Jan 25, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Being a senior has changed my perspective on a lot of things at Notre Dame. One of which is my empathy during Senior Day at sporting events. Being a senior, I can sympathize with the senior athletes on a whole other level and this weekend is no exception. This is the last opportunity these senior swimmers and divers will have to represent their school at home as this event will culminate their racing/diving careers at the Rolfs Aquatic Center.
This weekend will conclude the home slate for both the men’s and women’s swimming seasons. Both campaigns have been highly productive for each squad. The men enter the meet undefeated and hope to preserve their chance at the first undefeated season in men’s program history. Meanwhile, the women have seen Emma Reaney break two of Olympian Rebecca Soni’s Rolf Aquatic Center records this season while also recording three NCAA A-cut times. The women’s 400 medley relay also registered an A-cut time meaning that at least four women will represent Notre Dame at the 2013 NCAA Championships, which is the break the Irish program has longed for over the past several years.
This edition of the Shamrock Invitational features a new look as the events are in a different order this year (click here for information on the order of the events). Additionally, the Irish welcome first-time visitor Towson University to the Rolfs Aquatic along with the men’s squad from Harvard University, who will be making its second appearance in South Bend. The Irish will have stiff competition in Towson and Harvard and the racing should be quick. It wouldn’t be a surprise if pool records fall this weekend as the Irish are priming for the championship portion of their schedule.
You can catch today’s portion of the meet starting at 5 p.m. on und.com as Rich Hidy, Jimmy Moley and myself will be on the call. For the Saturday portion of the meet, you can check out the live stats from the meet by clicking here.
- W. Soccer. Irish Set to Battle #4 Duke
- Football. Notre Dame-Michigan State Preview: Reminisce Then Rally
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Break Competitive Bowling Green Spirit In 2-1 Win
- W. Volleyball. Five Favorite Photos Of The Week
- M. Golf. NCAA Connection Takes Irish Golfer to Haiti
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans To Captain Irish In 2017-18
- Football. Megaphone On The Line For Irish & Spartans
- W. Soccer. Jacobs Nets ACC Player of the Week Honor
- M. Soccer. #2 Irish And #19 Bowling Green Meet Tuesday At Alumni Stadium
- W. Volleyball. Fry Named ACC Volleyball Player Of The Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NCAA: Connection made at college golf event leads Notre Dame junior Miguel Delgado to volunteer trip in Haiti: ntrda.me/2ydiHpi… 18 hours ago
- ☝️#1 @NDMenSoccer took on Bowling Green in a midweek tussle & stayed undefeated (6-0-0) with a 2-1 victory.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: Have 60 seconds? Then see the @NDSportsBlogger review the weekend in ND sports with highlights from @NDMenSoccer, @NDVo… 1 day ago
- LIGHT UP #1!!!! After a 5-0-0 start, @NDMenSoccer has ascended to #1 in the @UnitedCoaches Men's NCAA Soccer Poll!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago
- Go INSIDE the locker room as @NDfootball dominated BC, 49-20, racking up 600+ yards of offense in the process.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 day ago