Feb 5, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
Although experiencing some speed bumps, the Fighting Irish were able to salvage a win this weekend in Columbus, Ohio against the Ohio StateBuckeyes. After dropping their Friday night matchup, 6-3, it did not seem like things were going to bode well for the Irish the following night. Changing things up a bit, Coach Jeff Jackson threw senior goaltender Mike Johnson between the pipes for the Saturday night game, and, lo and behold, the Irish came out with a victory (albeit it was in a shootout). Although the Irish split the series, they gave up a pristine opportunity to come away with two huge wins; some reflections on the weekend:
- Special teams killed the Irish this weekend. In the Friday night game, Notre Dame gave up four power-play goals to the Ohio State Buckeyes. Three of those goals came on the same penalty (a five-minute major for Mike Voran’s hit from behind). Three power-play goals in one game is by no means a good statistic, but all within a span of five minutes? Not a great showing by the Notre Dame penalty killers to say the least. Each of the goals was scored on a rebound, which means OSU players did not do anything spectacular; the Irish penalty killers just did not bear down enough in their own zone. Coach Jackson will definitely have to either change up his tactics or his personnel to avoid situations like this in the future.
- Maybe it’s time to give Mike Johnson a look. Mike Johnson’s performance this weekend was quite impressive. In approximately four periods of play, Johnson stopped 27 of 29 shots as well as all four shots he faced in the shootout. Now, not to say that Steven Summerhays isn’t holding his own in net, but the Irish have not been able to rally around him these past few games. Johnson in net might be the catalyst the Irish need to get back on track.
The Irish welcome the Michigan Wolverines to the Compton Family Ice Arena this coming weekend. In their last meeting, the Fighting Irish swept Michigan at the historic Yost Ice Arena. Hopefully the Irish can build off their Saturday night victory and play with the same intensity that they did up in Ann Arbor. One thing will definitely be true this weekend: better special teams will equate to better outcomes.
- M. Basketball. Villanova Preview - 10 Things To Know
- M. Soccer. From Ireland To All-ACC
- W. Soccer. Bocanegra Named Head Coach At University of Houston
- W. Basketball. Irish Fall 72-61 In Battle Of Top Teams
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Swimmer Justin Plaschka Breaks Jamaican 100 Butterfly Record
- W. Basketball. Muffet McGraw Show Presented by TireRack.com to Debut
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish And Eagles To Renew Rivalry Saturday Night
- Cross Country. Rohrer Garners ACC Performer Of The Year Honors
- M. Lacrosse. Irish to Face Former Standout Matt Kavanagh in Team USA Exhibition
- M. Basketball. Best Under Brey, Irish Defeat Mastodons to Move to 9-0
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/90f0wOiBut 3 hours ago
- 🏆 ACC TOP HONORS After winning @theACC Championship 6K, @NDXCTF's Anna Rohrer is named ACC Performer of the Year! und.com/sports/c-xc/sp… 3 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: Women's Track & Field Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏃♀️ UA @NDXCTF Shirt https://t.co/1T8A54hdF9 10 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @ndwbb Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN 🏀 @UnderArmour Hat https://t.co/ADKXKXDAal 1 day ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: ☘️WELCOME HOME! 🏀Look who came back to watch @ndwbb take on UConn! 👀@SkyDigg4 @mmabrey23 @MsPeters14 @MelissaLech @B… 1 day ago