Feb 13, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
If the Fighting Irish had to name one potentially season-changing weekend, their second sweep of the Michigan Wolverines might be it. The Irish did not just beat Michigan, they rolled them. Notre Dame put up thirteen goals this weekend—an incredible amount by any standard. The offensive play was unbelievable, particularly from the line of Anders Lee, Jeff Costello, and Bryan Rust. The Irish Icers may have let in eight goals this weekend, but that is hardly a blemish on the overall success of the series. Now, some reflections from my eyes in the press box:
- Costello, Lee, and Rust making it happen as a line. Needless to say, this trio showed their offensive prowess this weekend against Michigan, combining for nine points Friday night and seven points Saturday night. Every time they touched the ice (which was quite often), plays were being made and scoring chances were being created. I haven’t the slightest clue what Coach Jackson has these guys eating, but let’s hope they don’t change a thing.
- David Gerths making big contributions. The line of David Gerths, Nick Larson, and Kevin Nugent is not meant to be a goal scoring line for the Irish. These are three go-to guys who, no matter the situation, will give you a solid shift on the ice. They are all good defensive forwards who play with some of the most heart on the team. Having all these great qualities, it doesn’t hurt every now and then when David Gerths comes through with a three goal weekend. It’s got to put on smile on Coach Jackson’s face to see his guys with grit getting some goals.
Momentum has been a common theme which I’ve brought up during this second half of the season. Right now, the Irish have quite a bit of it. As it stands, the Irish are in third place in the CCHA, two points behind Western Michigan, and three points behind Miami of Ohio. The Irish take on the Miami Redhawks this weekend in their outdoor matchup at Soldier Field in Chicago. The points to be gained or lost this weekend could be make or break for the Irish; we’ll have to see if they can bring the same game they showed at the Compton up to the Windy City.
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Garner Individual And Team Weekly Accolades
- Baseball. Smoyer Hurls Complete-Game Shutout Against Eastern Michigan
- Football. 2015 Fighting Irish Football Pro Day Coverage
- Softball. Beneath The Bows
- Softball. #RV Irish Go For Perfect Homestand Wednesday Against Eastern Michigan
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Trio Earns All-America Honors
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Boasts Most Successful Combined Basketball Programs
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Boasts Most Successful Combined Basketball Programs
- M. Basketball. FIGHTING IRISH REWIND
- M. Basketball. A Big Awards Day For Jerian Grant
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- So, you're saying Jewell is pretty darn good at basketball? 🍀🏀🏆 http://t.co/iLNOs6b387 3 hours ago
- At Notre Dame, If You Can Play, You Can Play. VIDEO: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/Rua3… 6 hours ago
- 💡⬆️#⃣1⃣ After beating Syracuse, @NDlacrosse moves to #1 in the national polls & is named @NCAA_Lax team of the week. http://t.co/DtZsKVylW5 23 hours ago
- Coming to ND puts you in the spotlight both ACADEMICALLY & ATHLETICALLY. All 👀 were on @NDmbb in the Elite Eight. http://t.co/THVlREofdx 1 day ago
- The All-America honors keep rolling in for WBB. 🍀 J. Loyd, unanimous 1st-team 🍀 B. Turner, L. Allen, Hon. Mention http://t.co/BH5KkoigNj 1 day ago