Dec 31, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
Of all the months, October was probably the busiest for the Fighting Irish – especially on television.
On Oct. 3, a new Strong of Heart feature debuted on NBC Sports Network. The episode included features on Notre Dame football historian Steve Boda and senior linebacker Manti Te’o.
However, that was just the beginning.
Notre Dame took to the Windy City for this year’s Shamrock Series game.
After the Irish defeated Miami at Soldier Field to improve to 5-0, ESPN announced College GameDay was returning to South Bend for the first time since 2005. Mike & Mike in the Morning also joined the fun, broadcasting from Library Quad on Friday.
During the week leading up to GameDay, Samantha Steele challenged Mike Golic Jr. to a Trick Shot Monday showdown.
On Saturday, an hour before kickoff against the Cardinal, the NFL Films special Onward Notre Dame: South Bend to Soldier Field aired on NBC.
And as you probably know, the Stanford game more than lived up to the hype.
The Cardinal took over, and senior back Stepfan Taylor powered the ball down to the three, setting up a 1st-and-goal for the Stanford offense.
And then the night turned magical. The stout Irish defense stopped four consecutive running plays. Students, fans, players crowded the field in jubilant celebration.
Victory. Or so it seemed.
The fourth down ruling on the field was under review – eerily similar to the end of that fateful October night in 2005, the last time GameDay had visited campus.
After a brief delay, the referee confirmed the call. Taylor had been stopped short of the goal line.
A scene unlike anything you can put into words.
Read the rest of the post here.
FIDM also accompanied the men’s and women’s basketball teams in New York for BIG EAST Media Day.
Irish United: The Story of Notre Dame Women’s Soccer debuted on NBCSN.
On the weekend of the BYU football game, the fencing team dedicated the new Castellan Family Fencing Center in the Joyce Center.
As the football team headed out to Norman, the NBA took over Purcell Pavilion. The Chicago Bulls met the Indiana Pacers in the teams’ final exhibition game before the season tipped off. It was a special homecoming for Ben Hansbrough, the former Irish guard now with the Pacers organization.
- Cross Country. Irish Claim Runner-Up Honors at the 2015 Crusader Open
- M. Soccer. #5 Irish Blank #24 USF In Berticelli Opener
- W. Volleyball. Pirates Sweep Irish 3-0 In Friday Volleyball Action
- W. Soccer. No. 6/4 Notre Dame Draws With Western Michigan, 2-2
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball On Road At Seton Hall
- Football. Pride and Resiliency Fueled 1970 Notre Dame Football Team
- Football. Jack Chevigny: Gridiron Star and Battlefield Hero
- Monogram Club. Catching Up With The Monogram Club
- Cross Country. Keys to the Race: Crusader Open
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin: New Irish Volleyball Boss Is All About the Numbers
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 What's that? We're 3/3 for SportsCenter on the Road's predictions for the game. #ItsTime ND vs UT 7:30 pm - NBC http://t.co/pjslrMhhXF 1 hour ago
- 💍RINGS FOR DAYS. #ACCchampions twitter.com/ndmbb/status/6… 3 hours ago
- Awesome ND Tradition #21 MIDNIGHT DRUMMER'S CIRCLE. ROCK OUT. http://t.co/NlDQSQxWI3 12 hours ago
- Soon... http://t.co/6tRl6PXVF1 14 hours ago
- ⚽️ @NDMenSoccer crushes USF 2-0. First goal of the night ripped by Jon Gallagher. http://t.co/xUUSKVx8kf 14 hours ago