Feb 28, 2013, 5:03 PM EDT
As the records keep falling at the BIG EAST Swimming and Diving Championships this week at the IUPUI Natatorium in Indianapolis, a recent tweak to the qualifying process for the NCAA Championships has changed the means in which a relay may become eligible to participate in the pinnacle of collegiate competition.
Matt Tallman, Associate Head Coach of the men’s swimming team, was a key author in the new language, and he described the impact of the changes as “ensuring that the meet is at its highest quality. This will guarantee that the sixteen fastest relays will be at the meet and have an opportunity to score for their teams while also increasing the number of swimmers who will be qualified to swim based on their times alone.”
In previous years, teams could qualify for the NCAA Championships with just a relay. However, the new rule change in the selection procedure now states that even if a relay achieves a Qualifying (A-cut) time standard, the relay will not be invited unless there is one individual from the team who qualifies to swim in an individual event at the championships.
After at least one individual has qualified to swim an event, the team is then allowed to qualify its relay and can bring up to four more swimmers who are only allowed to swim on relays if they have not qualified individually themselves. In the past, these swimmers had been allowed to swim individual events if they had recorded Provisional (B-cut) times, but now they need to have their own individual A-cut in an event in order to participate in any other events they may have also achieved a B-cut time as well.
Once one relay has achieved a Qualifying time, and an individual swimmer has also been selected to swim in an individual event, the team can then swim any of their relays that have achieved the Provisional time.
This rule change is seen to be a positive change for the NCAA Championships because it will allow the best swimmers to populate the individual events, since provisional spots will not be awarded to relay-only swimmers who in the past would have filled an event and prevented the inclusion of swimmers that had faster provisional times.
- M. Golf. Men's Golf Finishes 10th at the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate
- Football. Irish Face Ancient Rival Hoping to Improve to 6-1
- W. Lacrosse. Four Captains Named For 2016
- Fencing. Irish Kick Off Season At North American Cup
- Football. Football Media Conference
- Baseball. Baseball Heading To Dominican Republic For Fall Break
- M. Ice Hockey. NBC Sports Group and Notre Dame Drop the Puck on Third Season of Notre Dame Hockey on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra
- M. Golf. Men's Golf in Eighth After Two Rounds at the Crooked Stick Intercollegiate
- M. Basketball. Men’s Basketball Single Game Tickets On Sale Beginning Thursday Evening
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Media Day Quotes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Want to help us defend our home turf vs USC? Thanks to @Vyskcomm you can win 2 tix! Enter: woobox.com/3oq4bt http://t.co/aQUgt7ptA0 14 minutes ago
- 🍁 New season, new swag. Check out our UA gear at shop.und.com http://t.co/HRl9FY2SPS 41 minutes ago
- 🍀 The Irish are 5-1 🎤 Hear Coach Kelly talk about Saturday's game vs. USC WATCH: watchnd.tv/#!/shows/Brian… http://t.co/WcVNwMdsVE 5 hours ago
- 💥You want it, we've got it💥 Trick Shot Monday, SOUTHERN CAL week. LET'S. DO. THIS. @NDFootball #TrickShotMonday amp.twimg.com/v/1405ca11-f82… 20 hours ago
- 🏈41 points later & we're 5-1 Recap Saturday's win vs. Navy with Inside @NDFootball WATCH: UND.com/bktvshow amp.twimg.com/v/42fdd297-0b4… 23 hours ago