Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- Softball. Irish Strikeout Cancer With Arkansas
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Tewaaraton Award Nominee
- Track. Irish Conclude Day One of Penn Relays
- Baseball. Irish & Blue Devils Play A Pair Friday
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To Clemson In Second Round Of ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall In 4-3 Heartbreaker To Louisville At ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Rally Not Enough Against Eagles
- M. Soccer. Irish Take Pitch For Annual Clash With Mexico On Friday
- Baseball. Duke Visits For Pivotal League Series
- W. Soccer. Irish Slated To Face Off With Mexico In Annual Spring Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ @NDSoftball is on a mission to fight pediatric cancer. Coach Gumpf's daughter Tatum is a survivor. Hear Tatum's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- That #FridayFeeling! ☀️ 15 Days Until Summer 🏈 120 Days Until College Football ☘ 127 Days Until Kickoff in ND Stad… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 #TBT to 2016 Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller became @NDFootball's 65th & 66th 1st round NFL draft picks (3rd all-ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- ☘ 300 CLUB Congrats, @NDWomensLax goalie Sam Giacolone on her 300th career save during ACC Championships. Sam is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH BLANK EASTERN MICHIGAN Matt Vierling scored 2 runs and 3 RBI in @NDBaseball's 5-0 victory. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/evwnYZL6H3 1 day ago