Feb 3, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
At first glance, Loftus Sports Center resembles something of a circus during the annual Meyo Invitational track meet. Continuous jumping events including pole vault, triple jump, and high jump all compete for a spectator’s attention with the sporadic running events. The whole scene gives the impression that a single event could not dominate the attention of the whole crowd. However, the moment the announcer mentioned the “Men’s Meyo Mile” it became evident that the previous impression was incorrect.
Collegiate track fans seem few and far between. If someone who claimed they were not a track fan showed up to the hair-raising atmosphere provided by the men’s and women’s Meyo Mile, they would be likely to experience a change of heart.
For roughly four minutes, Loftus was an equal to Notre Dame Stadium on a fall Sunday. Courtesy of the Leprechaun Legion, boom stick collisions reverberated off of the field house’s walls. Shouts of approval or agony blared from the mouths of loyal fans. Every one in the arena shuffled to get a better look at the finish line. There is only one word that can adequately describe the experience of watching a collegiate mile race: electric.
Notre Dame failed to enter a male contestant in the mile, however the Irish heavy crowd still roared for the whole race. Wisconsin sophomore Austin Mudd out finished Illinois’ Graham Morris to claim the Meyo Mile title. He finished with a time of 3:59.33.
Notre Dame’s Rebecca Tracy gained the lead with about 400 meters remaining in the women’s race. She held off the field for the last quarter-mile to claim a victory for the host team. Tracy finished with a time of 4:39.52. Kelly Curran, the other Irish contestant, finished in eighth place with a time of 4:53.51.
Full Meyo Mile results are available on UND.com, and you can watch each race below in the video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
The Irish compete in the Grand Valley Big Meet Invitational in Allendale, Michigan on Feb. 8th and 9th.
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Swimming and Diving Ranked Top 15 in National Rankings
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish Meet #20 MSU In Final ’16 Nonconference Match
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Play At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Allen Named to Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List
- W. Tennis. Robinson, Broda Advance To Doubles Final At ITA Regional
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Pairs Fall In ITA Midwest Regional Championship Semifinals
- W. Volleyball. Irish Push Win Streak to Three With Sweep of Hokies
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Head of the Charles
- W. Soccer. Late Goal Lifts #14 Irish To 1-0 Victory Over Wake Forest
- W. Tennis. Irish Keep Rolling At ITA, IU Regionals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 50 years ago Ara Parseghian led ND to a national title. Relive the '66 title run in Onward Notre Dame. FULL VIDEO… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 11 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: In 4 years at Notre Dame @NDXCTF's Molly Seidel won 4 @NCAA titles. She's not done. Hear Molly's story going into her… 15 hours ago
- ☘️ND Moves to 9-1 in ACC Play @NDVolleyball continues to improve its best ACC record w/ 3-0 win vs Virginia Tech.… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- ⚽️ FINAL #14 @NDSoccer 1 | Wake Forest 0 See JR @MeganMcCashland's goal that led ND to an ACC win over Wake Fores… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- ⚽️ @NDMenSoccer returns to defend home turf. Notre Dame vs. MSU ⏰ Tuesday | 7pm ☘️ Alumni Stadium TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago