Feb 28, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
The Notre Dame men and women’s swimming and diving programs both had historic nights at the BIG EAST Championships yesterday. The men had the best night in program history, while Jenny Chiang accomplished something that no Irish or BIG EAST diver ever has.
The women showed up in full force last night and took down rival Louisville in both relays. Both the 800 free relay and the 200 medley relay set new school records as Irish closed out day 1 of the meet in first place. The highlight of the evening though was Jenny Chiang, who became the first BIG EAST diver to ever win the same diving event all four years at the BIG EAST Championships. The feat has only been done once on the swimming side of the sport for Notre Dame when backstroker Kelly Hecking won the 100 backstroke in all four of her years at Notre Dame.
The men accomplished one of their goals for the season on Wednesday night, but didn’t stop there. The Irish will be sending a relay to the NCAA Championships for the first time in program history. The 800 free relay made history last night with their NCAA A-cut time, guaranteeing that the they will swim in the national championships. But the Irish were not done for the evening when the 200 medley relay was victorious in another NCAA A-cut time, making them the second Irish relay to participate in the NCAA Championships.
All in all, it was a big night for the Irish swimming and diving programs. Four records fell and the Irish won four of the six events. Both teams are in first place after day one of the competition and look to hold on to that lead heading into day two.
Here is a rundown of today’s events:
#7 – Women’s 1-meter
#8 – Women’s 500 Free
#9 – Men’s 500 Free
#10 – Women’s 200 IM
#11 – Men’s 200 IM
#12 – Women’s 50 Free
#13 – Men’s 50 Free
#14 – Women’s 200 Free Relay
#15 – Men’s 200 Free Relay
- W. Rowing. Irish Earn Final Berths At The NCAA Championship
- Track & Field. Richartz Secures Spot at NCAA Championships
- W. Rowing. Rowing Wraps Up Day One At NCAA Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Long Island Sound Draft Two Irish Alumnae
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Season Finale
- Track & Field. Irish Punch Ticket To Eugene
- Football. Football & The Force Charity Softball Game
- M. Tennis. Hagar Falls In NCAA Championship Second Round
- Track & Field. Harris Receives Academic All-District Honors
- W. Rowing. Rowing Ready For NCAA Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @FightingIrish: Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she scored… 1 hour ago
- Shoot for the Sky! @DallasWings Skylar Diggins-Smith holds @ndwbb career points record (2,357) On Thursday she sc… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 5 hours ago
- ND Headed to NCAA Championships! @NDXCTF qualifies for NCAA Track & Field Championships for the 26th straight year. und.com/sports/c-track… 10 hours ago
- 🚨 STANLEY CUP WATCH Thurs. @NDHockey & @Penguins defending Stanley Cup champs Bryan Rust & Ian Cole advanced to fi… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ☘ Ready. Set. Row! Friday, @NDRowing returns to NCAA Championships for the 9th time in program history. INFO:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago