Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EST
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- Football. Todd Lyght Introductory Quotes
- Football. Keith Gilmore Introductory Quotes
- Football. Autry Denson Introductory Quotes
- Football. Mike Sanford Introductory Quotes
- Football. Brian Kelly Press Conference Transcript
- Football. Irish Extra: Sanford Brings Both Experience and Memories to Irish Sideline
- Football. Irish Extra: Lyght Provides Valuable Link to Irish Past
- Football. Irish Extra: Denson Comes Home to Notre Dame
- Football. Irish Extra: It's Like Old Times Again for Keith Gilmore
- Football. Notre Dame Announces 2015 Football Staff Changes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDfidm: This week, several coaches, admins, etc. will be sharing #FrTedMemories - our first is from @DiggerPhelps - http://t.co/gaj9PBl… 34 minutes ago
- RT @NotreDame: If you're traveling to campus, there is free all-day parking at the @EddyStreetCom parking garage & Hillcrest Hall. Shuttle … 49 minutes ago
- RT @NotreDame: Shuttle service on campus is adjusted today and tomorrow with continuous service. View a map here: ntrda.me/TMHShuttle 49 minutes ago
- RT @NotreDame: Information for Fr. Hesburgh's visitation and memorial can be found at: ntrda.me/Hesburgh http://t.co/oCZ5yhhNjX 49 minutes ago
- It's The FIX! from FIDM. Check out how our Irish teams fared this weekend- ntrda.me/1EcueFV #GoIrish http://t.co/L1QjTRhKxS 57 minutes ago