Mar 1, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Sophomore outfielder Emilee Koerner was recently named the BIG EAST Player of the Week after a stellar showing in Greenville, S.C The Tustin, Calif. native batted .786 (11-14) on the weekend and drove in nine runs in just four games. She also hit two home runs and added a triple as the Irish were 4-0 on the trip. Notre Dame returns to the diamond this weekend in Kissimmee, Fla.
I recently sat down with Emilee for the first softball edition of “Covering the Bases,” a blog series that will allow fans to get to know more about the Irish student-athletes.
What is your major?
What is your favorite class?
I actually really like management. I like it because it has a creative aspect that you don’t get in accounting or finance.
What is your best softball moment in your career?
Definitely winning the national championship with my 10 and under team when I was little.
What is your best softball moment while you have been at Notre Dame?
Personally, probably last weekend. As a team, regionals last year because we played so well as a team.
Who is your softball role model?
Caitlin Lowe. She played for Arizona and she played for our national team. I grew up right next to her.
What positions have you played? Which is your favorite?
There are a lot. I started out pitching and catching. I have also played shortstop, third, second base and outfield. Ever since I was 10, I have played outfield for the rest of my softball career. My favorite position is center field.
Do you have any pre-game rituals, batting box rituals or superstitions?
Before every game I put my left sock on and then my right sock. Everyone has her little routine getting in the box. I guess I touch my helmet and then tap the bat across the plate and get in the box.
Who has the best pre-game ritual on the team?
Everyone has a different handshake with everybody on the team. As a team we do team competitions before every game and the winning class gets to read the line-up off to the team. Individually, Jackie Bowe has the most interesting handshakes with everyone.
Other than softball, what other sports do you like to play?
I played a lot of soccer growing up, along with basketball and volleyball.
What are your hobbies outside of softball?
I’m kind of creative so I like to make bracelets out of string. I love shopping because every girl loves it. Eating. I also love different snow sports and skiing.
What is your favorite place on campus?
The lakes because they are beautiful.
Do you have a nickname?
Is there a story behind your number?
Before I was 10, I always had #13, but someone took that number when I was on the team so ever since then I was #3.
- W. Basketball. Rivalry Renewal in Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- Track & Field. Track & Field Lands Seven on All-ACC Academic Team
- Fencing. Kiefer Named Nominee For NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Lacrosse. Perkovic Named The ACC Men's Lacrosse Scholar Athlete Of The Year
- General News. Join The Notre Dame Fan Council
- W. Lacrosse. Five Named to All-ACC Academic Team
- Softball. Koerner ('15) Turns Page On Legendary Career
- Swimming & Diving. Nineteen Swimmers Head to Nationals
- W. Golf. Albrecht Selected To All-ACC Academic Women's Golf Team
- M. Soccer. Besler, Morrow Named To U.S. Gold Cup Roster
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 GIFs #3 - 5 ND 🏀 players reached 1,000 career pts in 2016-17. B. Colson L. Allen S. Vast… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏈 Countdown to Kickoff: 66 Days Coach Ara Parseghian receives the 1966 NCAA title trophy after leading @NDFootball… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- For his perseverance after the loss of his wife, @NDmbb alum Monty Williams received the @NBA Sager Strong Award. https://t.co/l0S0Qt7ur5 6 hours ago
- ☘ YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Videos #3-Last year Bonzie Colson led @NDmbb in scoring. He attributes his success to st… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 7 hours ago
- ☘YEAR IN REVIEW: Top-10 Articles #3-@NDHockey 2nd Team All-American Anders Bjork impacts a local 3rd grade class.… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 10 hours ago