Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EST
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- Fencing. Irish All-Around Victorious On Day One At ACC Championships
- W. Basketball. ACC Championship at Stake on Sunday on ESPN2
- Softball. Irish Fight To 5-4 Victory Over NCAA Champ #4 OU
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey East Championship At Stake
- Baseball. Big Inning Dooms Irish At San Diego
- Track. Conference Championship is 'Icing on the Cake'
- Softball. Irish Use Explosive Sixth To Stop #11/12 Georgia, 10-7
- M. Ice Hockey. #13 Irish Bounce #5 Boston University 3-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Clinches Upset of Northwestern at Top Spot
- W. Golf. Opportunity Awaits Women's Golf Team At Westbrook Spring Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ 2017 ACC CHAMPIONS! The men's @NDFencing team wins its 3rd straight ACC title with a 14-13 victory over Duke.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 minutes ago
- Won Meyo Invitational✔️ Set @NDXCTF Record✔️ Nate Richartz pole vaults @ACCTrackField Championships. Sat | Noon 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- 🏒 Top-15 Win #13 @NDHockey downs #5 Boston University 3-1. ND plays Boston University Saturday for the regular-se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- ☘@NDXCTF Sprinter 🏈@NDFootball CB Troy Pride Jr. races at ACC Track & Field Championships! Fri | 4:45pm & 6:05pm… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ 5th Straight Victory! #9 @NDWomensLax ends Elon's 4-game unbeaten streak with 16-7 win. und.com/sports/w-lacro… 1 day ago