Feb 18, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
As junior Billy Pecor was playing the match point against No. 21 Michigan (and after over three and a half hours of play), the whole team stood on the adjacent court eagerly waiting for a victory. Pecor won the point, threw his racket up in the air, and the team rushed over to congratulate him.
That moment described the mood of the entire day. Playing a rival is tense, but when Notre Dame and Michigan meet, it’s something else.
“Our last three matches against [Michigan] have all come down to the last match on,” said senior Spencer Talmadge during the singles matches.
Make that the last four matches.
“Whenever it comes down to the last match on to decide it, it’s always really intense, but yesterday seemed even more so given that it was against our most hated rival,” said freshman Alex Lawson, Pecor’s doubles partner. “When he won and we all stormed the court, it was such a good feeling and I think you could really see how much we all wanted it. That’s what college tennis is all about.”
The day started with doubles. Pecor and Lawson were the first done, defeating the Wolverines’ Vlad Stefan and Michael Zhu. The pairs of Talmadge and Greg Andrews, and Ryan Bandy and Matt Dooley finished in close losses to Evan King and Alex Petrone, and Shaun Bernstein and Barrett Franks, respectively.
The match was also long-time head coach Bobby Bayliss’s last against Michigan, as he will be retiring at the end of the season.
“It was great to give Coach Bayliss a win over them in his last year, too. We know that matchup means a lot to him,” said Lawson.
The Irish travel to Columbus, Ohio to play the Ohio State University next on Feb. 23.
- Track. Men Finish Day One Of ACCs In Fourth, Women In Tenth
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Make First Appearance At Virginia This Weekend
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Tied For Fifth Following First Day Of ACC Women's Golf Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Await Tough Test From The Terps
- Fencing. Three NCAA Champions In Three Days: A Landmark Weekend in the History of Notre Dame Athletics
- W. Swimming. Three NCAA Champions In Three Days: A Landmark Weekend in the History of Notre Dame Athletics
- Softball. Wester Named NFCA Freshman Of The Year Top 25 Finalist
- Football. Football, Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event Set For May 4
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Welcomes Board of Directors Class of 2017
- Baseball. Irish Score Two In The Ninth To Earn 4-3 Road Win Over Toledo
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDIrishEyes: It’s time - The top 5 twitter accts in the running for #Tweetmaster are …. @NDFabFive @Mr_JoeyCresta @alouise44 @Yes_Sheeh… 7 hours ago
- RT @NDFabFive: Fab5 has set records for most nominations, most consecutive nominations, least victories, and most ppl sharing a twitter pag… 7 hours ago
- RT @NDXCTF: Women in 10th after day one of #ACCOTF. Let's go Irish! 7 hours ago
- RT @NDXCTF: ND Men are in fourth place at the ACC Championships after day one. Go Irish! #ACCOTF 7 hours ago
- So do you have @theshirtND yet? #GetYours bit.ly/1lWpjQm 8 hours ago