Feb 28, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
The Notre Dame men and women’s swimming and diving programs both had historic nights at the BIG EAST Championships yesterday. The men had the best night in program history, while Jenny Chiang accomplished something that no Irish or BIG EAST diver ever has.
The women showed up in full force last night and took down rival Louisville in both relays. Both the 800 free relay and the 200 medley relay set new school records as Irish closed out day 1 of the meet in first place. The highlight of the evening though was Jenny Chiang, who became the first BIG EAST diver to ever win the same diving event all four years at the BIG EAST Championships. The feat has only been done once on the swimming side of the sport for Notre Dame when backstroker Kelly Hecking won the 100 backstroke in all four of her years at Notre Dame.
The men accomplished one of their goals for the season on Wednesday night, but didn’t stop there. The Irish will be sending a relay to the NCAA Championships for the first time in program history. The 800 free relay made history last night with their NCAA A-cut time, guaranteeing that the they will swim in the national championships. But the Irish were not done for the evening when the 200 medley relay was victorious in another NCAA A-cut time, making them the second Irish relay to participate in the NCAA Championships.
All in all, it was a big night for the Irish swimming and diving programs. Four records fell and the Irish won four of the six events. Both teams are in first place after day one of the competition and look to hold on to that lead heading into day two.
Here is a rundown of today’s events:
#7 – Women’s 1-meter
#8 – Women’s 500 Free
#9 – Men’s 500 Free
#10 – Women’s 200 IM
#11 – Men’s 200 IM
#12 – Women’s 50 Free
#13 – Men’s 50 Free
#14 – Women’s 200 Free Relay
#15 – Men’s 200 Free Relay
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
- M. Tennis. Irish Pair Earn All-ACC Academic Recognition
- W. Tennis. Broda, Robinson Named To All-ACC Academic Squad
- M. Ice Hockey. Leivermann And Hellickson Selected In The 2017 NHL Draft
- Track & Field. Harris Named Academic All-American
- Swimming & Diving. Smart Swimmers' Success Saluted
- Track & Field. Irish Compete at USA Track & Field Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #5 - @NDBaseball’s Trey Mancini homers in his MLB debut for the @Orioles. ⁰READ… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 14 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Moments #5 - @ndwbb coach Muffet McGraw named to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 16 hours ago
- 🇺🇸FOR THE RED, WHITE & BLUE TWO @NDMenSoccer alums to play for US Men's National Team in 2017 Gold Cup. 👀@ussoccer und.com/sports/m-socce… 16 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #5 - David Rivers' road to the Ring of Honor. All-American. 3x @NDmbb Captain. 1s… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 20 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #5 - At No. 2 overall, Sergio Perkovic became @NDlacrosse's highest ever Major Leagu… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago