Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored As A Richter Award Finalist
- W. Basketball. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Battle Buckeyes
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Virginia Tech
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: NC State & Miami
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Northeast Regional Awaits
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 17 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 23 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ IRISH DOMINATE ACC FENCING Men's & Women's @NDFencing teams combine for 4 of 6 ACC Fencer of the Year awards. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 1 day ago