Feb 13, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
If the Fighting Irish had to name one potentially season-changing weekend, their second sweep of the Michigan Wolverines might be it. The Irish did not just beat Michigan, they rolled them. Notre Dame put up thirteen goals this weekend—an incredible amount by any standard. The offensive play was unbelievable, particularly from the line of Anders Lee, Jeff Costello, and Bryan Rust. The Irish Icers may have let in eight goals this weekend, but that is hardly a blemish on the overall success of the series. Now, some reflections from my eyes in the press box:
- Costello, Lee, and Rust making it happen as a line. Needless to say, this trio showed their offensive prowess this weekend against Michigan, combining for nine points Friday night and seven points Saturday night. Every time they touched the ice (which was quite often), plays were being made and scoring chances were being created. I haven’t the slightest clue what Coach Jackson has these guys eating, but let’s hope they don’t change a thing.
- David Gerths making big contributions. The line of David Gerths, Nick Larson, and Kevin Nugent is not meant to be a goal scoring line for the Irish. These are three go-to guys who, no matter the situation, will give you a solid shift on the ice. They are all good defensive forwards who play with some of the most heart on the team. Having all these great qualities, it doesn’t hurt every now and then when David Gerths comes through with a three goal weekend. It’s got to put on smile on Coach Jackson’s face to see his guys with grit getting some goals.
Momentum has been a common theme which I’ve brought up during this second half of the season. Right now, the Irish have quite a bit of it. As it stands, the Irish are in third place in the CCHA, two points behind Western Michigan, and three points behind Miami of Ohio. The Irish take on the Miami Redhawks this weekend in their outdoor matchup at Soldier Field in Chicago. The points to be gained or lost this weekend could be make or break for the Irish; we’ll have to see if they can bring the same game they showed at the Compton up to the Windy City.
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored As A Richter Award Finalist
- W. Basketball. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Battle Buckeyes
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Virginia Tech
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: NC State & Miami
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. NCAA Northeast Regional Awaits
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 17 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 23 hours ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ IRISH DOMINATE ACC FENCING Men's & Women's @NDFencing teams combine for 4 of 6 ACC Fencer of the Year awards. und.com/sports/c-fenc/… 1 day ago