Jan 25, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Being a senior has changed my perspective on a lot of things at Notre Dame. One of which is my empathy during Senior Day at sporting events. Being a senior, I can sympathize with the senior athletes on a whole other level and this weekend is no exception. This is the last opportunity these senior swimmers and divers will have to represent their school at home as this event will culminate their racing/diving careers at the Rolfs Aquatic Center.
This weekend will conclude the home slate for both the men’s and women’s swimming seasons. Both campaigns have been highly productive for each squad. The men enter the meet undefeated and hope to preserve their chance at the first undefeated season in men’s program history. Meanwhile, the women have seen Emma Reaney break two of Olympian Rebecca Soni’s Rolf Aquatic Center records this season while also recording three NCAA A-cut times. The women’s 400 medley relay also registered an A-cut time meaning that at least four women will represent Notre Dame at the 2013 NCAA Championships, which is the break the Irish program has longed for over the past several years.
This edition of the Shamrock Invitational features a new look as the events are in a different order this year (click here for information on the order of the events). Additionally, the Irish welcome first-time visitor Towson University to the Rolfs Aquatic along with the men’s squad from Harvard University, who will be making its second appearance in South Bend. The Irish will have stiff competition in Towson and Harvard and the racing should be quick. It wouldn’t be a surprise if pool records fall this weekend as the Irish are priming for the championship portion of their schedule.
You can catch today’s portion of the meet starting at 5 p.m. on und.com as Rich Hidy, Jimmy Moley and myself will be on the call. For the Saturday portion of the meet, you can check out the live stats from the meet by clicking here.
- Football. Notre Dame-Syracuse 2016: Yet Another Challenge for Irish Defense
- W. Volleyball. Senior Katie Higgins Reflects on Her Notre Dame Volleyball Career
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse Teams Up With Todd Rundgren for Dickinson Academy Special
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces Notice Of Annual Meeting
- Football. Brian Kelly Syracuse Preview Press Conference Transcript
- Football. Irish Meet Orange In Garden State
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey No. 9 In Preseason USCHO Poll
- M. Swimming. Men's Swimming and Diving 2016-17 Captains
- W. Swimming. Women's Swimming and Diving Announce Captains
- M. Soccer. Getting To Know Men's Soccer's Matt Habrowski
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- “There’s always a part of the game you can improve.” @NDFootball's Durham Smythe discusses working toward becoming… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 12 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: "Each era has added something a little bit more special." Head coach Bobby Clark reflects on the 40th Anniversary of @N… 16 hours ago
- ☘ 2016 @NDVolleyball Stats 🔹Won 7 of the past 8 games. 🔸8 of 11 wins have been sweeps. 🔹11-3 record is best start… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 19 hours ago
- We will continue to learn & fight. There's no quit in @NDFootball. https://t.co/XrQ6hdVklN 1 day ago
- 📚 A special 4th grade class from Cali made their 1st trip to Notre Dame. Hear their story on Inside @NDFootball.… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago