Feb 18, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
This weekend, The Fighting Irish men’s hockey team got back in touch with the roots of the sport’s history—playing outdoors, with the brisk wind in their faces and the sun above their heads. As an ode to the historic days of Irish hockey (the 1963-1968 years), the Irish Icers sported their throwback jerseys. The new jerseys exhibited a very simple yet classic look to them, having only the word “IRISH” written diagonally from right shoulder to left hip.
Although this was the Irish’s first outdoor classic, it was not the first time that rival hockey teams have met outside under the clouds and snowflakes. Michigan and Michigan State began the new trend in the modern era of hockey in 2001 when they hosted the “Cold War” at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing, Mich. After this, hockey clubs, including those in the NHL began to pick up the tradition. The 2003 Heritage Classic was an intra-national battle between the Edmonton Oilers and the Montreal Canadians. This was the first regular season outdoor game in NHL history. It was a major success, drawing nearly 60,000 diehard NHL fans who braved the -22 degree Fahrenheit wind-chill. The NHL soon decided to make a tradition of the outdoor game by installing an annual Winter Classic, the first taking place in Buffalo, N.Y. (Buffalo Sabres vs. Pittsburgh Penguins). The Spartans of Michigan State took on the Wolverines of Michigan once again in 2010; this time at the Big House in Michigan. This game solidified the outdoor hockey game tradition by recording the most highly attended hockey game in history—over 110,000 fans filled the stands on that cold December day in Ann Arbor.
With the disbanding of the CCHA forthcoming at the end of the season, it is impossible to tell if the Fighting Irish will be able to continue this tradition of playing divisional games outdoors. Let’s hope the move to the Hockey East will provide an equal or better opportunity to keep this spirited tradition alive.
- W. Basketball. Irish Development Plan Leads To WNBA Success
- M. Soccer. Menâ€™s Soccer Establishes Itself With Exclamation
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Hockey Alums Host NHL Youth Clinic
- General News. CoachMePlus Announces Partnership with Notre Dame Athletics
- Football. Always 1 For The Gipper
- Cross Country. New Look Irish Ready for Run in 2015
- Football. Old Friends Reunite in Notre Dame Stadium: Notre Dame and Texas
- M. Soccer. Aubrey Honored Following Strong Opening Weekend
- M. Basketball. Irish Relish Opportunity in Year Three as ACC Member
- General News. A Dream Finally Realized For The Muchemis
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈@NDFootball PRIMER RELEASE Is it possible to be more hype for the season? Uh, YEAH. WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/xzbW… http://t.co/c0w6IyTpKn 50 minutes ago
- #TBT to that time Lou Holtz had 3 future head coaches on his staff Charlie Strong returns to the Stadium leading UT http://t.co/UWIMbNbfqg 4 hours ago
- Need help finding a spot for dinner this weekend? McKenna Hall is the place to be LEARN MORE: MorrisInnEvents.com http://t.co/rLsRDD5wdc 6 hours ago
- ⚽ The 2013 NCAA Champions are back. Hear Coach Bobby Clark set the tone for the season. @NDMenSoccer http://t.co/IFI2AfLD2L 21 hours ago
- We found our VIP Leprechaun for an @NDFootball game this year. #MoneyInTheBank #RespectTheHawk twitter.com/wwesheamus/sta… 21 hours ago