Feb 1, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
It’s an exciting weekend for the Notre Dame Track and Field teams as they prepare to host the 26th annual Meyo Invitational. Taking place in our very own Loftus Sprots Center, the meet gives the Irish a chance to show their stuff while competing at home. The meet will begin with the field events Friday afternoon at 4:00 pm and continue on throughout Saturday.
As many as 50 teams are expected to attend this year, packing the track with some of the nation’s top elite athletes. Some of the teams in attendance will be traditional Notre Dame rivals like Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan State, making the meet all the more exciting.
In addition to the large size of the meet, the Meyo Invitational is known in the track world for its signiture Meyo Mile event. Beginning in 1988 under head coach Joe Piane, the Meyo Mile is traditionally one of the fastest mile competitions, with athletes regularly breaking the four-minute mark; including Notre Dame’s own Jeremy Rae both in 2011 and 2012. The Meyo Mile is set to begin at 3pm on Saturday.
In addition to the Meyo Mile, the meet also lays claim to the Ryan Shay men’s 3000 meter run, named after the late former Irish All-American and 5000m record holder.
The Irish, with six top-25 athletes and 12 BIG EAST leaders on the roster, are expected to fare extremely well in this meet. The team is coming off an amazing weekend at the Indiana Relays where they finished in the top 5 in 35 different events. In addition to this, Kelly Curran, Alexa Aragon, Sydni Meunier, and Rebecca Tracy of the Irish women’s team set a new meet record in the 4×800 meter run, breaking the previous record by nearly two seconds.
Hopefully the Irish will be able to carry this momentum into the weekend and hold their own against the tough competitors from all over the country.
- Football. Notre Dame-Syracuse 2016: Yet Another Challenge for Irish Defense
- W. Volleyball. Senior Katie Higgins Reflects on Her Notre Dame Volleyball Career
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse Teams Up With Todd Rundgren for Dickinson Academy Special
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces Notice Of Annual Meeting
- Football. Brian Kelly Syracuse Preview Press Conference Transcript
- Football. Irish Meet Orange In Garden State
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey No. 9 In Preseason USCHO Poll
- M. Swimming. Men's Swimming and Diving 2016-17 Captains
- W. Swimming. Women's Swimming and Diving Announce Captains
- M. Soccer. Getting To Know Men's Soccer's Matt Habrowski
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- “There’s always a part of the game you can improve.” @NDFootball's Durham Smythe discusses working toward becoming… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 14 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: "Each era has added something a little bit more special." Head coach Bobby Clark reflects on the 40th Anniversary of @N… 18 hours ago
- ☘ 2016 @NDVolleyball Stats 🔹Won 7 of the past 8 games. 🔸8 of 11 wins have been sweeps. 🔹11-3 record is best start… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 21 hours ago
- We will continue to learn & fight. There's no quit in @NDFootball. https://t.co/XrQ6hdVklN 1 day ago
- 📚 A special 4th grade class from Cali made their 1st trip to Notre Dame. Hear their story on Inside @NDFootball.… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago