Feb 3, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
At first glance, Loftus Sports Center resembles something of a circus during the annual Meyo Invitational track meet. Continuous jumping events including pole vault, triple jump, and high jump all compete for a spectator’s attention with the sporadic running events. The whole scene gives the impression that a single event could not dominate the attention of the whole crowd. However, the moment the announcer mentioned the “Men’s Meyo Mile” it became evident that the previous impression was incorrect.
Collegiate track fans seem few and far between. If someone who claimed they were not a track fan showed up to the hair-raising atmosphere provided by the men’s and women’s Meyo Mile, they would be likely to experience a change of heart.
For roughly four minutes, Loftus was an equal to Notre Dame Stadium on a fall Sunday. Courtesy of the Leprechaun Legion, boom stick collisions reverberated off of the field house’s walls. Shouts of approval or agony blared from the mouths of loyal fans. Every one in the arena shuffled to get a better look at the finish line. There is only one word that can adequately describe the experience of watching a collegiate mile race: electric.
Notre Dame failed to enter a male contestant in the mile, however the Irish heavy crowd still roared for the whole race. Wisconsin sophomore Austin Mudd out finished Illinois’ Graham Morris to claim the Meyo Mile title. He finished with a time of 3:59.33.
Notre Dame’s Rebecca Tracy gained the lead with about 400 meters remaining in the women’s race. She held off the field for the last quarter-mile to claim a victory for the host team. Tracy finished with a time of 4:39.52. Kelly Curran, the other Irish contestant, finished in eighth place with a time of 4:53.51.
Full Meyo Mile results are available on UND.com, and you can watch each race below in the video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
The Irish compete in the Grand Valley Big Meet Invitational in Allendale, Michigan on Feb. 8th and 9th.
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes - Notre Dame vs. Stanford
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish On To Elite Eight, Beat #14/17 Stanford, 81-60
- M. Swimming. Irish Break Another School Record on Day Two of NCAA Championships
- Track. Two Relays Through To Finals After Day 3 At Texas Relays
- W. Rowing. #14 Irish In Columbus For First Big Ten/ACC Double Dual
- W. Golf. Irish Sit In Seventh At Loaded LSU Tiger Golf Classic After Day One
- W. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Upend Wolfpack 6-1
- W. Basketball. Sweet 16 Preview: (1) Notre Dame vs. (4) Stanford
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame's Turner is Exceeding Expectations Offensively
- M. Basketball. Berth In Final Four For Irish Against Top-Ranked Kentucky
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Jack Near with the double overtime game winner! Soon to be top ranked @NDlacrosse defeat number one Syracuse 13-12. 13 minutes ago
- SCORE UPDATE: @NDlacrosse leads no. 1 Syracuse 5-3 at halftime. Live coverage now on ESPN U. http://t.co/qRqRy2kKwq 1 hour ago
- Baseball (16-7, 3-6) vs. UVA (15-8, 3-6) starts at 1:05. 💻📱 @WatchND WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/games/18951… http://t.co/Acm2mHZYxw 1 hour ago
- It's time, LAX fans. ESPNU http://t.co/cFyhOLYQEt 2 hours ago
- Highlights of @ndwbb's convincing 81-60 win over Stanford are available on WatchND. @LA_Cruisen with a career night. watchnd.tv/#!/videos/dueG… 4 hours ago