Feb 8, 2013, 8:50 AM EST
The Notre Dame softball team will start the 2013 campaign in weather that is a little more pleasant than snowy South Bend. The Irish are headed to Charlotte, N.C. and will take part in the Fast Pitch Classic on February 9th and 10th.
The Irish will be facing the Badgers of Wisconsin and the 49ers of Charlotte on Saturday. On Sunday Notre Dame will rematch the Badgers and will also face the Blue Hose of Presbyterian. The first game on both Saturday and Sunday will start at 10:00 a.m. with the second game staring at noon.
Senior captain Amy Buntin figures to lead the Irish from behind the plate this year. Buntin was recently named to the watch list for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award. She was also named to the NFCA All-American second team last year, as she hit 12 homers and recorded 60 RBI over the course of the season, all while batting .360.
Notre Dame will also rely on the pitching duo of junior Laura Winter and senior Brittany O’Donnell. Winter went 29-11 last season and was named BIG EAST Pitcher of the Year. That success culminated in a trip the program’s first ever trip to Tucson, Ariz. for the regional round of the 2012 NCAA Softball Championships. The Irish have now been to an impressive 14 consecutive appearance in the NCAA Championships.
To watch the Irish’s noon contest against Charlotte on Saturday, click here.
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
- W. Basketball. No. 6/5 Women's Hoops to Head West on Oregon Trail
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: Five Things to Watch
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ink Four
- M. Basketball. Irish Roll In 105-66 Blowout Victory Over Chicago State
- Softball. Irish Softball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- W. Basketball. The Muffet McGraw Radio Show, Presented by TireRack.com, Returns Nov. 20
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ @NDHockey’s Friday night checklist: ✅ Beat RPI, 4-1 ✅ Cheer on @NDSoccer as it makes the #Sweet16 in penalty ki… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 30 minutes ago
- No. 4️⃣ @NDHockey had goals from 4️⃣ different players in Friday's win vs. RPI! #GoIrish https://t.co/HILYUidL7C 1 hour ago
- Did you miss 👀 @NDFootball’s Rockne Heritage uniforms on @SportsCenter’s #GearUp segment? Learn about every stitch.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Ready to sail into Saturday's last home game at 3:30 p.m. on NBC. 🎥: @NDFootball #GoIrish https://t.co/eZYBx4fsyY 1 hour ago
- First light. Last home game. Ready for some 🏈. #GoIrish https://t.co/F3k3DOzroZ 2 hours ago