Dec 30, 2012, 9:34 AM EDT
With the academic year winding down, May was a month for recognizing students’ achievements over the past four years.
As is tradition when the team is still in the NCAA tournament, the men’s lacrosse program held its own graduation ceremony on the road.
This year, twelve seniors graduated at the Our Lady of Good Counsel Chapel on the Malvern Prep campus. Rev. James R. Flynn, O.S.A., the Head of School, said Mass, with the help of three Malvern students (and future Domers) who served as altar servers and lectors.
At the end of Mass, head coach Kevin Corrigan said a few words and introduced John Delaney (’78), a Philadelphia assistant district attorney and the president of the Notre Dame Alumni Association, to give the commencement address.
Delaney spoke about four characteristics of the university – faith, vision, passion and family. He talked about Father Sorin’s vision in founding Notre Dame, as well as the lifelong familial bond that the graduating Irish will not only have with their teammates, but with the university.
Read the rest of the post here.
Likewise, the softball team was playing in Tucson, Ariz. during the commencement festivities on campus. When they returned, the Irish recognized four student-athletes in a small ceremony at Club Naimoli in Purcell Pavilion.
After their degrees were conferred, each of the student-athletes delivered a few heartfelt words to the audience, fighting back tears, but also adding some humor, while reflecting on all they have learned and thanking those who have helped them along the way.
Chuck Lennon (’61), former executive director of the Notre Dame Alumni Association and Rev. Tom Doyle, C.S.C., Vice President for Student Affairs spoke at the event, along with Rev. Paul Doyle, C.S.C., rector of Dillon Hall and Monogram Club chaplain, who delivered the invocation and a final blessing.
Read the rest of the post here.
While Notre Dame said goodbye to most of its senior student-athletes in May, the men’s basketball team received some good news that allowed one to stick around for another season, as the NCAA granted graduate student forward Scott Martin a sixth year of eligibility.
The women’s team welcomed back two-time All-American Beth Cunningham (’97), who was named associate coach on May 1.
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Headlines Elite Field For 2015 NCAA South Bend Regional
- Baseball. Baseball Welcomes In Michigan State For Important Non-Conference Game
- Softball. #24 Irish Travel To Michigan State For 2015 Regular Season Finale
- W. Tennis. Irish Sign Five-Star Recruit To 2015 Class
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Nabs First Team All-ACC Honors
- M. Golf. Irish Finish 11th At 2015 ACC Championship
- Softball. #24 Irish Split Senior Day Series As Koerner, Wester Tie Program Records
- Baseball. Irish Fall In 11 Innings At Wake Forest Sunday Afternoon
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Demon Deacons, 4-2, In Saturday Matchup
- Track. Irish Wrap Weekend In Iowa, Michigan
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🍀#NDDay🍀 🎾@NDMensTennis 🎾@NDWomensTennis 🏃@NDXCTF 🚣@NotreDameRowing 🔪@NDFencing ⛳️@NDwomensGolf ⛳️@NDMensGolf VOTE: NotreDameDay.ND.edu 17 hours ago
- Who's getting your #NDDay vote? 🏀@NDmbb 🏀@ndwbb ⚾️@NDBaseball ⚾️@NDsoftball ⚪️@NDlacrosse ⚪️@NDWomensLax VOTE: NotreDameDay.ND.edu 18 hours ago
- What is your favorite 🍀 Team? Think about donating $10 to them at NotreDameDay.ND.edu. ⚽️🏀🏈⚾️🎾🏉⛳️⚪️🏃🚣🔪 #NDDay http://t.co/a3J2QI3xzh 22 hours ago
- BEHOLD THE SHIRT. GET IT NOW: shop.und.com/Notre_Dame_Fig… http://t.co/BK0wDqbLHH 1 day ago
- Reading about #NDDay? WHAT IS IT 🍀Donate $10 🍀Get 5 Votes 🍀Vote for your favorite teams INFO: NotreDameDay.ND.edu/mbb http://t.co/1hcuCJlxkd 1 day ago