Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EST
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Pulls Away From Louisville, 71-59
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Head To Greensboro For ACC Championship
- W. Basketball. Loyd Named ACC Player of the Year, Turner Is ACC Freshman of the Year
- Baseball. Around The Bases With Notre Dame Baseball
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Extra: Hockey Seniors Ready for Final Playoff Push
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Extra: Johnson Provides Veteran Hockey Presence on Defense and in Community
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month
- M. Basketball. #12/11 Notre Dame Visits #16/14 Louisville On Wednesday
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NotreDame: "And our hearts forever, love thee, Notre Dame." #ThankYouFrTed 7 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: .@PhotosND captured a breathtaking photo during Fr. Hesburgh's procession to the Holy Cross Community Cemetary http://t.co/F… 9 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: Fr. Hesburgh's Memorial begins at 7:30. Join our live stream: ntrda.me/Hesburgh Follow the program here: http://t.co/… 9 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: We loved you Ted. We now commend you to the God you served so faithfully. We will miss you. http://t.co/hBiNSHApyw 14 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: "You don't make decisions because they're easy, because they're cheap or because they're popular. You make them because they… 14 hours ago