Feb 7, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
Phil Mosey is an infielder and catcher for the Irish baseball team. I spoke with the Fishers, Ind. native about his interests both on and off the diamond.
Q: Who was your favorite baseball player as a kid?
A: Derek Jeter, for sure.
Q: What player do you model your game after?
A: I’m a pretty big Chipper Jones fan. I try to model his old-school style of play.
Q: Who is your favorite pro team?
A: The [New York] Yankees.
Q: Do you have a pregame ritual?
A: Yeah. I just eat as many egg sandwiches and PB&J’s that I can. I try to carbo-load.
Q: Do you have a batting box ritual?
A: Yeah, I basically get in and out of the box pretty much the same way every time.
Q: What is your favorite moment of your baseball career so far?
A: I guess any time we sweep a series in BIG EAST conference play is a highlight for me.
Q: Is it easier to hit a 90 mph fastball or a wiffleball curveball?
A: Definitely a 90 mph fastball.
Q: Do you have any hobbies off the field?
A: Larping, for sure. (Live-Action Role-Playing is an activity where participants act out characters’ actions from role-playing games).
Q: What is your major and a favorite class?
A: My major is FTT (Film, Television, and Theatre), and my favorite class is Video Games and Gender Roles.
Q: What is your favorite spot on campus?
A: My favorite spot on campus is probably my futon.
Q: What is the best nickname on the team and who has it?
A: The best nickname on the team is “The Cinnamon Dragon.” That would be Forrest Johnson.
Q: Do you have a nickname?
A: People call me “Get Philly” or “Brosey” sometimes.
Q: What is your favorite phrase from one of the coaches?
A: Coach Cheek, our strength and conditioning coach, says “If you want to be strong, pick up heavy things often.”
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Ranked #15 In Polls After Petersen's Big Weekend
- M. Basketball. Virginia Preview - Five Things To Know
- W. Tennis. Irish Roll To Twin Sweeps In Season-Opening Doubleheader
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall To #15 Kentucky In Tight 5-2 Contest
- Fencing. Irish Wrap New York Stay At NYU Invite
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Breezes By Tar Heels
- M. Basketball. Sunday Brunch: Irish Defense Dooms 'Cuse
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Blank New Hampshire 3-0 For A Three Point Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Fighting Irish Victorious in Indianapolis
- Fencing. Irish Look Strong At Elite St. John's Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: A 4th grade class from California wished to see their dream college. Wish granted! See their trip to @NotreDame. https… 7 hours ago
- Sunday, @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw won her 750th game at ND. Go behind-the-scenes of the win w/ @NDSportsBlogger &… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 9 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️ ND HISTORY With a 77-55 win over UNC, @ndwbb head coach Muffet McGraw earns her 750th win at Notre Dame. https://t.c… 18 hours ago
- ☘️ ND HISTORY With a 77-55 win over UNC, @ndwbb head coach Muffet McGraw earns her 750th win at Notre Dame. und.com/sports/w-baskb… 1 day ago
- Saturday, @NDmbb All-American & 1st Round Draft Pick David Rivers was inducted into the Ring of Honor.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago