Feb 3, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
At first glance, Loftus Sports Center resembles something of a circus during the annual Meyo Invitational track meet. Continuous jumping events including pole vault, triple jump, and high jump all compete for a spectator’s attention with the sporadic running events. The whole scene gives the impression that a single event could not dominate the attention of the whole crowd. However, the moment the announcer mentioned the “Men’s Meyo Mile” it became evident that the previous impression was incorrect.
Collegiate track fans seem few and far between. If someone who claimed they were not a track fan showed up to the hair-raising atmosphere provided by the men’s and women’s Meyo Mile, they would be likely to experience a change of heart.
For roughly four minutes, Loftus was an equal to Notre Dame Stadium on a fall Sunday. Courtesy of the Leprechaun Legion, boom stick collisions reverberated off of the field house’s walls. Shouts of approval or agony blared from the mouths of loyal fans. Every one in the arena shuffled to get a better look at the finish line. There is only one word that can adequately describe the experience of watching a collegiate mile race: electric.
Notre Dame failed to enter a male contestant in the mile, however the Irish heavy crowd still roared for the whole race. Wisconsin sophomore Austin Mudd out finished Illinois’ Graham Morris to claim the Meyo Mile title. He finished with a time of 3:59.33.
Notre Dame’s Rebecca Tracy gained the lead with about 400 meters remaining in the women’s race. She held off the field for the last quarter-mile to claim a victory for the host team. Tracy finished with a time of 4:39.52. Kelly Curran, the other Irish contestant, finished in eighth place with a time of 4:53.51.
Full Meyo Mile results are available on UND.com, and you can watch each race below in the video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
The Irish compete in the Grand Valley Big Meet Invitational in Allendale, Michigan on Feb. 8th and 9th.
- Fencing. Irish All-Around Victorious On Day One At ACC Championships
- W. Basketball. ACC Championship at Stake on Sunday on ESPN2
- Softball. Irish Fight To 5-4 Victory Over NCAA Champ #4 OU
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey East Championship At Stake
- Baseball. Big Inning Dooms Irish At San Diego
- Track. Conference Championship is 'Icing on the Cake'
- Softball. Irish Use Explosive Sixth To Stop #11/12 Georgia, 10-7
- M. Ice Hockey. #13 Irish Bounce #5 Boston University 3-1
- M. Tennis. Hagar Clinches Upset of Northwestern at Top Spot
- W. Golf. Opportunity Awaits Women's Golf Team At Westbrook Spring Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ 2017 ACC CHAMPIONS! The men's @NDFencing team wins its 3rd straight ACC title with a 14-13 victory over Duke.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 minutes ago
- Won Meyo Invitational✔️ Set @NDXCTF Record✔️ Nate Richartz pole vaults @ACCTrackField Championships. Sat | Noon 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 8 hours ago
- 🏒 Top-15 Win #13 @NDHockey downs #5 Boston University 3-1. ND plays Boston University Saturday for the regular-se… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- ☘@NDXCTF Sprinter 🏈@NDFootball CB Troy Pride Jr. races at ACC Track & Field Championships! Fri | 4:45pm & 6:05pm… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ 5th Straight Victory! #9 @NDWomensLax ends Elon's 4-game unbeaten streak with 16-7 win. und.com/sports/w-lacro… 1 day ago