Dec 31, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
Of all the months, October was probably the busiest for the Fighting Irish – especially on television.
On Oct. 3, a new Strong of Heart feature debuted on NBC Sports Network. The episode included features on Notre Dame football historian Steve Boda and senior linebacker Manti Te’o.
However, that was just the beginning.
Notre Dame took to the Windy City for this year’s Shamrock Series game.
After the Irish defeated Miami at Soldier Field to improve to 5-0, ESPN announced College GameDay was returning to South Bend for the first time since 2005. Mike & Mike in the Morning also joined the fun, broadcasting from Library Quad on Friday.
During the week leading up to GameDay, Samantha Steele challenged Mike Golic Jr. to a Trick Shot Monday showdown.
On Saturday, an hour before kickoff against the Cardinal, the NFL Films special Onward Notre Dame: South Bend to Soldier Field aired on NBC.
And as you probably know, the Stanford game more than lived up to the hype.
The Cardinal took over, and senior back Stepfan Taylor powered the ball down to the three, setting up a 1st-and-goal for the Stanford offense.
And then the night turned magical. The stout Irish defense stopped four consecutive running plays. Students, fans, players crowded the field in jubilant celebration.
Victory. Or so it seemed.
The fourth down ruling on the field was under review – eerily similar to the end of that fateful October night in 2005, the last time GameDay had visited campus.
After a brief delay, the referee confirmed the call. Taylor had been stopped short of the goal line.
A scene unlike anything you can put into words.
Read the rest of the post here.
FIDM also accompanied the men’s and women’s basketball teams in New York for BIG EAST Media Day.
Irish United: The Story of Notre Dame Women’s Soccer debuted on NBCSN.
On the weekend of the BYU football game, the fencing team dedicated the new Castellan Family Fencing Center in the Joyce Center.
As the football team headed out to Norman, the NBA took over Purcell Pavilion. The Chicago Bulls met the Indiana Pacers in the teams’ final exhibition game before the season tipped off. It was a special homecoming for Ben Hansbrough, the former Irish guard now with the Pacers organization.
- Swimming & Diving. No. 14 Ranked Notre Dame Swimming & Diving In Atlanta for First ACC Meet to Face Georgia Tech
- Football. University of Notre Dame 2016 Shamrock Series
- W. Soccer. Double Overtime Not Enough To Break Scoreless Tie Between #14 Irish, #25 Hokies
- M. Tennis. Kempin Advances To Final Qualifying Round At ITA Regional
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces Partnership With Stayer Center
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Takes on Pitt and Virginia Tech in Upcoming Road Trip
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish At Duke Looking For ACC Rebound
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Virginia Tech
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: ITA Midwest Regional & IU Regional
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- With @NDXCTF 4x NCAA champ Molly Seidel has logged 14,000+ miles. Equivalent to running from ND ➡️Taj Mahal & back. https://t.co/gW23X2MBqW 4 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: 📆 THIS WEEKEND @NDHockey takes on Penn State at home in Compton Family Ice Arena. Fri. | 7:35pm Sat. | 7:05pm TIX:htt… 10 hours ago
- 🏀 Great Team With Great Leaders @ndwbb captain Lindsay Allen catches up with the @NDSportsBlogger at the start of… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 23 hours ago
- 📆 THIS WEEKEND @NDHockey takes on Penn State at home in Compton Family Ice Arena. Fri. | 7:35pm Sat. | 7:05pm TI… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- In 4 years at Notre Dame @NDXCTF's Molly Seidel won 4 @NCAA titles. She's not done. Hear Molly's story going into… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago