Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- Football. Notre Dame Football Media Conference
- W. Golf. Records Fall as Irish Soar Into Lead at Nebraska Tourney
- W. Rowing. #ILookLikeAnEngineer Twitter Initiative Rings True For @NDRowing
- Football. The Irish & Navy Show Mutual Respect On Field & On NBCSN
- W. Golf. From The First Tee: Irish at Chip-N Club Invitational
- M. Tennis. Covalschi Falls At ITA All-American Championships
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap First Fall Weekend
- M. Soccer. #7 Irish Claw To 1-1 Draw At NC State
- Football. Brian Kelly Media Conference
- W. Volleyball. Syracuse Wins Thriller Over Irish In Five Sets
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🍀@ndwbb All-American 🏀@IndianaFever Star Natalie Achonwa talks her 1st game in the #WNBAFinals Game 2 | 8 pm ET http://t.co/yy1vQELDZh 3 hours ago
- 🍀@NDFootball returns to campus 🎤Hear Coach Kelly talk about Saturday's game vs. Navy WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… http://t.co/VGpUQ9cRLt 4 hours ago
- ⛳️All 6 players in the top 15 & records shattered 🍀18 holes to go @NDwomensGolf READ: und.com/sports/w-golf/… http://t.co/pxuSY9VXsC 7 hours ago
- 🏈An intense game & a 4th quarter opportunity to fight Behind the scenes of @NDFootball vs Clem Sneak Peek of ICON: http://t.co/7ZACYZ5Jps 20 hours ago
- 🍀ND vs Navy⚓️ Hear the story of the rivalry tonight Onward Notre Dame Premieres 6:30 | NBCSN Re-Air:10/7, 4:30 pm http://t.co/y5e7GN4WXx 22 hours ago