Jan 24, 2013, 4:22 PM EST
It looks like we have some new social media stars on the rise.
@NDFabFive, a twitter account run by the five freshmen on the Notre Dame men’s tennis team, has been gaining fame over the last few weeks in the world of Notre Dame athletics both online and offline. The five members of the “Fab 5” are Quentin Monaghan, Nicolas Montoya, Eric Schnurrenberger, Kenneth Sabacinski, and Alex Lawson.
Lawson, a native of Tempe, Arizona, said the account, which was made in early January, originally started out as a joke.
“I think one of the upperclassmen said [“The Fab 5”] once and then we started the Twitter…We kept saying we wanted to surpass ND men’s tennis in followers, and we sort of changed the goal to just gain attention for men’s tennis and get people out to the matches, I guess.”
Scroll through the Fab 5’s tweets, and you’ll notice that nearly all of them are very funny, quirky, and amusing. Lawson said, “It’s always been a not-very-serious thing. Not to say that we’re not serious about our tennis, but I mean we just kind of look around and tweet stuff if something funny happens.”
Here’s an example:
So what’s to come for the Fab 5? Well, they’re back in season, so when they’re not in classes, practices, matches, or tournaments, you can expect more updates from their account. Lawson also said that perhaps some Fab 5 t-shirts are on the way.
Their Twitter bio says they’re “taking collegiate athletics by storm,” but it looks a lot like they’re taking Twitter by storm, too.
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
- W. Basketball. No. 6/5 Women's Hoops to Head West on Oregon Trail
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: Five Things to Watch
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ink Four
- M. Basketball. Irish Roll In 105-66 Blowout Victory Over Chicago State
- Softball. Irish Softball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- W. Basketball. The Muffet McGraw Radio Show, Presented by TireRack.com, Returns Nov. 20
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ @NDHockey’s Friday night checklist: ✅ Beat RPI, 4-1 ✅ Cheer on @NDSoccer as it makes the #Sweet16 in penalty ki… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 33 minutes ago
- No. 4️⃣ @NDHockey had goals from 4️⃣ different players in Friday's win vs. RPI! #GoIrish https://t.co/HILYUidL7C 1 hour ago
- Did you miss 👀 @NDFootball’s Rockne Heritage uniforms on @SportsCenter’s #GearUp segment? Learn about every stitch.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Ready to sail into Saturday's last home game at 3:30 p.m. on NBC. 🎥: @NDFootball #GoIrish https://t.co/eZYBx4fsyY 1 hour ago
- First light. Last home game. Ready for some 🏈. #GoIrish https://t.co/F3k3DOzroZ 2 hours ago