Jan 29, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
Ryan Bull is a sophomore outfielder for the Irish from Eden Prairie, Minn. I sat down with the switch-hitting outfielder for a brief Q&A session in the first installment of our “Covering the Bases” series.
Q: Who was your favorite baseball player as a kid?
A: I’d probably have to say growing up I was a big fan of Mark McGwire. I just really liked the way he swung the bat.
Q: What player do you model your game after?
A: I really like the way Joe Mauer approaches the game, and the way he swings the bat. I always look at him as someone I can try to emulate and aspire to be like.
Q: Who is your favorite pro team?
A: I’d have to go with my hometown Minnesota Twins. I’ve just grown up around them and like watching them play.
Q: Describe your pre-game ritual.
A: I don’t really have anything that I necessarily do before a game as a ritual. I just like to get a dynamic warm-up in and get my arm warmed up.
Q: Do you have a batting box ritual?
A: Yeah, I step in from either the right or left side, and tap the bottom of the plate and both outside corners.
Q: What is your favorite pre-game meal?
A: The night before a game, I like to get pasta or something that will sustain me over the next day just to give me the energy to perform.
Q: What is your favorite moment of your baseball career so far?
A: Last year against Pittsburgh, when I hit my first home run. It was a walk-off, and it was just a really exciting experience.
Q: What is your major and a favorite class?
A: I’m a Finance major, and I would have to say the Finance class I am taking right now with Professor Ackerman is probably one of my favorite classes I’ve taken so far.
Q: Is it easier to hit a 90 mph fastball or a wiffleball curveball?
A: That’s a tough one. I don’t know. I probably have to say a straight fastball would probably be easier to hit than somebody who knows how to use that wiffleball.
Q: Do you have any hobbies off the field?
A: I actually really enjoy building model rockets. I got into that as a kid at a camp, and I just think it’s kind of a fun thing to do on the side.
Q: What is your favorite spot on campus?
A: The Grotto is a nice place to be by myself and pray, and it just serves as a sanctuary.
Q: What is the best nickname on the team and who has it?
A: Breck Ashdown goes by “Branch.” It’s pretty funny.
Q: What is your favorite phrase from one of the coaches?
A: Every single time we finish our in-and-out drill, Coach Woods always tells us to “Hustle and get after it,” and it just sparks us and gets us ready for the game.
- Football. Day, Farley, Martin, Schmidt and Smith Selected As 2015 Football Captains
- Monogram Club. Mike Sprouse ('96, Tennis) Named ITA Chief Administrative And Marketing Officer
- M. Soccer. Irish Ready To Defend ACC Crown
- M. Tennis. Sprouse Name ITA Chief Administrative and Marketing Officer
- M. Tennis. Four Headed To Oracle/ITA Masters
- General News. Australia National Rugby Team to Train at Notre Dame
- M. Ice Hockey. Fogarty Named Hockey Team Captain For Second Consecutive Season
- Baseball. Baseball Welcomes Crop Of New Freshmen To Campus
- General News. Campus Crossroads Project Includes Stadium Enhancements
- M. Ice Hockey. 2015-16 Hockey Season Tickets Now On Sale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Show us your best touchdown dance for a chance to win ND football tix! thiscounts.org #NDTDDance #ThisCounts http://t.co/VMNGm1vjBz 9 hours ago
- 🏈 Questions about Campus Crossroads? Ask now! We're live at: ntrda.me/crossroads http://t.co/SrNxx67Lz2 12 hours ago
- Yes, that's @NDFootball alum Ian Williams (@IWilliams95) reacting to his @49ers returning a pick for a TD! 🏈#NDinNFL http://t.co/fb50wfZTZ3 1 day ago
- Video Board👍 Wider Seats👍 Better view of Library👍 All coming to ND Stadium in 2017. Oh yeah, 11 days until kickoff. http://t.co/Nu8tjek0JQ 2 days ago
- WHAT DOES HIGH SCORE MEAN?! Former ND stud A.J. Pollock is on 🔥🔥🔥 in August, hitting .420, tops in @MLB this month. http://t.co/BqUmJpVIpY 2 days ago