Mar 1, 2013, 10:23 AM EST
Sophomore outfielder Emilee Koerner was recently named the BIG EAST Player of the Week after a stellar showing in Greenville, S.C The Tustin, Calif. native batted .786 (11-14) on the weekend and drove in nine runs in just four games. She also hit two home runs and added a triple as the Irish were 4-0 on the trip. Notre Dame returns to the diamond this weekend in Kissimmee, Fla.
I recently sat down with Emilee for the first softball edition of “Covering the Bases,” a blog series that will allow fans to get to know more about the Irish student-athletes.
What is your major?
What is your favorite class?
I actually really like management. I like it because it has a creative aspect that you don’t get in accounting or finance.
What is your best softball moment in your career?
Definitely winning the national championship with my 10 and under team when I was little.
What is your best softball moment while you have been at Notre Dame?
Personally, probably last weekend. As a team, regionals last year because we played so well as a team.
Who is your softball role model?
Caitlin Lowe. She played for Arizona and she played for our national team. I grew up right next to her.
What positions have you played? Which is your favorite?
There are a lot. I started out pitching and catching. I have also played shortstop, third, second base and outfield. Ever since I was 10, I have played outfield for the rest of my softball career. My favorite position is center field.
Do you have any pre-game rituals, batting box rituals or superstitions?
Before every game I put my left sock on and then my right sock. Everyone has her little routine getting in the box. I guess I touch my helmet and then tap the bat across the plate and get in the box.
Who has the best pre-game ritual on the team?
Everyone has a different handshake with everybody on the team. As a team we do team competitions before every game and the winning class gets to read the line-up off to the team. Individually, Jackie Bowe has the most interesting handshakes with everyone.
Other than softball, what other sports do you like to play?
I played a lot of soccer growing up, along with basketball and volleyball.
What are your hobbies outside of softball?
I’m kind of creative so I like to make bracelets out of string. I love shopping because every girl loves it. Eating. I also love different snow sports and skiing.
What is your favorite place on campus?
The lakes because they are beautiful.
Do you have a nickname?
Is there a story behind your number?
Before I was 10, I always had #13, but someone took that number when I was on the team so ever since then I was #3.
- W. Basketball. Allen, No. 5 Irish Cruise Past Boston College on Senior Night
- Baseball. Tony Gwynn Classic Takes Irish To San Diego
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Northwestern
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Honored as Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
- Baseball. Chance Of Rain Alters Tony Gwynn Classic Schedule
- W. Tennis. Irish Capitalize In 5-2 Win Over Purdue
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Have Everything To Play For At Boston University
- W. Basketball. Irish Welcome Eagles On Senior Night
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Battle Phoenix to Open Road Trip
- General News. Irish Boast Quartet Of ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Honorees
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘️PROGRAM FIRST This weekend, @NDXCTF hosts ACC Indoor Track & Field Championships for the 1st time. The team is… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 hour ago
- The Mike Brey Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/breyradioshow https://t.co/BA18vIgH8P 3 hours ago
- Thursday @ndwbb plays Boston College for a share of its 4th regular season ACC title. #TBT to ND's 81-70 win vs Du… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- 🏀 Which NBA legend does @NDmbb's Elijah Burns want to meet? Get to know Elijah on Inside ND Basketball. 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- 🏀 This week the @NDmbb assistant coaches are on the road recruiting. Practice is all Coach Brey. 👀@NDMikeBrey https://t.co/Tee1WaFZQq 1 day ago