Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- Football. Day, Farley, Martin, Schmidt and Smith Selected As 2015 Football Captains
- Monogram Club. Mike Sprouse ('96, Tennis) Named ITA Chief Administrative And Marketing Officer
- M. Soccer. Irish Ready To Defend ACC Crown
- M. Tennis. Sprouse Name ITA Chief Administrative and Marketing Officer
- M. Tennis. Four Headed To Oracle/ITA Masters
- General News. Australia National Rugby Team to Train at Notre Dame
- M. Ice Hockey. Fogarty Named Hockey Team Captain For Second Consecutive Season
- Baseball. Baseball Welcomes Crop Of New Freshmen To Campus
- General News. Campus Crossroads Project Includes Stadium Enhancements
- M. Ice Hockey. 2015-16 Hockey Season Tickets Now On Sale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Show us your best touchdown dance for a chance to win ND football tix! thiscounts.org #NDTDDance #ThisCounts http://t.co/VMNGm1vjBz 9 hours ago
- 🏈 Questions about Campus Crossroads? Ask now! We're live at: ntrda.me/crossroads http://t.co/SrNxx67Lz2 13 hours ago
- Yes, that's @NDFootball alum Ian Williams (@IWilliams95) reacting to his @49ers returning a pick for a TD! 🏈#NDinNFL http://t.co/fb50wfZTZ3 1 day ago
- Video Board👍 Wider Seats👍 Better view of Library👍 All coming to ND Stadium in 2017. Oh yeah, 11 days until kickoff. http://t.co/Nu8tjek0JQ 2 days ago
- WHAT DOES HIGH SCORE MEAN?! Former ND stud A.J. Pollock is on 🔥🔥🔥 in August, hitting .420, tops in @MLB this month. http://t.co/BqUmJpVIpY 2 days ago