Feb 28, 2013, 11:11 AM EST
The Notre Dame men and women’s swimming and diving programs both had historic nights at the BIG EAST Championships yesterday. The men had the best night in program history, while Jenny Chiang accomplished something that no Irish or BIG EAST diver ever has.
The women showed up in full force last night and took down rival Louisville in both relays. Both the 800 free relay and the 200 medley relay set new school records as Irish closed out day 1 of the meet in first place. The highlight of the evening though was Jenny Chiang, who became the first BIG EAST diver to ever win the same diving event all four years at the BIG EAST Championships. The feat has only been done once on the swimming side of the sport for Notre Dame when backstroker Kelly Hecking won the 100 backstroke in all four of her years at Notre Dame.
The men accomplished one of their goals for the season on Wednesday night, but didn’t stop there. The Irish will be sending a relay to the NCAA Championships for the first time in program history. The 800 free relay made history last night with their NCAA A-cut time, guaranteeing that the they will swim in the national championships. But the Irish were not done for the evening when the 200 medley relay was victorious in another NCAA A-cut time, making them the second Irish relay to participate in the NCAA Championships.
All in all, it was a big night for the Irish swimming and diving programs. Four records fell and the Irish won four of the six events. Both teams are in first place after day one of the competition and look to hold on to that lead heading into day two.
Here is a rundown of today’s events:
#7 – Women’s 1-meter
#8 – Women’s 500 Free
#9 – Men’s 500 Free
#10 – Women’s 200 IM
#11 – Men’s 200 IM
#12 – Women’s 50 Free
#13 – Men’s 50 Free
#14 – Women’s 200 Free Relay
#15 – Men’s 200 Free Relay
- M. Golf. Irish End First Day at Prestige at PGA West
- W. Soccer. Norman ('07) Named Notre Dame Women's Soccer Head Coach
- Swimming & Diving. #19 Irish Roll Into ACCs For Conference Championship Meet
- Track & Field. Yared Nuguse Named ACC Track Performer of the Week
- Fencing. Irish Youth Perform Well At Junior Olympic Championships
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Comes Up Short Against Hurricanes, 77-74
- Baseball. Gilgenbach Garners ACC Co-Player of the Week Honors
- M. Ice Hockey. Michigan Holds On For 1-0 Victory Over Notre Dame
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep To Doubleheader Victories Over Indiana, Wright State
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Miami - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Kristina Nelson hit career highs in 3️⃣ categories as No. 5 @ndwbb downed Boston College on Sunday. Don't miss Kri… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 29 minutes ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb in the newest episode of Podward Notre Dame. The storytellers of Fighting Irish Med… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 hour ago
- 🥇 Samantha Viqueira 🥇 Stephen Ewart @NDFencing recorded top performances at the Junior Olympic National Champions… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 hours ago
- After @NDCoachNorman was introduced as the newest head coach of @NDSoccer, the well wishes poured in from around th… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 hours ago
- No. 19 @NDSwimDive is gearing up for action at the 2018 ACC Swimming and Diving Championships, starting Wednesday!… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago