Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- M. Ice Hockey. Gilbert and Jenkins Added to Signing Class
- General News. Notre Dame Joins Elite List in Producing #1 Pro Draft Picks
- Football. Notre Dame Joins Elite List in Producing #1 Pro Draft Picks
- Softball. #21 Irish Seeded Third For Second ACC Championship Appearance
- Fencing. Lee Kiefer: Student, Athlete, World Traveler and Still So Much More
- W. Lacrosse. Barbara Sullivan Named ACC Defensive Player of the Year
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Irish Baseball Program Underscores Fight Against ALS
- M. Lacrosse. Conor Doyle Named ACC Offensive Player of the Week
- Monogram Club. Ashley Armstrong And Peter Schneider Receive Monogram Club Postgraduate Scholarships
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse To Face Ohio State in NCAA First Round
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- THE ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP STARTS HERE. @NDlacrosse opens up its Title run this Saturday, will you be there? #CCC http://t.co/xepyP8Du54 10 hours ago
- It's a 🐥. It's a ✈️. No, it's the 2015 @ACCWLax Defensive Player of the Year Barbara Sullivan! Congrats, Barbara! http://t.co/QM8vprNyuZ 17 hours ago
- Does your school have alums as head men in the MLB & NBA? We do! ⚾️C. Counsell @Brewers 🏀M. Williams @PelicansNBA http://t.co/COHG9KeYLR 1 day ago
- #1 The number "1" means more to @NDlacrosse than being selected as the NCAA's #1 seed, it means giving #1PercentMore http://t.co/MTFVLrTYqw 1 day ago
- 🍀MAY Madness is upon us! Both the men's (#1 overall seed) and women's lacrosse teams grab NCAA Championship bids. http://t.co/OOxZnq9dVg 2 days ago