Jan 29, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
Ryan Bull is a sophomore outfielder for the Irish from Eden Prairie, Minn. I sat down with the switch-hitting outfielder for a brief Q&A session in the first installment of our “Covering the Bases” series.
Q: Who was your favorite baseball player as a kid?
A: I’d probably have to say growing up I was a big fan of Mark McGwire. I just really liked the way he swung the bat.
Q: What player do you model your game after?
A: I really like the way Joe Mauer approaches the game, and the way he swings the bat. I always look at him as someone I can try to emulate and aspire to be like.
Q: Who is your favorite pro team?
A: I’d have to go with my hometown Minnesota Twins. I’ve just grown up around them and like watching them play.
Q: Describe your pre-game ritual.
A: I don’t really have anything that I necessarily do before a game as a ritual. I just like to get a dynamic warm-up in and get my arm warmed up.
Q: Do you have a batting box ritual?
A: Yeah, I step in from either the right or left side, and tap the bottom of the plate and both outside corners.
Q: What is your favorite pre-game meal?
A: The night before a game, I like to get pasta or something that will sustain me over the next day just to give me the energy to perform.
Q: What is your favorite moment of your baseball career so far?
A: Last year against Pittsburgh, when I hit my first home run. It was a walk-off, and it was just a really exciting experience.
Q: What is your major and a favorite class?
A: I’m a Finance major, and I would have to say the Finance class I am taking right now with Professor Ackerman is probably one of my favorite classes I’ve taken so far.
Q: Is it easier to hit a 90 mph fastball or a wiffleball curveball?
A: That’s a tough one. I don’t know. I probably have to say a straight fastball would probably be easier to hit than somebody who knows how to use that wiffleball.
Q: Do you have any hobbies off the field?
A: I actually really enjoy building model rockets. I got into that as a kid at a camp, and I just think it’s kind of a fun thing to do on the side.
Q: What is your favorite spot on campus?
A: The Grotto is a nice place to be by myself and pray, and it just serves as a sanctuary.
Q: What is the best nickname on the team and who has it?
A: Breck Ashdown goes by “Branch.” It’s pretty funny.
Q: What is your favorite phrase from one of the coaches?
A: Every single time we finish our in-and-out drill, Coach Woods always tells us to “Hustle and get after it,” and it just sparks us and gets us ready for the game.
- M. Golf. Men's Golf in Eighth After Two Rounds at the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball Single Game Tickets On Sale Beginning Thursday Evening
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Media Day Quotes
- W. Basketball. Irish Hold Annual Women's Basketball Media Day
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Leadership Mantle Falls to Senior Quintet
- W. Soccer. Irish Women’s Soccer Finds Its Rhythm Again
- M. Basketball. Brey’s Crew Receives Rings, Prepares to Raise Banner—and Moves On
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Film Credits Roll On and On
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Skates To 2-2 Exhibition Tie Against the USNTDP U-18 Team
- W. Soccer. #16/11 Irish Go On Attack In 2-0 Win Over Boston College
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💥You want it, we've got it💥 Trick Shot Monday, SOUTHERN CAL week. LET'S. DO. THIS. @NDFootball #TrickShotMonday amp.twimg.com/v/1405ca11-f82… 13 hours ago
- 🏈41 points later & we're 5-1 Recap Saturday's win vs. Navy with Inside @NDFootball WATCH: UND.com/bktvshow amp.twimg.com/v/42fdd297-0b4… 15 hours ago
- 🎥 It's Media Day for @ndwbb 🏀 🏆 The National Championship grind begins... 🔥 We're ready. http://t.co/eHJi21x92D 19 hours ago
- 🏈Jack's Our Hero Make-A-Wish helps teen meet his favorite ND team (HT @SBTribune) READ: southbendtribune.com/news/local/mak… http://t.co/7ZJwUXDoLl 23 hours ago
- 🍀 Night Irish Fans, There's a candle here for you. 🌌 Dream on. http://t.co/nXF662NXey 1 day ago