Feb 27, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
Entering the Shamrock Invitational, senior swimmer Chris Johnson had already accomplished a lot in his three and a half years at Notre Dame. The St. John, Ind. native is the program record holder in the 100-yard breaststroke and was only the fifth two-time captain of the Irish swimming and diving program.
However, Johnson added to his list of accomplishments when he took the blocks for the 100-yard breaststroke at the Shamrock Invite. “Just before the race, I glanced at the record board just to check what it was, since it would be the last chance I would ever have to break it,” said Johnson.
He got out early and after he turned off the final wall he powered through the last lap. “The last lap, I just put everything I had left into getting my hands on the wall,” explained Johnson. “I knew I had gone pretty fast, but when I turned around to look at the clock, I honestly couldn’t believe what I saw. Going out with that as my last swim in Rolfs is something I will never forget.”
After the Shamrock Invite, Johnson and the Irish set their focus on the BIG EAST Championships. “BIG EAST always carries a lot of goals,” said Johnson, “Defending our conference title from last year tops that list of goals.” Johnson also has personal goals at this year’s BIG EAST Championships. He hopes to better his program record while also qualifying for the NCAA Championships later in March.
Like many at Notre Dame, though, some of Johnson’s most treasured moments revolve around the brothers and family that he has at Notre Dame. While Johnson will always remember setting the university and pool records and winning last year’s BIG EAST Championships, it is the smaller moments that also stick out to him.
“Jumping into a freezing pool in the middle of December with your brothers, hitting a new personal best in the weight room while your brothers scream encouragement, eating together, living together, [and] traveling together,” are some of the memories that Johnson will take with him after his time at Notre Dame concludes. “I couldn’t have asked for a better family,” said Johnson.
Be sure to follow Johnson and the rest of the Notre Dame men’s and women’s swimming and diving programs as both teams compete in the BIG EAST Championships through Saturday.
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- Cross Country. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- General News. Notre Dame Lands 434 Student-Athletes on ACC Honor Roll
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The confetti fell 🎉, the national championship trophy's home 🏆, but we need your help one more time. Help @ndwbb b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- Step on set with the Irish! 📸 🎥 @NDVolleyball sophomore libero Madison Cruzado is taking you behind-the-scenes of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- ☘️ 👉 🇮🇪 @NDLacrosse alum Conor Kelly is at the @2018WorldLax Championships representing @IrelandLacrosse! #GoIrish https://t.co/bFpVyKbOv1 5 hours ago
- Whatcha got, #NDFamily? @NDLacrosse needs a 🔥 name for their mannequin to display their 🔥 swag! 🗣 Comment below w… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
- 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣6️⃣➡️ @NDSoccer visited France 🇫🇷 during the European ⚽️ Championships and sees Croatia 🇭🇷 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣8️⃣➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago