Feb 18, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
As junior Billy Pecor was playing the match point against No. 21 Michigan (and after over three and a half hours of play), the whole team stood on the adjacent court eagerly waiting for a victory. Pecor won the point, threw his racket up in the air, and the team rushed over to congratulate him.
That moment described the mood of the entire day. Playing a rival is tense, but when Notre Dame and Michigan meet, it’s something else.
“Our last three matches against [Michigan] have all come down to the last match on,” said senior Spencer Talmadge during the singles matches.
Make that the last four matches.
“Whenever it comes down to the last match on to decide it, it’s always really intense, but yesterday seemed even more so given that it was against our most hated rival,” said freshman Alex Lawson, Pecor’s doubles partner. “When he won and we all stormed the court, it was such a good feeling and I think you could really see how much we all wanted it. That’s what college tennis is all about.”
The day started with doubles. Pecor and Lawson were the first done, defeating the Wolverines’ Vlad Stefan and Michael Zhu. The pairs of Talmadge and Greg Andrews, and Ryan Bandy and Matt Dooley finished in close losses to Evan King and Alex Petrone, and Shaun Bernstein and Barrett Franks, respectively.
The match was also long-time head coach Bobby Bayliss’s last against Michigan, as he will be retiring at the end of the season.
“It was great to give Coach Bayliss a win over them in his last year, too. We know that matchup means a lot to him,” said Lawson.
The Irish travel to Columbus, Ohio to play the Ohio State University next on Feb. 23.
- Baseball. No. 20 Irish Top No. 24 Cavaliers, 8-2, In ACC Tourney Action
- M. Lacrosse. IRISH EXTRA: Irish and Denver Back to Do It Again on NCAA Championship Weekend
- W. Basketball. Katie Capps Named Director of Women's Basketball Operations
- Track. Seidel Named to Capital One Academic All-District V First Team
- Cross Country. Seidel Named to Capital One Academic All-District V First Team
- W. Rowing. Irish Alumna Bruggeman Qualifies For Pan Am Games
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Extra: Another Notre Dame Men's Lax First -- Consecutive NCAA Final Fours
- M. Lacrosse. Seven Irish Players Cop USILA All-America Honors
- W. Tennis. Irish Duo Falls In NCAA Doubles Championship
- Baseball. Wolfpack Pitching Shuts Down Irish In ACC Opener
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🇺🇸ALL AMERICANS🇺🇸 @NDlacrosse is honored with 7 All-Americans prior to National Semifinals (Saturday - 1pm - ESPN2) http://t.co/1QBRVoFT8b 3 hours ago
- THE BOUNCE BACK BOYS In Game 2 of ACC Tourney, @NDBaseball downed #25 UVA, 8-2. Irish play #6 Miami Saturday (3pm) http://t.co/oeqeLxCQpQ 4 hours ago
- 🎾QUENTIN TO THE QUARTERS🎾 With a huge serve, @NDMensTennis' Quentin Monaghan moves onto NCAA Singles Quarterfinals. http://t.co/qID48ZoyxZ 6 hours ago
- 🎾DOUBLES DUO DOMINATION🎾 Alex Lawson & Billy Pecor become 1st @NDMensTennis duo to make round-of-16 since 1998! http://t.co/vbYDkuH70G 1 day ago
- You never know where this place will take you. #40YearDecision twitter.com/coachbriankell… 2 days ago