Jan 29, 2013, 10:19 AM EST
Ryan Bull is a sophomore outfielder for the Irish from Eden Prairie, Minn. I sat down with the switch-hitting outfielder for a brief Q&A session in the first installment of our “Covering the Bases” series.
Q: Who was your favorite baseball player as a kid?
A: I’d probably have to say growing up I was a big fan of Mark McGwire. I just really liked the way he swung the bat.
Q: What player do you model your game after?
A: I really like the way Joe Mauer approaches the game, and the way he swings the bat. I always look at him as someone I can try to emulate and aspire to be like.
Q: Who is your favorite pro team?
A: I’d have to go with my hometown Minnesota Twins. I’ve just grown up around them and like watching them play.
Q: Describe your pre-game ritual.
A: I don’t really have anything that I necessarily do before a game as a ritual. I just like to get a dynamic warm-up in and get my arm warmed up.
Q: Do you have a batting box ritual?
A: Yeah, I step in from either the right or left side, and tap the bottom of the plate and both outside corners.
Q: What is your favorite pre-game meal?
A: The night before a game, I like to get pasta or something that will sustain me over the next day just to give me the energy to perform.
Q: What is your favorite moment of your baseball career so far?
A: Last year against Pittsburgh, when I hit my first home run. It was a walk-off, and it was just a really exciting experience.
Q: What is your major and a favorite class?
A: I’m a Finance major, and I would have to say the Finance class I am taking right now with Professor Ackerman is probably one of my favorite classes I’ve taken so far.
Q: Is it easier to hit a 90 mph fastball or a wiffleball curveball?
A: That’s a tough one. I don’t know. I probably have to say a straight fastball would probably be easier to hit than somebody who knows how to use that wiffleball.
Q: Do you have any hobbies off the field?
A: I actually really enjoy building model rockets. I got into that as a kid at a camp, and I just think it’s kind of a fun thing to do on the side.
Q: What is your favorite spot on campus?
A: The Grotto is a nice place to be by myself and pray, and it just serves as a sanctuary.
Q: What is the best nickname on the team and who has it?
A: Breck Ashdown goes by “Branch.” It’s pretty funny.
Q: What is your favorite phrase from one of the coaches?
A: Every single time we finish our in-and-out drill, Coach Woods always tells us to “Hustle and get after it,” and it just sparks us and gets us ready for the game.
- M. Basketball. Irish Return Home To Face #13 Cardinals
- General News. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women's Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Cross Country. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- W. Volleyball. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- W. Soccer. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- M. Soccer. Molly Seidel Tabbed ACC Women’s Cross Country Scholar-Athlete of the Year
- Monogram Club. Strong Of Heart Archives: Pat Garrity
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: Pittsburgh & Michigan
- M. Swimming. Irish To Compete at Michigan First Chance Meet
- W. Swimming. Irish To Compete at Michigan First Chance Meet
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- DID YOU KNOW? @NDFencing has... 8 NCAA Team Titles 31 Individual Gold Medals 292 All-America Honors #NDFacts https://t.co/QyDR33uQZN 7 hours ago
- 🏀 #1 UNC | 2016 🏀 #11 LOUISVILLE | 2013 🏀 #1 SYRACUSE | 2012 Take a look back at some of @NDmbb's biggest games. amp.twimg.com/v/c471fc66-c3c… 14 hours ago
- NEW TEAM NEW SEASON Meet @NDFootball's newest recruits from Signing Day 2016. amp.twimg.com/v/3e21a39d-754… 16 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW? Since the team's 1st season in 1997, @NDWomensLax has advanced to the NCAA tournament 10 times. https://t.co/bSh7S4YA6y 1 day ago
- ⏱ 60 Seconds 🏀17 Questions Get to know Zach Auguste on Inside @NDmbb. WATCH: UND.com/breytvshow amp.twimg.com/v/a83c489b-d16… 1 day ago