Mar 1, 2013, 10:23 AM EST
Sophomore outfielder Emilee Koerner was recently named the BIG EAST Player of the Week after a stellar showing in Greenville, S.C The Tustin, Calif. native batted .786 (11-14) on the weekend and drove in nine runs in just four games. She also hit two home runs and added a triple as the Irish were 4-0 on the trip. Notre Dame returns to the diamond this weekend in Kissimmee, Fla.
I recently sat down with Emilee for the first softball edition of “Covering the Bases,” a blog series that will allow fans to get to know more about the Irish student-athletes.
What is your major?
What is your favorite class?
I actually really like management. I like it because it has a creative aspect that you don’t get in accounting or finance.
What is your best softball moment in your career?
Definitely winning the national championship with my 10 and under team when I was little.
What is your best softball moment while you have been at Notre Dame?
Personally, probably last weekend. As a team, regionals last year because we played so well as a team.
Who is your softball role model?
Caitlin Lowe. She played for Arizona and she played for our national team. I grew up right next to her.
What positions have you played? Which is your favorite?
There are a lot. I started out pitching and catching. I have also played shortstop, third, second base and outfield. Ever since I was 10, I have played outfield for the rest of my softball career. My favorite position is center field.
Do you have any pre-game rituals, batting box rituals or superstitions?
Before every game I put my left sock on and then my right sock. Everyone has her little routine getting in the box. I guess I touch my helmet and then tap the bat across the plate and get in the box.
Who has the best pre-game ritual on the team?
Everyone has a different handshake with everybody on the team. As a team we do team competitions before every game and the winning class gets to read the line-up off to the team. Individually, Jackie Bowe has the most interesting handshakes with everyone.
Other than softball, what other sports do you like to play?
I played a lot of soccer growing up, along with basketball and volleyball.
What are your hobbies outside of softball?
I’m kind of creative so I like to make bracelets out of string. I love shopping because every girl loves it. Eating. I also love different snow sports and skiing.
What is your favorite place on campus?
The lakes because they are beautiful.
Do you have a nickname?
Is there a story behind your number?
Before I was 10, I always had #13, but someone took that number when I was on the team so ever since then I was #3.
- W. Tennis. Irish Sweep DH With 6-1 Win Over Bowling Green
- Track & Field. Harris Defends Title in Women's Mile to Close Out ACC Championships
- M. Basketball. Farrell's Heroics Give Irish Road Win At Wake Forest
- Baseball. LaManna, No. 30 Irish Walk-Off Against Purdue
- Fencing. #1 Irish Women Dominate ACC Individual Competition
- W. Lacrosse. Irish prepped to take on Elon
- M. Lacrosse. Strong Fourth Quarter Pushes No. 7 Notre Dame Past Richmond, 11-7
- W. Tennis. Irish Take ACC Match From Pitt, 4-0
- W. Basketball. No. 5 Irish Vie for Regular Season ACC Title on Sunday
- Softball. #25 Irish Close Day 2 At MNCC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 💪 fourth quarter, 💪 @NDLacrosse win! The No. 7️⃣ Irish took down Richmond behind Brendan Gleason's three goals and… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 4 hours ago
- Game-winning bucket ➡️ Matt Farrell! @NDmbb downed Wake Forest behind 20-plus point efforts from Martinas Geben, M… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- The ✌️nd game of @NDWomensLax's homestand kicks off when the Irish host Elon, Sunday at 1 p.m. ET. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-lacro… 6 hours ago
- ☘️🔥 Green jerseys, straight fire. Catch @NDHockey as they send off the senior class in their signature green jerse… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- ✅ Top-25 showdown ✅ Senior Day ✅ ACC 🏆 on the line No. 5 @ndwbb hosts No. 21 NC State as the Irish close out the r… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago