Feb 18, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
As junior Billy Pecor was playing the match point against No. 21 Michigan (and after over three and a half hours of play), the whole team stood on the adjacent court eagerly waiting for a victory. Pecor won the point, threw his racket up in the air, and the team rushed over to congratulate him.
That moment described the mood of the entire day. Playing a rival is tense, but when Notre Dame and Michigan meet, it’s something else.
“Our last three matches against [Michigan] have all come down to the last match on,” said senior Spencer Talmadge during the singles matches.
Make that the last four matches.
“Whenever it comes down to the last match on to decide it, it’s always really intense, but yesterday seemed even more so given that it was against our most hated rival,” said freshman Alex Lawson, Pecor’s doubles partner. “When he won and we all stormed the court, it was such a good feeling and I think you could really see how much we all wanted it. That’s what college tennis is all about.”
The day started with doubles. Pecor and Lawson were the first done, defeating the Wolverines’ Vlad Stefan and Michael Zhu. The pairs of Talmadge and Greg Andrews, and Ryan Bandy and Matt Dooley finished in close losses to Evan King and Alex Petrone, and Shaun Bernstein and Barrett Franks, respectively.
The match was also long-time head coach Bobby Bayliss’s last against Michigan, as he will be retiring at the end of the season.
“It was great to give Coach Bayliss a win over them in his last year, too. We know that matchup means a lot to him,” said Lawson.
The Irish travel to Columbus, Ohio to play the Ohio State University next on Feb. 23.
- Softball. Irish Strikeout Cancer With Arkansas
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato Named Tewaaraton Award Nominee
- Track. Irish Conclude Day One of Penn Relays
- Baseball. Irish & Blue Devils Play A Pair Friday
- W. Tennis. Irish Fall To Clemson In Second Round Of ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Irish Fall In 4-3 Heartbreaker To Louisville At ACC Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Rally Not Enough Against Eagles
- M. Soccer. Irish Take Pitch For Annual Clash With Mexico On Friday
- Baseball. Duke Visits For Pivotal League Series
- W. Soccer. Irish Slated To Face Off With Mexico In Annual Spring Finale
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ @NDSoftball is on a mission to fight pediatric cancer. Coach Gumpf's daughter Tatum is a survivor. Hear Tatum's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 3 hours ago
- That #FridayFeeling! ☀️ 15 Days Until Summer 🏈 120 Days Until College Football ☘ 127 Days Until Kickoff in ND Stad… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 #TBT to 2016 Ronnie Stanley & Will Fuller became @NDFootball's 65th & 66th 1st round NFL draft picks (3rd all-ti… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 22 hours ago
- ☘ 300 CLUB Congrats, @NDWomensLax goalie Sam Giacolone on her 300th career save during ACC Championships. Sam is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH BLANK EASTERN MICHIGAN Matt Vierling scored 2 runs and 3 RBI in @NDBaseball's 5-0 victory. 📽 Highlights https://t.co/evwnYZL6H3 1 day ago