Feb 13, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
If the Fighting Irish had to name one potentially season-changing weekend, their second sweep of the Michigan Wolverines might be it. The Irish did not just beat Michigan, they rolled them. Notre Dame put up thirteen goals this weekend—an incredible amount by any standard. The offensive play was unbelievable, particularly from the line of Anders Lee, Jeff Costello, and Bryan Rust. The Irish Icers may have let in eight goals this weekend, but that is hardly a blemish on the overall success of the series. Now, some reflections from my eyes in the press box:
- Costello, Lee, and Rust making it happen as a line. Needless to say, this trio showed their offensive prowess this weekend against Michigan, combining for nine points Friday night and seven points Saturday night. Every time they touched the ice (which was quite often), plays were being made and scoring chances were being created. I haven’t the slightest clue what Coach Jackson has these guys eating, but let’s hope they don’t change a thing.
- David Gerths making big contributions. The line of David Gerths, Nick Larson, and Kevin Nugent is not meant to be a goal scoring line for the Irish. These are three go-to guys who, no matter the situation, will give you a solid shift on the ice. They are all good defensive forwards who play with some of the most heart on the team. Having all these great qualities, it doesn’t hurt every now and then when David Gerths comes through with a three goal weekend. It’s got to put on smile on Coach Jackson’s face to see his guys with grit getting some goals.
Momentum has been a common theme which I’ve brought up during this second half of the season. Right now, the Irish have quite a bit of it. As it stands, the Irish are in third place in the CCHA, two points behind Western Michigan, and three points behind Miami of Ohio. The Irish take on the Miami Redhawks this weekend in their outdoor matchup at Soldier Field in Chicago. The points to be gained or lost this weekend could be make or break for the Irish; we’ll have to see if they can bring the same game they showed at the Compton up to the Windy City.
- Softball. Irish Trio Earn All-ACC Academic Honors
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Volleyball. Sunday Brunch: Passion Fuels Johnson's Plans
- M. Ice Hockey. Pivonka And Stastney Selected In The 2018 NHL Draft
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish In The NHL Draft
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Volleyball Unveils 2018 Schedule
- M. Golf. Two Irish Golfers Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Track & Field. Harris Named First Team Academic All-American
- Football. WATCH: Freshmen Move In
- W. Golf. Irish Trio Earn 2018 All-ACC Academic Team Honors
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ⛳️ ➕ 📚 @NDMensGolf's Kevin Conners and Miguel Delgado were named to the All-ACC Academic Team! #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-golf/… 2 hours ago
- ☘️🏒 Jake Pivonka 👉 @NYIslanders ☘️🏒 Spencer Stastney 👉 @PredsNHL ✌️ of @NDHockey's incoming freshmen join the 2018… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 21 hours ago
- "I really wanted to coach more than I wanted to play. I just loved to do it, loved to teach." Meet @NDVolleyball's… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- We're sure #InternationalFairyDay is great and all... but when is International Leprechaun Day? ☘️ (Asking for a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- The ☝️st day of @NDmbb practice is in the 📚! Rex Pflueger takes you behind-the-scenes from his perspective! ⤵️… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago