Feb 13, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
If the Fighting Irish had to name one potentially season-changing weekend, their second sweep of the Michigan Wolverines might be it. The Irish did not just beat Michigan, they rolled them. Notre Dame put up thirteen goals this weekend—an incredible amount by any standard. The offensive play was unbelievable, particularly from the line of Anders Lee, Jeff Costello, and Bryan Rust. The Irish Icers may have let in eight goals this weekend, but that is hardly a blemish on the overall success of the series. Now, some reflections from my eyes in the press box:
- Costello, Lee, and Rust making it happen as a line. Needless to say, this trio showed their offensive prowess this weekend against Michigan, combining for nine points Friday night and seven points Saturday night. Every time they touched the ice (which was quite often), plays were being made and scoring chances were being created. I haven’t the slightest clue what Coach Jackson has these guys eating, but let’s hope they don’t change a thing.
- David Gerths making big contributions. The line of David Gerths, Nick Larson, and Kevin Nugent is not meant to be a goal scoring line for the Irish. These are three go-to guys who, no matter the situation, will give you a solid shift on the ice. They are all good defensive forwards who play with some of the most heart on the team. Having all these great qualities, it doesn’t hurt every now and then when David Gerths comes through with a three goal weekend. It’s got to put on smile on Coach Jackson’s face to see his guys with grit getting some goals.
Momentum has been a common theme which I’ve brought up during this second half of the season. Right now, the Irish have quite a bit of it. As it stands, the Irish are in third place in the CCHA, two points behind Western Michigan, and three points behind Miami of Ohio. The Irish take on the Miami Redhawks this weekend in their outdoor matchup at Soldier Field in Chicago. The points to be gained or lost this weekend could be make or break for the Irish; we’ll have to see if they can bring the same game they showed at the Compton up to the Windy City.
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Stung By #13 MSU 1-0
- Football. Irish Return From Bye Week, Set to Host Miami
- Baseball. Haunted Eck Returns Friday Night
- M. Golf. Irish Conclude Fall Season in Florida
- Football. Alan Page: ‘I still have work to do’
- Football. University of Notre Dame Football Media Conference
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Open Hockey East Play By Hosting Huskies
- M. Golf. Irish Competing in Final Fall Event
- Swimming & Diving. Irish Swimming & Diving Programs Ranked Among Top 15 Nationally
- M. Soccer. #4 Irish Meet #20 MSU In Final ’16 Nonconference Match
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ⚾ Good luck to @NDBaseball alum & @Indians pitcher Jeff Manship in the #WorldSeries vs the Cubs! https://t.co/luBRgAQgvV 8 hours ago
- 📆 Mark your calendar! Thursday is @NDSoccer Senior Night. #12 ND vs. Miami 7pm | Alumni Stadium TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 14 hours ago
- 🎙Tune in to the Brian Kelly press conference. Hear Coach Kelly preview Saturday's game vs. Miami. WATCH:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 17 hours ago
- 50 years ago Ara Parseghian led ND to a national title. Relive the '66 title run in Onward Notre Dame. FULL VIDEO… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago
- RT @FightingIrish: In 4 years at Notre Dame @NDXCTF's Molly Seidel won 4 @NCAA titles. She's not done. Hear Molly's story going into her… 1 day ago