Jan 29, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
Ryan Bull is a sophomore outfielder for the Irish from Eden Prairie, Minn. I sat down with the switch-hitting outfielder for a brief Q&A session in the first installment of our “Covering the Bases” series.
Q: Who was your favorite baseball player as a kid?
A: I’d probably have to say growing up I was a big fan of Mark McGwire. I just really liked the way he swung the bat.
Q: What player do you model your game after?
A: I really like the way Joe Mauer approaches the game, and the way he swings the bat. I always look at him as someone I can try to emulate and aspire to be like.
Q: Who is your favorite pro team?
A: I’d have to go with my hometown Minnesota Twins. I’ve just grown up around them and like watching them play.
Q: Describe your pre-game ritual.
A: I don’t really have anything that I necessarily do before a game as a ritual. I just like to get a dynamic warm-up in and get my arm warmed up.
Q: Do you have a batting box ritual?
A: Yeah, I step in from either the right or left side, and tap the bottom of the plate and both outside corners.
Q: What is your favorite pre-game meal?
A: The night before a game, I like to get pasta or something that will sustain me over the next day just to give me the energy to perform.
Q: What is your favorite moment of your baseball career so far?
A: Last year against Pittsburgh, when I hit my first home run. It was a walk-off, and it was just a really exciting experience.
Q: What is your major and a favorite class?
A: I’m a Finance major, and I would have to say the Finance class I am taking right now with Professor Ackerman is probably one of my favorite classes I’ve taken so far.
Q: Is it easier to hit a 90 mph fastball or a wiffleball curveball?
A: That’s a tough one. I don’t know. I probably have to say a straight fastball would probably be easier to hit than somebody who knows how to use that wiffleball.
Q: Do you have any hobbies off the field?
A: I actually really enjoy building model rockets. I got into that as a kid at a camp, and I just think it’s kind of a fun thing to do on the side.
Q: What is your favorite spot on campus?
A: The Grotto is a nice place to be by myself and pray, and it just serves as a sanctuary.
Q: What is the best nickname on the team and who has it?
A: Breck Ashdown goes by “Branch.” It’s pretty funny.
Q: What is your favorite phrase from one of the coaches?
A: Every single time we finish our in-and-out drill, Coach Woods always tells us to “Hustle and get after it,” and it just sparks us and gets us ready for the game.
- M. Basketball. Men's Basketball Postgame Notes - Notre Dame vs. Kentucky
- M. Basketball. Irish in the 2015 NCAA Championships
- M. Basketball. Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes - Notre Dame vs. Kentucky
- M. Swimming. Breaststroker Stephens Closes Out Irish Career with Third Record of the Weekend at 2015 NCAA Championships Saturday
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Drops 68-66 Decision to Kentucky
- W. Basketball. Irish Extra: Irish Support Staff Earns Blue Ribbon
- W. Rowing. #14 Irish Win Six Races During Big Ten/ACC Double Dual Regatta
- Baseball. Irish Fall To No. 12 Virginia In Saturday Doubleheader
- Track. Barber Sets ND 100-Meter Hurdles Record At Texas Relays
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Rises To Fifth After Two Rounds At LSU Tiger Classic
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏀 The Irish have taken a six point lead in Oklahoma City. Under 10 to play for a spot in the Women's Final Four, live on ESPN. 16 minutes ago
- 🏀 Paced by Michaela Mabrey (14 pts), @ndwbb leads Baylor 39-37 at the half. Live coverage on ESPN, or follow @ndwbb for game updates. 56 minutes ago
- Less than an hour until WBB tips off against 2-seed Baylor. Retweet if you'll be watching! 8:30 Eastern, ESPN. http://t.co/JmXLbBLzWk 2 hours ago
- RT @laettnerbball: @NDMikeBrey @NDmbb unbelievable season coach brey and team! I love ur team and the way u played! #keepurheadsup #mycoach… 4 hours ago
- RT @Jill_CNN: Last night's Kentucky/Notre Dame game was the highest overnight rating for a college basketball game in cable television hist… 5 hours ago