each other at Clemson in this week's ICON amp.twimg.com/v/5e12dcfd-0c8… 22 hours ago
- 🏈We can still accomplish the mission Go behind the scenes with Inside @NDFootball WATCH: UND.com/bktvshow amp.twimg.com/v/4764793f-b77… 1 day ago