Jan 25, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Being a senior has changed my perspective on a lot of things at Notre Dame. One of which is my empathy during Senior Day at sporting events. Being a senior, I can sympathize with the senior athletes on a whole other level and this weekend is no exception. This is the last opportunity these senior swimmers and divers will have to represent their school at home as this event will culminate their racing/diving careers at the Rolfs Aquatic Center.
This weekend will conclude the home slate for both the men’s and women’s swimming seasons. Both campaigns have been highly productive for each squad. The men enter the meet undefeated and hope to preserve their chance at the first undefeated season in men’s program history. Meanwhile, the women have seen Emma Reaney break two of Olympian Rebecca Soni’s Rolf Aquatic Center records this season while also recording three NCAA A-cut times. The women’s 400 medley relay also registered an A-cut time meaning that at least four women will represent Notre Dame at the 2013 NCAA Championships, which is the break the Irish program has longed for over the past several years.
This edition of the Shamrock Invitational features a new look as the events are in a different order this year (click here for information on the order of the events). Additionally, the Irish welcome first-time visitor Towson University to the Rolfs Aquatic along with the men’s squad from Harvard University, who will be making its second appearance in South Bend. The Irish will have stiff competition in Towson and Harvard and the racing should be quick. It wouldn’t be a surprise if pool records fall this weekend as the Irish are priming for the championship portion of their schedule.
You can catch today’s portion of the meet starting at 5 p.m. on und.com as Rich Hidy, Jimmy Moley and myself will be on the call. For the Saturday portion of the meet, you can check out the live stats from the meet by clicking here.
- M. Basketball. Best Under Brey, Irish Defeat Mastodons to Move to 9-0
- W. Basketball. Top Two Teams to Tangle Wednesday
- Fencing. Kiefer Claims Grand Prix Gold Over Strong Weekend For Irish
- M. Basketball. Fort Wayne Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Basketball. Jackie Young Named ACC Rookie of the Week
- M. Basketball. Colson Named ACC Player Of The Week
- Softball. Irish Softball Expands Camp Opportunities By Popular Demand
- General News. Fighting Irish Media Adds To Emmy Collection
- M. Basketball. Irish Equal Best Start Under Brey with Victory Over Aggies
- W. Basketball. Irish Offense Explodes In 114-54 Victory Over Crusaders
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏀 Flashback to the 2012 Final Four @ndwbb downed UConn 83-75 in overtime to advance to @NCAA title game. 📽 See ND… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 6 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDWSwimdive Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏊♀️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/eMQ1HSoblL 7 hours ago
- 🏀 SEASON MILESTONES Both @ndwbb stars Lindsay Allen & Brianna Turner reached 1,000 career points in 2016. Who wil… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDWSwimdive Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏊♀️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/DjDxmClauX 12 hours ago
- ☘️ ND's Last Second Stunner! In 2013, Skylar Diggins led #2 @ndwbb to a win over UConn for the BIG EAST Championsh… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 15 hours ago