Feb 7, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
Phil Mosey is an infielder and catcher for the Irish baseball team. I spoke with the Fishers, Ind. native about his interests both on and off the diamond.
Q: Who was your favorite baseball player as a kid?
A: Derek Jeter, for sure.
Q: What player do you model your game after?
A: I’m a pretty big Chipper Jones fan. I try to model his old-school style of play.
Q: Who is your favorite pro team?
A: The [New York] Yankees.
Q: Do you have a pregame ritual?
A: Yeah. I just eat as many egg sandwiches and PB&J’s that I can. I try to carbo-load.
Q: Do you have a batting box ritual?
A: Yeah, I basically get in and out of the box pretty much the same way every time.
Q: What is your favorite moment of your baseball career so far?
A: I guess any time we sweep a series in BIG EAST conference play is a highlight for me.
Q: Is it easier to hit a 90 mph fastball or a wiffleball curveball?
A: Definitely a 90 mph fastball.
Q: Do you have any hobbies off the field?
A: Larping, for sure. (Live-Action Role-Playing is an activity where participants act out characters’ actions from role-playing games).
Q: What is your major and a favorite class?
A: My major is FTT (Film, Television, and Theatre), and my favorite class is Video Games and Gender Roles.
Q: What is your favorite spot on campus?
A: My favorite spot on campus is probably my futon.
Q: What is the best nickname on the team and who has it?
A: The best nickname on the team is “The Cinnamon Dragon.” That would be Forrest Johnson.
Q: Do you have a nickname?
A: People call me “Get Philly” or “Brosey” sometimes.
Q: What is your favorite phrase from one of the coaches?
A: Coach Cheek, our strength and conditioning coach, says “If you want to be strong, pick up heavy things often.”
- Softball. Irish Softball Schedule Against Louisville Altered
- M. Lacrosse. #13 Duke Eliminates #4 Notre Dame in ACC Men's Lacrosse Semifinal
- Baseball. Saturday Baseball Versus Ohio Postponed
- M. Lacrosse. Kavanagh, Landis and Perkovic Headline Tewaaraton Nominees
- Football. Two Fighting Irish Players Off the Board in Third Round of NFL Draft
- W. Lacrosse. #6 Notre Dame Loses To #4 Syracuse in ACC Semifinal
- Football. Two Fighting Irish Players Off the Board in Second Round of NFL Draft
- Baseball. Solomon Strikes Out Ten Batters As The Irish Notch 2-1 Victory Over Ohio
- Monogram Club. Sarah Kappers And Brian Talcott Receive Monogram Club Postgraduate Scholarships
- Baseball. Notre Dame Welcomes In Ohio For Non-Conference Series
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- With the addition of Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller, @NDFootball has seen 65 1st Round NFL Draft Picks. https://t.co/BHsaViqSf7 44 minutes ago
- Tatum Gumpf... Daughter Fighter Cancer Survivor Sat. | ND's Strikeout Cancer Weekend INFO: UND.com/strikeoutcancer amp.twimg.com/v/d67746be-3f7… 21 hours ago
- High School Butkus Award✔️ Collegiate Butkus Award✔️ NFL Linebacker✔️ Only Jaylon Smith & Manti Te'o check all 3 https://t.co/CNpL6FXqwu 1 day ago
- 🏈 No. 6 #NFLDraft pick Ronnie Stanley is nearly invincible. There's just 1 thing he should avoid in Baltimore ... 🦀 amp.twimg.com/v/efeae085-5dd… 1 day ago
- ACC Quarterfinals:✔️ @NDWomensLax beat Louisville 12-10 & advance to ACC Semifinals. WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/Vjcn… https://t.co/pPoaTdCHyW 1 day ago