Dec 30, 2012, 9:34 AM EDT
With the academic year winding down, May was a month for recognizing students’ achievements over the past four years.
As is tradition when the team is still in the NCAA tournament, the men’s lacrosse program held its own graduation ceremony on the road.
This year, twelve seniors graduated at the Our Lady of Good Counsel Chapel on the Malvern Prep campus. Rev. James R. Flynn, O.S.A., the Head of School, said Mass, with the help of three Malvern students (and future Domers) who served as altar servers and lectors.
At the end of Mass, head coach Kevin Corrigan said a few words and introduced John Delaney (’78), a Philadelphia assistant district attorney and the president of the Notre Dame Alumni Association, to give the commencement address.
Delaney spoke about four characteristics of the university – faith, vision, passion and family. He talked about Father Sorin’s vision in founding Notre Dame, as well as the lifelong familial bond that the graduating Irish will not only have with their teammates, but with the university.
Read the rest of the post here.
Likewise, the softball team was playing in Tucson, Ariz. during the commencement festivities on campus. When they returned, the Irish recognized four student-athletes in a small ceremony at Club Naimoli in Purcell Pavilion.
After their degrees were conferred, each of the student-athletes delivered a few heartfelt words to the audience, fighting back tears, but also adding some humor, while reflecting on all they have learned and thanking those who have helped them along the way.
Chuck Lennon (’61), former executive director of the Notre Dame Alumni Association and Rev. Tom Doyle, C.S.C., Vice President for Student Affairs spoke at the event, along with Rev. Paul Doyle, C.S.C., rector of Dillon Hall and Monogram Club chaplain, who delivered the invocation and a final blessing.
Read the rest of the post here.
While Notre Dame said goodbye to most of its senior student-athletes in May, the men’s basketball team received some good news that allowed one to stick around for another season, as the NCAA granted graduate student forward Scott Martin a sixth year of eligibility.
The women’s team welcomed back two-time All-American Beth Cunningham (’97), who was named associate coach on May 1.
- Football. Football, Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event Set For July 12
- M. Lacrosse. Three Incoming Freshmen Named Under Armour All-Americans
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Swimming Celebrates Academic Achievement
- Track. Barber To Compete At World University Games
- M. Ice Hockey. Ten Named to Hockey East All-Academic Team
- W. Golf. Irish Foursome Named To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- Football. Irish Extra: Football 101
- Track. Irish Named To All-ACC Academic Track & Field Teams
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Vote to get @ndwbb'rs to the @WNBA All-🌟 Game! 💯Achonwa ☔️Loyd 🌟McBride 🐆Peters ⚡️Diggins ➡️ wnba.com/players/ http://t.co/76hYjVpS5p 7 hours ago
- 🏀DUNK YOU VERY MUCH Jerian Grant's "dunkalicious" slam is up for @ESPYS top play. VOTE NOW: ESPYS.com/vote vine.co/v/Od5rX7TWDxg 2 days ago
- The question isn't if an ND alum wins an ESPY, it's how many. Jerian(Top Play) Skylar(WNBA) ESPYS.com/vote http://t.co/BeBmSPO4zG 3 days ago
- DID YOU KNOW:If you lay the "Golden Dome" on its side, only 2 separate @IvyQuad from ND? Info: bit.ly/1J5MFNO http://t.co/TpuLttUeR1 3 days ago
- Not a bad week for @NDmbb's Jerian Grant. 🏀NBA 1st Round Pick 🍀@ESPYS Best Play Nominee What's Next? #NDinNBA twitter.com/ndmbb/status/6… 4 days ago