Feb 18, 2013, 9:29 AM EST
As junior Billy Pecor was playing the match point against No. 21 Michigan (and after over three and a half hours of play), the whole team stood on the adjacent court eagerly waiting for a victory. Pecor won the point, threw his racket up in the air, and the team rushed over to congratulate him.
That moment described the mood of the entire day. Playing a rival is tense, but when Notre Dame and Michigan meet, it’s something else.
“Our last three matches against [Michigan] have all come down to the last match on,” said senior Spencer Talmadge during the singles matches.
Make that the last four matches.
“Whenever it comes down to the last match on to decide it, it’s always really intense, but yesterday seemed even more so given that it was against our most hated rival,” said freshman Alex Lawson, Pecor’s doubles partner. “When he won and we all stormed the court, it was such a good feeling and I think you could really see how much we all wanted it. That’s what college tennis is all about.”
The day started with doubles. Pecor and Lawson were the first done, defeating the Wolverines’ Vlad Stefan and Michael Zhu. The pairs of Talmadge and Greg Andrews, and Ryan Bandy and Matt Dooley finished in close losses to Evan King and Alex Petrone, and Shaun Bernstein and Barrett Franks, respectively.
The match was also long-time head coach Bobby Bayliss’s last against Michigan, as he will be retiring at the end of the season.
“It was great to give Coach Bayliss a win over them in his last year, too. We know that matchup means a lot to him,” said Lawson.
The Irish travel to Columbus, Ohio to play the Ohio State University next on Feb. 23.
- M. Tennis. No. 14 Notre Dame Set To Clash With No. 3 Illinois
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Welcomes No. 9/10 BC For Weekend Series
- Baseball. Irish Head To Peach State For Final Non-Conference Tune-Up
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #4 Notre Dame 87, Pittsburgh 59
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Quotes
- M. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Senior Leadership Helps Keep Irish Train on Track
- W. Lacrosse. Fortunato and Sullivan Named to Tewaaraton Award Watch List
- Track. Irish Complete Day One At ACC Championships
- W. Basketball. #4 Irish Top Pittsburgh, 87-59, To Clinch Share of ACC Title
- M. Swimming. Irish Finish Day Two of ACC Championships, Earn Several NCAA B Cuts
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @Lizzmeister4: @NDSwimming changed their pre-race prayer, from Our Lady of Victory, to #FrTed. #Prayforus. #tradition #GoIrish http://t.… 1 hour ago
- RT @NCAA: We mourn the passing of former Notre Dame president & first NCAA Ford Award recipient Father Theodore Hesburgh. http://t.co/8aFvz… 3 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: A man who epitomized the spirit of "God, Country, @NotreDame." Rest in peace, Fr. Ted. hesburgh.nd.edu http://t.co/d… 3 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Today the Irish will be wearing black ribbons in their hair in honor of the late Father Theodore… instagram.com/p/znjdftgm4z/ 4 hours ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: God, Country, Notre Dame... RIP Fr. Ted http://t.co/sots37G65T 4 hours ago