Mar 1, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
Sophomore outfielder Emilee Koerner was recently named the BIG EAST Player of the Week after a stellar showing in Greenville, S.C The Tustin, Calif. native batted .786 (11-14) on the weekend and drove in nine runs in just four games. She also hit two home runs and added a triple as the Irish were 4-0 on the trip. Notre Dame returns to the diamond this weekend in Kissimmee, Fla.
I recently sat down with Emilee for the first softball edition of “Covering the Bases,” a blog series that will allow fans to get to know more about the Irish student-athletes.
What is your major?
What is your favorite class?
I actually really like management. I like it because it has a creative aspect that you don’t get in accounting or finance.
What is your best softball moment in your career?
Definitely winning the national championship with my 10 and under team when I was little.
What is your best softball moment while you have been at Notre Dame?
Personally, probably last weekend. As a team, regionals last year because we played so well as a team.
Who is your softball role model?
Caitlin Lowe. She played for Arizona and she played for our national team. I grew up right next to her.
What positions have you played? Which is your favorite?
There are a lot. I started out pitching and catching. I have also played shortstop, third, second base and outfield. Ever since I was 10, I have played outfield for the rest of my softball career. My favorite position is center field.
Do you have any pre-game rituals, batting box rituals or superstitions?
Before every game I put my left sock on and then my right sock. Everyone has her little routine getting in the box. I guess I touch my helmet and then tap the bat across the plate and get in the box.
Who has the best pre-game ritual on the team?
Everyone has a different handshake with everybody on the team. As a team we do team competitions before every game and the winning class gets to read the line-up off to the team. Individually, Jackie Bowe has the most interesting handshakes with everyone.
Other than softball, what other sports do you like to play?
I played a lot of soccer growing up, along with basketball and volleyball.
What are your hobbies outside of softball?
I’m kind of creative so I like to make bracelets out of string. I love shopping because every girl loves it. Eating. I also love different snow sports and skiing.
What is your favorite place on campus?
The lakes because they are beautiful.
Do you have a nickname?
Is there a story behind your number?
Before I was 10, I always had #13, but someone took that number when I was on the team so ever since then I was #3.
- Football. Tranquill Named Wuerffel Trophy Nominee
- M. Basketball. Coach Brey Press Conference - October 19, 2017
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Honor Seniors, Take On #15 Duke Friday
- W. Volleyball. Sunshine State Bound: The Irish Are Set To Play FSU And Miami This Weekend
- Swimming & Diving. Swimming & Diving Welcomes Georgia Tech on Friday
- W. Basketball. Irish Selected as ACC Preseason Favorites Once Again
- Football. Notre Dame-USC Preview: The Unrivaled Rivalry
- M. Lacrosse. NYC Networking Trip Up Next On Notre Dame Lacrosse Fall Experience
- M. Tennis. Irish Set To Compete At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- W. Basketball. Trio to Represent Irish at ACC Media Day
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 📍 Florida @NDSoccer challenges two ACC foes in Florida on Thursday and Sunday. #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-socce… 49 minutes ago
- 📸 @NDvolleyball 📸 @NDHockey 📸 @NDSoccer All three made this week's 5 Favorite Photos. Which was yours? #GoIrish und.com/sports/w-volle… 3 hours ago
- While you’re @NotreDame for @NDFootball vs. USC, we’ve got your weekend ✅ list. Here are the first 4️⃣ things to c… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 5 hours ago
- Student-athletes are preparing for their careers with @NDlacrosse’s NYC networking trip on Thursday. #GoIrish und.com/sports/m-lacro… 6 hours ago
- At @NotreDame, even professors teach a love for @NDFootball. Saturday is almost here. #GoIrish #BeatTrojans https://t.co/qQMqw0SdNs 7 hours ago