Feb 13, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
If the Fighting Irish had to name one potentially season-changing weekend, their second sweep of the Michigan Wolverines might be it. The Irish did not just beat Michigan, they rolled them. Notre Dame put up thirteen goals this weekend—an incredible amount by any standard. The offensive play was unbelievable, particularly from the line of Anders Lee, Jeff Costello, and Bryan Rust. The Irish Icers may have let in eight goals this weekend, but that is hardly a blemish on the overall success of the series. Now, some reflections from my eyes in the press box:
- Costello, Lee, and Rust making it happen as a line. Needless to say, this trio showed their offensive prowess this weekend against Michigan, combining for nine points Friday night and seven points Saturday night. Every time they touched the ice (which was quite often), plays were being made and scoring chances were being created. I haven’t the slightest clue what Coach Jackson has these guys eating, but let’s hope they don’t change a thing.
- David Gerths making big contributions. The line of David Gerths, Nick Larson, and Kevin Nugent is not meant to be a goal scoring line for the Irish. These are three go-to guys who, no matter the situation, will give you a solid shift on the ice. They are all good defensive forwards who play with some of the most heart on the team. Having all these great qualities, it doesn’t hurt every now and then when David Gerths comes through with a three goal weekend. It’s got to put on smile on Coach Jackson’s face to see his guys with grit getting some goals.
Momentum has been a common theme which I’ve brought up during this second half of the season. Right now, the Irish have quite a bit of it. As it stands, the Irish are in third place in the CCHA, two points behind Western Michigan, and three points behind Miami of Ohio. The Irish take on the Miami Redhawks this weekend in their outdoor matchup at Soldier Field in Chicago. The points to be gained or lost this weekend could be make or break for the Irish; we’ll have to see if they can bring the same game they showed at the Compton up to the Windy City.
- M. Golf. Albin Tops Irish as Play Concludes in Arizona
- W. Golf. Irish Finish Sixth At Season Opening Schooner Classic
- W. Soccer. #24 Irish Tame Panthers In 4-0 Victory
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Blows by Hurricanes in Straight-Set Win
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Look Themselves in Mirror
- Football. VanGorder Relieved of Duties; Hudson Assumes Responsibilities
- Football. Notre Dame-Duke 2016: What the Irish Learned
- M. Golf. Irish Battle at Maui Jim Intercollegiate
- W. Golf. Irish Eighth After Two Rounds At The Schooner Classic
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Pittsburgh
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘️Stellar Weekend 🏐 @NDVolleyball downs Miami 3-0 to earn its 2nd sweep of the weekend. READ: und.com/sports/w-volle… h… 1 hour ago
- ☘️Stellar Weekend 🏐 @NDVolleyball downs Miami 3-0 to earn its 2nd sweep of the weekend. READ:… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 14 hours ago
- 🍀 4 Goals by 4 Different Players. @NDSoccer wins its ACC home opener 4-0 vs. Pittsburgh. 📽 Top-5 Moments https://t.co/yIYW2ICCpk 16 hours ago
- 🏀 Mike Brey isn't just head coach of @NDmbb. He's a rock star drummer. Watch Coach Brey's performance with songwr… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 20 hours ago
- 🍀ND REWRITING HISTORY ⚾️@NDBaseball's Trey Mancini (@Orioles) becomes 3rd MLB player to hit HR in 1st 3 starts. https://t.co/KW4GDIxMSU 1 day ago