Jan 29, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
Ryan Bull is a sophomore outfielder for the Irish from Eden Prairie, Minn. I sat down with the switch-hitting outfielder for a brief Q&A session in the first installment of our “Covering the Bases” series.
Q: Who was your favorite baseball player as a kid?
A: I’d probably have to say growing up I was a big fan of Mark McGwire. I just really liked the way he swung the bat.
Q: What player do you model your game after?
A: I really like the way Joe Mauer approaches the game, and the way he swings the bat. I always look at him as someone I can try to emulate and aspire to be like.
Q: Who is your favorite pro team?
A: I’d have to go with my hometown Minnesota Twins. I’ve just grown up around them and like watching them play.
Q: Describe your pre-game ritual.
A: I don’t really have anything that I necessarily do before a game as a ritual. I just like to get a dynamic warm-up in and get my arm warmed up.
Q: Do you have a batting box ritual?
A: Yeah, I step in from either the right or left side, and tap the bottom of the plate and both outside corners.
Q: What is your favorite pre-game meal?
A: The night before a game, I like to get pasta or something that will sustain me over the next day just to give me the energy to perform.
Q: What is your favorite moment of your baseball career so far?
A: Last year against Pittsburgh, when I hit my first home run. It was a walk-off, and it was just a really exciting experience.
Q: What is your major and a favorite class?
A: I’m a Finance major, and I would have to say the Finance class I am taking right now with Professor Ackerman is probably one of my favorite classes I’ve taken so far.
Q: Is it easier to hit a 90 mph fastball or a wiffleball curveball?
A: That’s a tough one. I don’t know. I probably have to say a straight fastball would probably be easier to hit than somebody who knows how to use that wiffleball.
Q: Do you have any hobbies off the field?
A: I actually really enjoy building model rockets. I got into that as a kid at a camp, and I just think it’s kind of a fun thing to do on the side.
Q: What is your favorite spot on campus?
A: The Grotto is a nice place to be by myself and pray, and it just serves as a sanctuary.
Q: What is the best nickname on the team and who has it?
A: Breck Ashdown goes by “Branch.” It’s pretty funny.
Q: What is your favorite phrase from one of the coaches?
A: Every single time we finish our in-and-out drill, Coach Woods always tells us to “Hustle and get after it,” and it just sparks us and gets us ready for the game.
- W. Lacrosse. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Show Their Grit Despite Loss Versus Northwestern
- Softball. Oh, What A Night!
- Track. Irish Turn In Day One At Georgia Tech, Virginia
- W. Golf. Irish In Sixth Place Midway Through ACC Women's Golf Championship
- Baseball. No. 25 Notre Dame Baseball Shuts Out NC State, 2-0, Friday Night
- W. Tennis. No. 33 Irish Fall To No. 21 Clemson, 5-0
- W. Swimming. Mike Litzinger Named Irish Women's Swimming and Diving Coach
- M. Tennis. No. 37 Irish Fall To No. 12 Wake Forest, 4-3
- Softball. #25 Irish Take On Syracuse In Fifth Annual Strikeout Cancer Series
- W. Basketball. Madison Cable Approved for Final Season of Eligibility with Notre Dame Women's Basketball Team in 2015-16
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- You know it's Senior Day when ... Men's 🎾 battling NCSU right now with 3 Billy Pecor's (@WCpecor3) in attendance. http://t.co/mElndbM8tq 1 hour ago
- It's #⃣1⃣ vs #⃣2⃣ ... Again ... @NDlacrosse welcomes UNC to Arlotta at 4pm in a match that determines @theACC Title🏆 http://t.co/xZf8cwYrj3 1 hour ago
- -@FRITZKUTZ90's play didn't work as planned in the Blue-Gold Game. Thanks to all who participated in #NDCallThePlay twitter.com/ndfootball/sta… 2 hours ago
- It's HALFTIME at @NDFootball's Blue-Gold Spring Game. 1st play of 2nd half will be a fan-submitted play. TEASE: http://t.co/00GSVetlOc 3 hours ago
- Want to watch today's @NDFootball Blue-Gold Spring Game? Ways to watch NOW: 📺NBCSN 💻📱 ndstream.nbcsports.com http://t.co/I1xNlAXg1R 4 hours ago