Feb 13, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
If the Fighting Irish had to name one potentially season-changing weekend, their second sweep of the Michigan Wolverines might be it. The Irish did not just beat Michigan, they rolled them. Notre Dame put up thirteen goals this weekend—an incredible amount by any standard. The offensive play was unbelievable, particularly from the line of Anders Lee, Jeff Costello, and Bryan Rust. The Irish Icers may have let in eight goals this weekend, but that is hardly a blemish on the overall success of the series. Now, some reflections from my eyes in the press box:
- Costello, Lee, and Rust making it happen as a line. Needless to say, this trio showed their offensive prowess this weekend against Michigan, combining for nine points Friday night and seven points Saturday night. Every time they touched the ice (which was quite often), plays were being made and scoring chances were being created. I haven’t the slightest clue what Coach Jackson has these guys eating, but let’s hope they don’t change a thing.
- David Gerths making big contributions. The line of David Gerths, Nick Larson, and Kevin Nugent is not meant to be a goal scoring line for the Irish. These are three go-to guys who, no matter the situation, will give you a solid shift on the ice. They are all good defensive forwards who play with some of the most heart on the team. Having all these great qualities, it doesn’t hurt every now and then when David Gerths comes through with a three goal weekend. It’s got to put on smile on Coach Jackson’s face to see his guys with grit getting some goals.
Momentum has been a common theme which I’ve brought up during this second half of the season. Right now, the Irish have quite a bit of it. As it stands, the Irish are in third place in the CCHA, two points behind Western Michigan, and three points behind Miami of Ohio. The Irish take on the Miami Redhawks this weekend in their outdoor matchup at Soldier Field in Chicago. The points to be gained or lost this weekend could be make or break for the Irish; we’ll have to see if they can bring the same game they showed at the Compton up to the Windy City.
- M. Golf. Men's Golf in Eighth After Two Rounds at the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball Single Game Tickets On Sale Beginning Thursday Evening
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Media Day Quotes
- W. Basketball. Irish Hold Annual Women's Basketball Media Day
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Leadership Mantle Falls to Senior Quintet
- W. Soccer. Irish Women’s Soccer Finds Its Rhythm Again
- M. Basketball. Brey’s Crew Receives Rings, Prepares to Raise Banner—and Moves On
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Irish Film Credits Roll On and On
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey Skates To 2-2 Exhibition Tie Against the USNTDP U-18 Team
- W. Soccer. #16/11 Irish Go On Attack In 2-0 Win Over Boston College
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💥You want it, we've got it💥 Trick Shot Monday, SOUTHERN CAL week. LET'S. DO. THIS. @NDFootball #TrickShotMonday amp.twimg.com/v/1405ca11-f82… 11 hours ago
- 🏈41 points later & we're 5-1 Recap Saturday's win vs. Navy with Inside @NDFootball WATCH: UND.com/bktvshow amp.twimg.com/v/42fdd297-0b4… 13 hours ago
- 🎥 It's Media Day for @ndwbb 🏀 🏆 The National Championship grind begins... 🔥 We're ready. http://t.co/eHJi21x92D 17 hours ago
- 🏈Jack's Our Hero Make-A-Wish helps teen meet his favorite ND team (HT @SBTribune) READ: southbendtribune.com/news/local/mak… http://t.co/7ZJwUXDoLl 21 hours ago
- 🍀 Night Irish Fans, There's a candle here for you. 🌌 Dream on. http://t.co/nXF662NXey 1 day ago