Feb 8, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT
The Notre Dame softball team will start the 2013 campaign in weather that is a little more pleasant than snowy South Bend. The Irish are headed to Charlotte, N.C. and will take part in the Fast Pitch Classic on February 9th and 10th.
The Irish will be facing the Badgers of Wisconsin and the 49ers of Charlotte on Saturday. On Sunday Notre Dame will rematch the Badgers and will also face the Blue Hose of Presbyterian. The first game on both Saturday and Sunday will start at 10:00 a.m. with the second game staring at noon.
Senior captain Amy Buntin figures to lead the Irish from behind the plate this year. Buntin was recently named to the watch list for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award. She was also named to the NFCA All-American second team last year, as she hit 12 homers and recorded 60 RBI over the course of the season, all while batting .360.
Notre Dame will also rely on the pitching duo of junior Laura Winter and senior Brittany O’Donnell. Winter went 29-11 last season and was named BIG EAST Pitcher of the Year. That success culminated in a trip the program’s first ever trip to Tucson, Ariz. for the regional round of the 2012 NCAA Softball Championships. The Irish have now been to an impressive 14 consecutive appearance in the NCAA Championships.
To watch the Irish’s noon contest against Charlotte on Saturday, click here.
- M. Ice Hockey. Ten Named to Hockey East All-Academic Team
- W. Golf. Irish Foursome Named To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- Football. Irish Extra: Football 101
- Track. Irish Named To All-ACC Academic Track & Field Teams
- Baseball. Seven Baseball Standouts Earn All-ACC Academic Team Honors
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Promoted To Associate Womenâ€™s Basketball Coach
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Top ACC Scholar-Athlete For Second Straight Year
- Track. Irish Alums Wrap Weekend At USATF Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. Fischer, Gilbert Taken in NHL Draft
- W. Basketball. Ali Patberg Added To USA Basketball U19 World Championship Team
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.