Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Hosts Annual Men's Basketball Media Day
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Finishes 10th at the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate
- Football. Irish Face Ancient Rival Hoping to Improve to 6-1
- W. Lacrosse. Four Captains Named For 2016
- Fencing. Irish Kick Off Season At North American Cup
- Football. Football Media Conference
- Baseball. Baseball Heading To Dominican Republic For Fall Break
- M. Ice Hockey. NBC Sports Group and Notre Dame Drop the Puck on Third Season of Notre Dame Hockey on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra
- M. Golf. Men's Golf in Eighth After Two Rounds at the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball Single Game Tickets On Sale Beginning Thursday Evening
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈"WE PROTECT THIS STADIUM." Every quarter is a battle. Watch how @NDFootball took down Navy in this week's ICON amp.twimg.com/v/de08f768-98a… 4 hours ago
- 🎥 Media Day with @NDmbb 🏀 🔥The road to the National Championship begins... Let's. Do. This. http://t.co/bNoOYzYOZj 5 hours ago
- Want to help us defend our home turf vs USC? Thanks to @Vyskcomm you can win 2 tix! Enter: woobox.com/3oq4bt http://t.co/aQUgt7ptA0 6 hours ago
- 🍁 New season, new swag. Check out our UA gear at shop.und.com http://t.co/HRl9FY2SPS 7 hours ago
- 🍀 The Irish are 5-1 🎤 Hear Coach Kelly talk about Saturday's game vs. USC WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… http://t.co/WcVNwMdsVE 12 hours ago