Feb 3, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
At first glance, Loftus Sports Center resembles something of a circus during the annual Meyo Invitational track meet. Continuous jumping events including pole vault, triple jump, and high jump all compete for a spectator’s attention with the sporadic running events. The whole scene gives the impression that a single event could not dominate the attention of the whole crowd. However, the moment the announcer mentioned the “Men’s Meyo Mile” it became evident that the previous impression was incorrect.
Collegiate track fans seem few and far between. If someone who claimed they were not a track fan showed up to the hair-raising atmosphere provided by the men’s and women’s Meyo Mile, they would be likely to experience a change of heart.
For roughly four minutes, Loftus was an equal to Notre Dame Stadium on a fall Sunday. Courtesy of the Leprechaun Legion, boom stick collisions reverberated off of the field house’s walls. Shouts of approval or agony blared from the mouths of loyal fans. Every one in the arena shuffled to get a better look at the finish line. There is only one word that can adequately describe the experience of watching a collegiate mile race: electric.
Notre Dame failed to enter a male contestant in the mile, however the Irish heavy crowd still roared for the whole race. Wisconsin sophomore Austin Mudd out finished Illinois’ Graham Morris to claim the Meyo Mile title. He finished with a time of 3:59.33.
Notre Dame’s Rebecca Tracy gained the lead with about 400 meters remaining in the women’s race. She held off the field for the last quarter-mile to claim a victory for the host team. Tracy finished with a time of 4:39.52. Kelly Curran, the other Irish contestant, finished in eighth place with a time of 4:53.51.
Full Meyo Mile results are available on UND.com, and you can watch each race below in the video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
The Irish compete in the Grand Valley Big Meet Invitational in Allendale, Michigan on Feb. 8th and 9th.
- Baseball. Irish Fall In 11 Innings At Wake Forest Sunday Afternoon
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Demon Deacons, 4-2, In Saturday Matchup
- Track. Irish Wrap Weekend In Iowa, Michigan
- M. Golf. Irish In 11th After 36 At The ACC Championship
- W. Rowing. #RV Irish Finish Third At Dale England Cup
- Softball. Saturday Notre Dame Softball Games Canceled
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse: Chasing a Second Straight ACC Crown in Philly
- Track. Irish Solid At Drake, GINA Relays
- Baseball. Youngdahl's Big Night Leads Baseball To 9-5 Win Over Wake Forest
- M. Soccer. Notre Dame Tops Mexico U17s, 2-1, On Aubrey Penalty Kick
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- BEHOLD THE SHIRT. GET IT NOW: shop.und.com/Notre_Dame_Fig… http://t.co/BK0wDqbLHH 7 hours ago
- Reading about #NDDay? WHAT IS IT 🍀Donate $10 🍀Get 5 Votes 🍀Vote for your favorite teams INFO: NotreDameDay.ND.edu/mbb http://t.co/1hcuCJlxkd 9 hours ago
- FINISHING STRONG @NDXCTF Alum Patrick Feeney ran 🏆-winning anchor leg for🇺🇸in 4x400 of the prestigious Penn Relays. http://t.co/Lj273zWtvx 17 hours ago
- There's Fast, Then There's @NDXCTF Fast. The 4x200 relay team took home the famed @DrakeRelays title on Friday. 🏆🍀🏆 http://t.co/S7D3vnHgrD 1 day ago
- WAKE Up The Echoes. ⚾️@NDBaseball takes down Wake Forest in series opener, 9-5. RF Robert Youngdahl goes 4-5 w/3 RBI http://t.co/HqAajlhQCS 2 days ago