Jan 29, 2013, 10:01 AM EDT
You know you can hear him every morning on ESPN Radio, and you know you can see him with his family on Notre Dame’s campus every football weekend. You can now add Notre Dame Swimming & Diving meets to the list of places you can see (and now hear) Mike Golic.
Because his daughter Sydney is a freshman swimmer, he would have been at the meet regardless, but this weekend, Golic was a guest announcer at the Shamrock Invitational against Harvard and Towson Universities.
“When I had come to the first meet, and I had heard the announcers, I said to my wife, ‘This would be fun to do!’ because before my daughter came…at some of her [high school] championship meets, I did the announcing. And…I know [men’s associate head coach] Matt Tallman very well. I probably know him the best out of all the coaches here [from] over the years. We’ve known him for a long time. So he just asked me, and…said, ‘Hey, you guys are coming in for the weekend—you wanna do the announcing?’ and I’m like, ‘Sure. Absolutely! You know I’ll do it.’ I enjoy talking!”
This weekend was one of many weekends the Golics have spent away from their home in Connecticut.
“At one point, because both boys [Mike Jr. and Jake] were on the football team this year, and then Sydney was swimming, I think [Christine and I] traveled 17 straight weekends between football and swim meets that were going on during the football season as well, so it’s been pretty hectic.”
The swimming season, although finished at home, will last until March, which means the Golics still have plenty of traveling ahead.
“[Christine and I] are officially empty-nesters,” Golic explained, “but haven’t been in our nest all that much alone. We’ve still kind of been with the kids, so they’re probably saying, ‘Really, mom and dad? We’re gone. Why don’t you guys leave us alone for a while.’ But somehow, we keep showing back up on campus.”
Golic is well-known for playing and supporting Notre Dame football, but he says that as they’ve gotten to know athletes from other sports, he and his wife try to attend more of those events. He also expressed that “it’s really great to see the backing that the other sports get outside of football and basketball.”
While he is a fan of Notre Dame athletics, Golic is first and foremost a parent. Now that his children are all “Domers,” the school means even more to him.
“I’ve always been passionate about this school and the athletics, but there’s no doubt when one of your kids is involved, it just takes it to another level. Whether it’s watching Sydney swim or the boys play football, I get more nervous watching them than when I actually played because I’m sitting in the stands. I can’t control anything anymore. I’m just watching them. It was their dreams to play football and swim at Notre Dame, so my wife and I are very proud they were able to realize that dream and get there and do it. It certainly makes us more passionate when our kids are involved.”
The Shamrock Invitational may have been the first Notre Dame swim meet that he announced, but don’t be too surprised if it’s not the only one. The Golics are officially regulars at Rolfs Aquatic Center.
- W. Basketball. Irish Development Plan Leads To WNBA Success
- M. Soccer. Menâ€™s Soccer Establishes Itself With Exclamation
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Hockey Alums Host NHL Youth Clinic
- General News. CoachMePlus Announces Partnership with Notre Dame Athletics
- Football. Always 1 For The Gipper
- Cross Country. New Look Irish Ready for Run in 2015
- Football. Old Friends Reunite in Notre Dame Stadium: Notre Dame and Texas
- M. Soccer. Aubrey Honored Following Strong Opening Weekend
- M. Basketball. Irish Relish Opportunity in Year Three as ACC Member
- General News. A Dream Finally Realized For The Muchemis
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- #TBT to that time Lou Holtz had 3 future head coaches on his staff Charlie Strong returns to the Stadium leading UT http://t.co/UWIMbNbfqg 2 hours ago
- Need help finding a spot for dinner this weekend? McKenna Hall is the place to be LEARN MORE: MorrisInnEvents.com http://t.co/rLsRDD5wdc 4 hours ago
- ⚽ The 2013 NCAA Champions are back. Hear Coach Bobby Clark set the tone for the season. @NDMenSoccer http://t.co/IFI2AfLD2L 19 hours ago
- We found our VIP Leprechaun for an @NDFootball game this year. #MoneyInTheBank #RespectTheHawk twitter.com/wwesheamus/sta… 19 hours ago
- Show us your best touchdown dance for a chance to win ND football tix! thiscounts.org #NDTDDance #ThisCounts http://t.co/S4yk9qlHA2 1 day ago