Feb 1, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
It’s an exciting weekend for the Notre Dame Track and Field teams as they prepare to host the 26th annual Meyo Invitational. Taking place in our very own Loftus Sprots Center, the meet gives the Irish a chance to show their stuff while competing at home. The meet will begin with the field events Friday afternoon at 4:00 pm and continue on throughout Saturday.
As many as 50 teams are expected to attend this year, packing the track with some of the nation’s top elite athletes. Some of the teams in attendance will be traditional Notre Dame rivals like Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan State, making the meet all the more exciting.
In addition to the large size of the meet, the Meyo Invitational is known in the track world for its signiture Meyo Mile event. Beginning in 1988 under head coach Joe Piane, the Meyo Mile is traditionally one of the fastest mile competitions, with athletes regularly breaking the four-minute mark; including Notre Dame’s own Jeremy Rae both in 2011 and 2012. The Meyo Mile is set to begin at 3pm on Saturday.
In addition to the Meyo Mile, the meet also lays claim to the Ryan Shay men’s 3000 meter run, named after the late former Irish All-American and 5000m record holder.
The Irish, with six top-25 athletes and 12 BIG EAST leaders on the roster, are expected to fare extremely well in this meet. The team is coming off an amazing weekend at the Indiana Relays where they finished in the top 5 in 35 different events. In addition to this, Kelly Curran, Alexa Aragon, Sydni Meunier, and Rebecca Tracy of the Irish women’s team set a new meet record in the 4×800 meter run, breaking the previous record by nearly two seconds.
Hopefully the Irish will be able to carry this momentum into the weekend and hold their own against the tough competitors from all over the country.
- Baseball. Around The Bases: Counsell, Lidge & More
- Track. Jade Barber Is All In
- W. Golf. Talia Campbell Earns All-ACC Women's Golf Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Gilbert and Jenkins Added to Signing Class
- General News. Notre Dame Joins Elite List in Producing #1 Pro Draft Picks
- Football. Notre Dame Joins Elite List in Producing #1 Pro Draft Picks
- Softball. #21 Irish Seeded Third For Second ACC Championship Appearance
- Fencing. Lee Kiefer: Student, Athlete, World Traveler and Still So Much More
- W. Lacrosse. Barbara Sullivan Named ACC Defensive Player of the Year
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Irish Baseball Program Underscores Fight Against ALS
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.