Feb 23, 2013, 8:29 AM EDT
So you’re a pretty big Notre Dame sports fan. You’ve watched football, checked out soccer and even made an appearance at Arlotta Stadium to see the lacrosse teams in action. And now that the team is hosting a tournament in their brand-new facilities, it’s time to see some fencing first-hand.
But if you have no idea how to behave yourself at a fencing match?
Never fear! I sat down with Marta Stepien, a senior sabreuse, to talk about some things you might want to know before heading over to the Castellan Family Fencing Center. Here’s my neatly summarized points, along with her comments. Take notice!
1) Don’t be obnoxious…at least not all the time
It’s perfectly acceptable to be rowdy for an entire football or basketball game. But please pick your spots when it comes to yelling during a bout.
“Fencing – you can relate it more to a quieter sport almost like tennis or golf. It’s really intense but still really quiet. There’s a certain etiquette in fencing that you have to uphold. When the ref initiates the bout, you have to stay silent, because that way you allow the fencers to have a focus and an energy about them that allows them to internalize everything and go for it. But once an action is complete, you’re more than welcome to go wild, and that’s what we love.”
2) If two Notre Dame fencers are competing, don’t pick sides.
Yes, this can happen in some tournament formats. It’d be rude to cheer for one teammate over the other, so take the time to analyze the athletes’ technique.
“When we have Notre Dame against Notre Dame, we won’t be cheering for either side because that’s our team. That’s our family.”
3) If you hear yelling, don’t worry. It’s completely normal.
Some fencers practically never scream, others do so almost every point. Either way, I promise that no one is actually in mortal peril.
“It can be a release of energy, or to get yourself pumped up. In some cases it’s to sway the judge in your favor. It’s like saying, “I got the point, give it to me, give it to me! It honestly depends on the fencer.”
Check back in for more fencing knowledge you never realized you were missing out on. And check out the Notre Dame Duels – they’re being held all day in the north dome of the JACC.
- Track. Barber Sets ND 100-Meter Hurdles Record At Texas Relays
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Rises To Fifth After Two Rounds At LSU Tiger Classic
- Softball. #RV Irish Shut Out #24 Virginia Tech 2-0 To Take Series Opener
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Irish Down #1 Syracuse In Double-Overtime, 13-12
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Meet #5/6 Baylor Sunday In NCAA Elite Eight
- M. Basketball. Elite Eight Preview: (3) #8 Notre Dame vs. (1) #1 Kentucky
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Allen Steals the Show for Irish Versus Stanford
- Softball. Notre Dame Softball Saturday Schedule Update
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 81, #14/17 Stanford 60 (NCAA Championship - Oklahoma City Regional Semifinal)
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes - Notre Dame vs. Stanford
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ❤️️🍀 4 hours ago
- Ten ties. fourteen lead changes. 5:23 left and the Irish lead 61-56. Pat headed to the line. TBS now. 4 hours ago
- Just saying…might want to turn on TBS. Just saying. 4 hours ago
- RT @angdicarlowndu: Former @NDFootball captain @EiferTy85 is "psyched" for his Irish. http://t.co/kBaO5GVL6N 5 hours ago
- A title fight underway in Cleveland. @NDmbb and no. 1 Kentucky into the half tied at 31. 20 minutes (at least) to the Final Four. TV: TBS. 5 hours ago