Feb 13, 2013, 10:48 AM EST
Conor Biggio is a switch-hitting sophomore outfielder from Houston, Tex. In the latest installment in the “Covering the Bases” series, I spoke with Conor about some of his rituals on the diamond and his interests off the field.
Q: Who was your favorite baseball player as a kid?
A: I’m kind of biased because my dad played in the MLB, but yeah, my favorite player was Craig Biggio.
Q: Who is your favorite pro team?
A: (After a brief hesitation and laugh) The Astros.
Q: Other than your dad, whom did you look to as a role model?
A: My mom was definitely my role model.
Q: Describe your pre-game ritual.
A: I always put on the left of everything first. The left sock, the left shoe, the left pant leg, the left batting glove…I don’t know, I’m weird.
Q: Do you have a batting box ritual?
A: Not really. I usually just take a practice swing right before I step in with my left foot, and I get ready to go.
Q: What is your favorite pre-game meal?
A: I like in the morning when we get breakfast from Einstein’s. I love the little breakfast sandwiches and the cinnamon donuts we get.
Q: What is your favorite moment of your baseball career so far?
A: It would probably be winning the state title my senior year of high school. My dad was the coach and my brother was on the team as well. Just having us all on the field at the same time was a really special moment for me.
Q: Is it easier to hit a 90 mph fastball or a wiffleball curveball?
A: Wow, I don’t know. It depends how good the wiffleball curveball is because it can be pretty tough to hit. I guess I’m going to have to go with the wiffleball curveball.
Q: What is your major and a favorite class?
A: I don’t have a major at the moment, but I am in the College of Arts and Letters. My favorite class right now is probably my War and Terror class. It’s pretty interesting.
Q: Do you have any hobbies off the field?
A: Not really, just hanging out with friends and being a typical college kid.
Q: What is your favorite spot on campus?
A: Probably my bed. Yeah, definitely my bed.
Q: What is the best nickname on the team and who has it?
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
- W. Basketball. No. 6/5 Women's Hoops to Head West on Oregon Trail
- Football. Notre Dame-Navy: Five Things to Watch
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ink Four
- M. Basketball. Irish Roll In 105-66 Blowout Victory Over Chicago State
- Softball. Irish Softball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- W. Basketball. The Muffet McGraw Radio Show, Presented by TireRack.com, Returns Nov. 20
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️ @NDHockey’s Friday night checklist: ✅ Beat RPI, 4-1 ✅ Cheer on @NDSoccer as it makes the #Sweet16 in penalty ki… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 40 minutes ago
- No. 4️⃣ @NDHockey had goals from 4️⃣ different players in Friday's win vs. RPI! #GoIrish https://t.co/HILYUidL7C 1 hour ago
- Did you miss 👀 @NDFootball’s Rockne Heritage uniforms on @SportsCenter’s #GearUp segment? Learn about every stitch.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- Ready to sail into Saturday's last home game at 3:30 p.m. on NBC. 🎥: @NDFootball #GoIrish https://t.co/eZYBx4fsyY 1 hour ago
- First light. Last home game. Ready for some 🏈. #GoIrish https://t.co/F3k3DOzroZ 2 hours ago