Feb 18, 2013, 9:35 AM EST
This weekend, The Fighting Irish men’s hockey team got back in touch with the roots of the sport’s history—playing outdoors, with the brisk wind in their faces and the sun above their heads. As an ode to the historic days of Irish hockey (the 1963-1968 years), the Irish Icers sported their throwback jerseys. The new jerseys exhibited a very simple yet classic look to them, having only the word “IRISH” written diagonally from right shoulder to left hip.
Although this was the Irish’s first outdoor classic, it was not the first time that rival hockey teams have met outside under the clouds and snowflakes. Michigan and Michigan State began the new trend in the modern era of hockey in 2001 when they hosted the “Cold War” at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Mich. After this, hockey clubs, including those in the NHL began to pick up the tradition. The 2003 Heritage Classic was an intra-national battle between the Edmonton Oilers and the Montreal Canadians. This was the first regular season outdoor game in NHL history. It was a major success, drawing nearly 60,000 diehard NHL fans who braved the -22 degree Fahrenheit wind-chill. The NHL soon decided to make a tradition of the outdoor game by installing an annual Winter Classic, the first taking place in Buffalo, N.Y. (Buffalo Sabres vs. Pittsburgh Penguins). The Spartans of Michigan State took on the Wolverines of Michigan once again in 2010; this time at the Big House in Michigan. This game solidified the outdoor hockey game tradition by recording the most highly attended hockey game in history—over 110,000 fans filled the stands on that cold December day in Ann Arbor.
With the disbanding of the CCHA forthcoming at the end of the season, it is impossible to tell if the Fighting Irish will be able to continue this tradition of playing divisional games outdoors. Let’s hope the move to the Hockey East will provide an equal or better opportunity to keep this spirited tradition alive.
- M. Ice Hockey. Bjork Named A Hockey Humanitarian Nominee
- W. Basketball. Irish Bounce Back with Victory over Eagles
- Swimming & Diving. Notre Dame Ready For Top-25 Matchup Against Louisville
- M. Basketball. Phone Calls Annually Mark Anniversary of Landmark Irish Win
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Ball State & Kentucky
- M. Soccer. 2017 National Soccer Coaching Seminar Set For March 11
- W. Soccer. 2017 National Soccer Coaching Seminar Set For March 11
- Football. Matt Balis Named Notre Dame Director of Football Performance
- M. Lacrosse. Men's Lacrosse to Play Challenging 11-Game Schedule
- Football. DelVaughn Alexander Named Notre Dame Wide Receivers Coach
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏀@ndwbb in the Hall of Fame! @NDSportsBlogger toured the Women's Basketball HOF w/ the team. Special to see ND's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 12 hours ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/lpJR3BneRO 14 hours ago
- ON THIS DAY: 1974 @NDmbb beat #1 UCLA, ending their record 88-game winning streak. 📽Final seconds of the game: https://t.co/QfVE07MF45 18 hours ago
- A 4th grade class from California wished to see their dream college. Wish granted! See their trip to @NotreDame. https://t.co/nR7lK5ONvG 1 day ago
- FIGHTING IRISH vs. SEMINOLES @accmbb Showdown. @NDmbb: #1 in the ACC Florida State: #3 in the ACC ⏰7pm 💻… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago