Jan 29, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
Ryan Bull is a sophomore outfielder for the Irish from Eden Prairie, Minn. I sat down with the switch-hitting outfielder for a brief Q&A session in the first installment of our “Covering the Bases” series.
Q: Who was your favorite baseball player as a kid?
A: I’d probably have to say growing up I was a big fan of Mark McGwire. I just really liked the way he swung the bat.
Q: What player do you model your game after?
A: I really like the way Joe Mauer approaches the game, and the way he swings the bat. I always look at him as someone I can try to emulate and aspire to be like.
Q: Who is your favorite pro team?
A: I’d have to go with my hometown Minnesota Twins. I’ve just grown up around them and like watching them play.
Q: Describe your pre-game ritual.
A: I don’t really have anything that I necessarily do before a game as a ritual. I just like to get a dynamic warm-up in and get my arm warmed up.
Q: Do you have a batting box ritual?
A: Yeah, I step in from either the right or left side, and tap the bottom of the plate and both outside corners.
Q: What is your favorite pre-game meal?
A: The night before a game, I like to get pasta or something that will sustain me over the next day just to give me the energy to perform.
Q: What is your favorite moment of your baseball career so far?
A: Last year against Pittsburgh, when I hit my first home run. It was a walk-off, and it was just a really exciting experience.
Q: What is your major and a favorite class?
A: I’m a Finance major, and I would have to say the Finance class I am taking right now with Professor Ackerman is probably one of my favorite classes I’ve taken so far.
Q: Is it easier to hit a 90 mph fastball or a wiffleball curveball?
A: That’s a tough one. I don’t know. I probably have to say a straight fastball would probably be easier to hit than somebody who knows how to use that wiffleball.
Q: Do you have any hobbies off the field?
A: I actually really enjoy building model rockets. I got into that as a kid at a camp, and I just think it’s kind of a fun thing to do on the side.
Q: What is your favorite spot on campus?
A: The Grotto is a nice place to be by myself and pray, and it just serves as a sanctuary.
Q: What is the best nickname on the team and who has it?
A: Breck Ashdown goes by “Branch.” It’s pretty funny.
Q: What is your favorite phrase from one of the coaches?
A: Every single time we finish our in-and-out drill, Coach Woods always tells us to “Hustle and get after it,” and it just sparks us and gets us ready for the game.
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award
- Monogram Club. First Person: Danielle Green's ESPY Moment
- W. Basketball. First Person: Danielle Greenâ€™s ESPY Moment
- M. Soccer. Abundance Of Soccer On Air
- Baseball. Cavan Biggio Named A Cape Cod League All-Star
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Patberg Found Promise In USA Debut
- M. Soccer. Hodan Tabbed To U.S. U-23 MNT ID Camp Roster
- Fencing. Kiefer, Meinhardt Provide Summer Highlights
- Softball. Top Instruction At Softball Academies
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- "She Ran UP the Mountain!" Wonder what @NDSportsBlogger meant when she said that? FIND OUT: fightingirish.tumblr.com/post/125444543… http://t.co/6KYHwl5IYP 1 hour ago
- 🏈11th in the Country. 37 days until the @NDFootball Journey Begins. http://t.co/nEVur0ZaP7 4 hours ago
- 💯💯💯💯. @NotreDameRowing & @NotreDame should be so proud. twitter.com/ncaa/status/62… 5 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW: @NDFootball is one of just 3 schools to have NEVER played an FCS (formerly 1-AA) level school. 🏈🍀#FACT http://t.co/Ud3jII7xJ0 6 hours ago
- On the mound for the Houston @Astros ... LANCE MCCULLERS! Take a look at when @LMcCullers43 visited @NDFootball: twitter.com/lmccullers43/s… 19 hours ago