Feb 3, 2013, 3:37 PM EST
At first glance, Loftus Sports Center resembles something of a circus during the annual Meyo Invitational track meet. Continuous jumping events including pole vault, triple jump, and high jump all compete for a spectator’s attention with the sporadic running events. The whole scene gives the impression that a single event could not dominate the attention of the whole crowd. However, the moment the announcer mentioned the “Men’s Meyo Mile” it became evident that the previous impression was incorrect.
Collegiate track fans seem few and far between. If someone who claimed they were not a track fan showed up to the hair-raising atmosphere provided by the men’s and women’s Meyo Mile, they would be likely to experience a change of heart.
For roughly four minutes, Loftus was an equal to Notre Dame Stadium on a fall Sunday. Courtesy of the Leprechaun Legion, boom stick collisions reverberated off of the field house’s walls. Shouts of approval or agony blared from the mouths of loyal fans. Every one in the arena shuffled to get a better look at the finish line. There is only one word that can adequately describe the experience of watching a collegiate mile race: electric.
Notre Dame failed to enter a male contestant in the mile, however the Irish heavy crowd still roared for the whole race. Wisconsin sophomore Austin Mudd out finished Illinois’ Graham Morris to claim the Meyo Mile title. He finished with a time of 3:59.33.
Notre Dame’s Rebecca Tracy gained the lead with about 400 meters remaining in the women’s race. She held off the field for the last quarter-mile to claim a victory for the host team. Tracy finished with a time of 4:39.52. Kelly Curran, the other Irish contestant, finished in eighth place with a time of 4:53.51.
Full Meyo Mile results are available on UND.com, and you can watch each race below in the video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
The Irish compete in the Grand Valley Big Meet Invitational in Allendale, Michigan on Feb. 8th and 9th.
- M. Tennis. No. 23 Irish Upset At No. 44 Virginia Tech, 4-3, In ACC Opener
- M. Lacrosse. Koshansky Enjoys International Experience
- Fencing. Notre Dame Fencing Heads to Northwestern for NCAA Midwest Regional
- M. Lacrosse. #3 Fighting Irish Visit #4 Denver On Saturday
- W. Basketball. No. 2 Notre Dame women top Miami 77-61 in ACC quarters
- M. Basketball. #12/11 Irish To Clash With Clemson On Senior Day
- Softball. The Glue Gal
- Softball. #22/23 Irish Make First ACC Stop At North Carolina State
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Welcome UMass For Hockey East First Round
- Baseball. Streaking Irish Open ACC Play At Georgia Tech
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Time for @NDHockey vs UMass in the @Hockey_East Tournament! #GoIrish #BeatHockeyEast http://t.co/ZjW4cfrlMr 3 hours ago
- .@NDHockey plays UMass in the @Hockey_East Tourney at 7:35 pm ET. Can't make it? The game will be streamed- HockeyEastOnline.TV 4 hours ago
- One hour until @NDHockey gets started started in the @Hockey_East Tournament! Read all about it- ntrda.me/1zVcHuw #GoIrish 5 hours ago
- RT @NDmbb: JG scores JG passes JG defends Jerian could win NATIONAL & ACC AWARDS. LEARN WHY HE SHOULD: UND.com/JerianGrant http://t.co/… 6 hours ago
- .@ND_Performance is hosting Championship Strategies for Developing the Teenage Athlete on March 27th. Learn more- und.com/performance-cl… 6 hours ago