Feb 1, 2013, 8:59 AM EDT
It’s an exciting weekend for the Notre Dame Track and Field teams as they prepare to host the 26th annual Meyo Invitational. Taking place in our very own Loftus Sprots Center, the meet gives the Irish a chance to show their stuff while competing at home. The meet will begin with the field events Friday afternoon at 4:00 pm and continue on throughout Saturday.
As many as 50 teams are expected to attend this year, packing the track with some of the nation’s top elite athletes. Some of the teams in attendance will be traditional Notre Dame rivals like Purdue, Michigan, and Michigan State, making the meet all the more exciting.
In addition to the large size of the meet, the Meyo Invitational is known in the track world for its signiture Meyo Mile event. Beginning in 1988 under head coach Joe Piane, the Meyo Mile is traditionally one of the fastest mile competitions, with athletes regularly breaking the four-minute mark; including Notre Dame’s own Jeremy Rae both in 2011 and 2012. The Meyo Mile is set to begin at 3pm on Saturday.
In addition to the Meyo Mile, the meet also lays claim to the Ryan Shay men’s 3000 meter run, named after the late former Irish All-American and 5000m record holder.
The Irish, with six top-25 athletes and 12 BIG EAST leaders on the roster, are expected to fare extremely well in this meet. The team is coming off an amazing weekend at the Indiana Relays where they finished in the top 5 in 35 different events. In addition to this, Kelly Curran, Alexa Aragon, Sydni Meunier, and Rebecca Tracy of the Irish women’s team set a new meet record in the 4×800 meter run, breaking the previous record by nearly two seconds.
Hopefully the Irish will be able to carry this momentum into the weekend and hold their own against the tough competitors from all over the country.
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Set To Tee Off In LSU Tiger Classic
- W. Basketball. Loyd Selected As Finalist For 2015 Wade Trophy
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Sweet 16 Media Day
- M. Basketball. Sweet 16 Preview:  Notre Dame vs.  Wichita State
- M. Basketball. Sweet 61: Carr's Tourney Scoring Record Stands Test of Time
- M. Basketball. Pat Connaughton's Ambition Powers Notre Dame to Sweet 16
- Softball. Register Now For Notre Dame Softball Summer Camp Offerings
- M. Basketball. Brey Never Considered Missing Game After Mother's Death
- M. Soccer. Michael Casper Joins Fighting Irish Men's Soccer Staff
- M. Tennis. No. 37 Irish Head South For Matches With Miami, Florida State
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDmbb: ONE of EIGHT. #NotDoneYet http://t.co/71oL6XSpGp 10 minutes ago
- The first ever ND Men's Hoops Elite 8 t-shirt design ever sold on the internet. Buy here: shop.und.com/Notre_Dame_Fig… http://t.co/cpXDLtE7Xp 25 minutes ago
- RT @CBSSports: If you have Notre Dame in the Elite 8... http://t.co/XnCECfr88h 30 minutes ago
- How 'bout them Irish? 36 minutes ago
- Focused. Prepared. Motivated. 7:15 p.m. CBS. instagram.com/p/0tSXroSKpZ/ 3 hours ago