Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Top ACC Scholar-Athlete For Second Straight Year
- Track. Irish Alums Wrap Weekend At USATF Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Fischer, Gilbert Taken in NHL Draft
- W. Basketball. Ali Patberg Added To USA Basketball U19 World Championship Team
- Monogram Club. Molly Huddle ('06, track) Captures 10,000-Meter U.S. Title
- Monogram Club. Maddie Buttinger (â€™12, track) Wins Canadian Heptathlon Title At IAAF World Combined Event Capital Cup Challenge
- Softball. Irish Freshman Trio Named NFCA High School All-Americans
- M. Basketball. Grant and Connaughton Hear Their Names Called In 2015 NBA Draft
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Not a bad week for @NDmbb's Jerian Grant. 🏀NBA 1st Round Pick 🍀@ESPYS Best Play Nominee What's Next? #NDinNBA twitter.com/ndmbb/status/6… 9 hours ago
- 🏈2 @NDFootball Alums ⛳️2 ND Golf Coaches 1 Great Cause 🚴@NDscience's Road To Discovery ended at Pebble Beach #NPC http://t.co/3tPefytlRl 1 day ago
- 2 sports. 4 draft picks. Solid week for @NDmbb & @NDHockey. Congrats, Jerian, Pat, Christian & Dennis! http://t.co/rvNqryylrc 2 days ago
- Oh What A Night! 🏀@NDmbb has two selected in @NBADraft. Congrats, Jerian and Pat. #NDinNBA http://t.co/TVHL6eul9T 3 days ago
- Turn to ESPN right now. #NDinNBA twitter.com/ndmikebrey/sta… 4 days ago