Dec 31, 2012, 9:15 AM EDT
Notre Dame kicked off September on the Emerald Isle, an incredible weekend celebrating the university and its connection to Ireland. Oh yeah, there was a football game too.
The following week, there were a couple of party crashers at the football team’s home opener against Purdue. Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn (who made his film debut in Rudy) took in the game from the Irish sideline. At halftime, Vaughn (or should I say Jamie O’Hara?) sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media for a quick interview.
Speaking of FIDM, September was a milestone month for our team, as we moved into a new studio and facility in the Joyce Center near Gate 3, where the varsity shop used to be.
It didn’t take long before that studio was put to good use. On Sept. 12, Notre Dame announced plans to join the Atlantic Coast Conference in all sports except football and hockey. The terms of the move include a five-game scheduling agreement for football. After the announcement, FIDM brought the current Notre Dame coaches into the studio to discuss what the switch means for their team. University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick also talked about the move to the ACC.
As it turns out, there are already many ties between Notre Dame and its future conference home.
Leading up to the 125 celebration game, South Bend mayor Pete Buttigieg renamed a portion of Michigan Street – changing it, of course, to Fighting Irish Drive.
The Fighting Irish cross country teams closed out the month with strong finishes in the very competitive Notre Dame Invitational. The men’s team placed third, while the women finished second overall.
And last, but not least, Trick Shot Monday went viral when it was featured on Sportscenter’s Top 10 Plays.
- W. Tennis. Irish Keep Rolling At ITA, IU Regionals
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Wake Forest
- M. Ice Hockey. #3/4 Irish Fall in Overtime to Penn State
- M. Tennis. Irish Play Into Quarterfinal Rounds At ITA Regional
- Swimming & Diving. No.14 Fighting Irish Stay Undefeated in Season Beating No.22 Georgia Tech in First Dual ACC Meet
- W. Rowing. Club Four Claims Third At Head of the Charles
- M. Ice Hockey. Gross Leads #3/4 Irish To Comeback Tie
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for Fighting Irish in Day 1 of Dual Meet Against No. 22 Georgia Tech
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish End Road Trip With 2-1 Defeat In Double Overtime At Duke
- M. Tennis. Irish Impress In First Rounds Of ITA Regional Play
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ⚽️ FINAL #14 @NDSoccer 1 | Wake Forest 0 See JR @MeganMcCashland's goal that led ND to an ACC win over Wake Fores… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 2 hours ago
- ⚽️ @NDMenSoccer returns to defend home turf. Notre Dame vs. MSU ⏰ Tuesday | 7pm ☘️ Alumni Stadium TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 3 hours ago
- Want the OFFICIAL Game Coin from @NDFootball vs. Stanford? Bid in the Bank of America auction. #BofACoinToss BID… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 7 hours ago
- ON THIS DAY: 1977 #11 @NDFootball dominated #5 USC 49-19 in the famed "Green Jersey Game". ND would go on to win… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- ☘️ ACC SWEEP @NDVolleyball downs Pitt 3-0, led by sophomore Rebecca Nunge's team-high 10 kills on 25 attempts. ➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago