Feb 1, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
It’s an exciting weekend for the Notre Dame Track and Field teams as they prepare to host the 26th annual Meyo Invitational. Taking place in our very own Loftus Sprots Center, the meet gives the Irish a chance to show their stuff while competing at home. The meet will begin with the field events Friday afternoon at 4:00 pm and continue on throughout Saturday.
As many as 50 teams are expected to attend this year, packing the track with some of the nation’s top elite athletes. Some of the teams in attendance will be traditional Notre Dame rivals like Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan State, making the meet all the more exciting.
In addition to the large size of the meet, the Meyo Invitational is known in the track world for its signiture Meyo Mile event. Beginning in 1988 under head coach Joe Piane, the Meyo Mile is traditionally one of the fastest mile competitions, with athletes regularly breaking the four-minute mark; including Notre Dame’s own Jeremy Rae both in 2011 and 2012. The Meyo Mile is set to begin at 3pm on Saturday.
In addition to the Meyo Mile, the meet also lays claim to the Ryan Shay men’s 3000 meter run, named after the late former Irish All-American and 5000m record holder.
The Irish, with six top-25 athletes and 12 BIG EAST leaders on the roster, are expected to fare extremely well in this meet. The team is coming off an amazing weekend at the Indiana Relays where they finished in the top 5 in 35 different events. In addition to this, Kelly Curran, Alexa Aragon, Sydni Meunier, and Rebecca Tracy of the Irish women’s team set a new meet record in the 4×800 meter run, breaking the previous record by nearly two seconds.
Hopefully the Irish will be able to carry this momentum into the weekend and hold their own against the tough competitors from all over the country.
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Play At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Allen Named to Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List
- W. Tennis. Robinson, Broda Advance To Doubles Final At ITA Regional
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Pairs Fall In ITA Midwest Regional Championship Semifinals
- W. Volleyball. Irish Push Win Streak to Three With Sweep of Hokies
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Head of the Charles
- W. Soccer. Late Goal Lifts #14 Irish To 1-0 Victory Over Wake Forest
- W. Tennis. Irish Keep Rolling At ITA, IU Regionals
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Wake Forest
- M. Ice Hockey. #3/4 Irish Fall in Overtime to Penn State
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 50 years ago Ara Parseghian led ND to a national title. Relive the '66 title run in Onward Notre Dame. FULL VIDEO… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 2 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: In 4 years at Notre Dame @NDXCTF's Molly Seidel won 4 @NCAA titles. She's not done. Hear Molly's story going into her… 6 hours ago
- ☘️ND Moves to 9-1 in ACC Play @NDVolleyball continues to improve its best ACC record w/ 3-0 win vs Virginia Tech.… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- ⚽️ FINAL #14 @NDSoccer 1 | Wake Forest 0 See JR @MeganMcCashland's goal that led ND to an ACC win over Wake Fores… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- ⚽️ @NDMenSoccer returns to defend home turf. Notre Dame vs. MSU ⏰ Tuesday | 7pm ☘️ Alumni Stadium TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago