Feb 18, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
As junior Billy Pecor was playing the match point against No. 21 Michigan (and after over three and a half hours of play), the whole team stood on the adjacent court eagerly waiting for a victory. Pecor won the point, threw his racket up in the air, and the team rushed over to congratulate him.
That moment described the mood of the entire day. Playing a rival is tense, but when Notre Dame and Michigan meet, it’s something else.
“Our last three matches against [Michigan] have all come down to the last match on,” said senior Spencer Talmadge during the singles matches.
Make that the last four matches.
“Whenever it comes down to the last match on to decide it, it’s always really intense, but yesterday seemed even more so given that it was against our most hated rival,” said freshman Alex Lawson, Pecor’s doubles partner. “When he won and we all stormed the court, it was such a good feeling and I think you could really see how much we all wanted it. That’s what college tennis is all about.”
The day started with doubles. Pecor and Lawson were the first done, defeating the Wolverines’ Vlad Stefan and Michael Zhu. The pairs of Talmadge and Greg Andrews, and Ryan Bandy and Matt Dooley finished in close losses to Evan King and Alex Petrone, and Shaun Bernstein and Barrett Franks, respectively.
The match was also long-time head coach Bobby Bayliss’s last against Michigan, as he will be retiring at the end of the season.
“It was great to give Coach Bayliss a win over them in his last year, too. We know that matchup means a lot to him,” said Lawson.
The Irish travel to Columbus, Ohio to play the Ohio State University next on Feb. 23.
- W. Volleyball. Irish Sweep Broncos, Off To Best Start In Five Years
- W. Volleyball. Sweep Of Cleveland State Sends Irish To 2-0
- W. Rowing. Shamrock Sister Helps U.S. To Silver Medal
- M. Soccer. #9 Irish Utilize Strong Attack With Opening Clean Sheet Against UC Irvine
- W. Volleyball. Irish Score Season-Opening Sweep Over Seton Hall
- Cross Country. Fighting Irish Prepared For Looming 2016 Schedule
- Softball. Irish Softball Academies Return In October
- M. Soccer. Irish Soccer On The Air Throughout 2016
- W. Volleyball. No Limits As Irish Embark Upon 2016
- W. Soccer. #12 Irish Fall To Wolverines 2-0
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Seton Hall✔️ Cleveland State✔️ W. Michigan✔️ @NDVolleyball starts 2016 with 3️⃣consecutive sweeps. 📽Top-5 Moments amp.twimg.com/v/657f912f-95a… 6 hours ago
- 🏈 Isaac Rochell 2016 @NDFootball Captain "Isaac is the guy that should lead us first." - Coach Keith Gilmore https://t.co/NS0DnP7SH3 8 hours ago
- 🏐 3rd Time's a Charm @NDVolleyball goes for its 3rd straight win @ 7pm ND vs W. Michigan 📺 espn.com/watchespn/inde… https://t.co/wzS2S66tsr 10 hours ago
- ⚽️ Goal ⚽️ Goal ⚽️ Goal ⚽️ Goal #9 @NDMenSoccer rocked its season opener w/ a 4-0 win vs UC Irvine. 📽Top-5 Moments amp.twimg.com/v/60145acf-43a… 17 hours ago
- RT @FightingIrish: ☘ 3 Sets, 3 Wins! @NDVolleyball swept its 1st match of the season vs. Seton Hall. 📽 Top-5 Moments https://t.co/0JGCNmZ… 19 hours ago