Jan 25, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Being a senior has changed my perspective on a lot of things at Notre Dame. One of which is my empathy during Senior Day at sporting events. Being a senior, I can sympathize with the senior athletes on a whole other level and this weekend is no exception. This is the last opportunity these senior swimmers and divers will have to represent their school at home as this event will culminate their racing/diving careers at the Rolfs Aquatic Center.
This weekend will conclude the home slate for both the men’s and women’s swimming seasons. Both campaigns have been highly productive for each squad. The men enter the meet undefeated and hope to preserve their chance at the first undefeated season in men’s program history. Meanwhile, the women have seen Emma Reaney break two of Olympian Rebecca Soni’s Rolf Aquatic Center records this season while also recording three NCAA A-cut times. The women’s 400 medley relay also registered an A-cut time meaning that at least four women will represent Notre Dame at the 2013 NCAA Championships, which is the break the Irish program has longed for over the past several years.
This edition of the Shamrock Invitational features a new look as the events are in a different order this year (click here for information on the order of the events). Additionally, the Irish welcome first-time visitor Towson University to the Rolfs Aquatic along with the men’s squad from Harvard University, who will be making its second appearance in South Bend. The Irish will have stiff competition in Towson and Harvard and the racing should be quick. It wouldn’t be a surprise if pool records fall this weekend as the Irish are priming for the championship portion of their schedule.
You can catch today’s portion of the meet starting at 5 p.m. on und.com as Rich Hidy, Jimmy Moley and myself will be on the call. For the Saturday portion of the meet, you can check out the live stats from the meet by clicking here.
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
- W. Basketball. No. 6/5 Women's Hoops to Head West on Oregon Trail
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: Five Things to Watch
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ink Four
- M. Basketball. Irish Roll In 105-66 Blowout Victory Over Chicago State
- Softball. Irish Softball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- W. Basketball. The Muffet McGraw Radio Show, Presented by TireRack.com, Returns Nov. 20
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ @NDHockey’s Friday night checklist: ✅ Beat RPI, 4-1 ✅ Cheer on @NDSoccer as it makes the #Sweet16 in penalty ki… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 39 minutes ago
- No. 4️⃣ @NDHockey had goals from 4️⃣ different players in Friday's win vs. RPI! #GoIrish https://t.co/HILYUidL7C 1 hour ago
- Did you miss 👀 @NDFootball’s Rockne Heritage uniforms on @SportsCenter’s #GearUp segment? Learn about every stitch.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Ready to sail into Saturday's last home game at 3:30 p.m. on NBC. 🎥: @NDFootball #GoIrish https://t.co/eZYBx4fsyY 1 hour ago
- First light. Last home game. Ready for some 🏈. #GoIrish https://t.co/F3k3DOzroZ 2 hours ago