Dec 31, 2012, 9:15 AM EST
Notre Dame kicked off September on the Emerald Isle, an incredible weekend celebrating the university and its connection to Ireland. Oh yeah, there was a football game too.
The following week, there were a couple of party crashers at the football team’s home opener against Purdue. Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn (who made his film debut in Rudy) took in the game from the Irish sideline. At halftime, Vaughn (or should I say Jamie O’Hara?) sat down with Fighting Irish Digital Media for a quick interview.
Speaking of FIDM, September was a milestone month for our team, as we moved into a new studio and facility in the Joyce Center near Gate 3, where the varsity shop used to be.
It didn’t take long before that studio was put to good use. On Sept. 12, Notre Dame announced plans to join the Atlantic Coast Conference in all sports except football and hockey. The terms of the move include a five-game scheduling agreement for football. After the announcement, FIDM brought the current Notre Dame coaches into the studio to discuss what the switch means for their team. University Vice President/Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick also talked about the move to the ACC.
As it turns out, there are already many ties between Notre Dame and its future conference home.
Leading up to the 125 celebration game, South Bend mayor Pete Buttigieg renamed a portion of Michigan Street – changing it, of course, to Fighting Irish Drive.
The Fighting Irish cross country teams closed out the month with strong finishes in the very competitive Notre Dame Invitational. The men’s team placed third, while the women finished second overall.
And last, but not least, Trick Shot Monday went viral when it was featured on Sportscenter’s Top 10 Plays.
- W. Tennis. Irish Breeze To 7-0 Season-Opening Victory Over Broncos
- M. Tennis. Lebedev, Howells Sweep ACC Weekly Honors
- Swimming & Diving. Coumos Earns Second ACC Diving Citation Of Season
- Football. Jeff Quinn Named Notre Dame Offensive Line Coach
- Softball. #NDSB30 Top Five: 2000s
- W. Soccer. Romagnolo Announces Resignation as Irish Women’s Soccer Coach
- W. Basketball. Ogunbowale Named ACC Player of the Week
- M. Lacrosse. Men's Lacrosse Announces Two Preseason Exhibitions
- W. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Combine Veteran Experience With Young Talent
- Baseball. Irish Baseball & Softball Season Tickets On Sale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Get ready for @NDWomensTennis' 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣8️⃣ campaign by catching up on all you need to know before the Irish hit th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- Go behind-the-scenes with all things Fighting Irish Media and learn how the pros of @NDFIM tell the best stories of… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- After coaching 1️⃣2️⃣ @NFL linemen, Jeff Quinn has been named @NDFootball's Offensive Line coach. Congratulations,… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- Before @NDSoftball's 30th season kicks off on February 9, take a look 👀 back at the best Irish moments of the 2000s… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Who do you think is this week’s @tire_rack Student-Athlete of the Week? Vote now! #GoIrish 15 hours ago