Mar 1, 2013, 11:58 AM EDT
March has begun and that means one thing for the Irish rowing team – races! The team has been hard at work all winter and soon we will all be able to see the results of their labor as they prepare to compete on Mar. 16. To prepare everyone to cheer on our rowers, I’ve interviewed several of the student-athletes, in order to help you get to know the ladies on a more personal level.
Without further ado, meet Rose Doerfler. Rose is a sophomore from Pittsburgh, Pa. who lives a few doors down from me in Cavanaugh Hall. I recently got the chance to sit down and talk with Rose about everything from rowing to school in general.
Have you always been a rower? Or did you do other sports as well?
I started rowing freshman year of high school. Before that I ran cross country and was on swim teams. Most people don’t get into rowing until later on because it’s not a very well-known sport and a lot of schools don’t offer it before high school.
What type of boat do you race in?
Here I race in an 8+ boat, so there are eight rowers and a coxswain in the boat, but sometimes we will practice in a 4+ boat or in pairs.
Are the same people in your boat every time?
Last year, my boat was set for the whole year, but right now we are still in winter training so the lineups aren’t set yet. We are still rotating things around and figuring out who works best together.
How long are the races?
How long (time-wise) does it normally take you?
Depending on wind and water conditions, it usually takes less than seven minutes to race 2,000 meters on the water.
What made you decide to come to Notre Dame?
Lots of things! The team was so nice when I came on my visit. Also, my parents went here and were very supportive of me choosing Notre Dame. And you can’t beat the academics here either!
How do you like living in Cavanaugh Hall?
I like Cavanaugh. It’s a good place to live.
Do you participate in any dorm activities?
I mean sometimes I go to the dorm dances. They can be pretty fun, especially if there’s food!
Besides dorm activities and rowing, what else do you do for fun?
Which dinning hall do you prefer?
Because it has pasta stir fry and make your own omelets!
Any spring break plans?
Every spring break our team goes to Oak Ridge, Tenn. for training and two days of races.
That sounds pretty cool. Is it a offical race?
Yes the races are official. Basically it’s a big park where all the schools from cold weather areas go to train over spring break. So we will spend the week practicing and then we get the chance to race each other the last few days. We see a lot of fast competition there.
- Football. Single-Game Irish Football Tickets Available
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Skaters Participate In NHL Development Camps
- Swimming & Diving. Litzinger To Coach In Inaugural ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Soccer. Flores Signs Two-Year Deal with Valencia CF
- Fencing. Kvaratskhelia Named USFCA Coach of the Year
- M. Soccer. Irish Men's Soccer Holding School Supply Drive
- Track & Field. Sunday Brunch: Hoosier Hoops Helped Prepare Sparks for Head Coaching Role
- Track & Field. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- Cross Country. Sparks Promoted to Irish Head Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- General News. Notre Dame Lands 434 Student-Athletes on ACC Honor Roll
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The confetti fell 🎉, the national championship trophy's home 🏆, but we need your help one more time. Help @ndwbb b… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 hour ago
- Step on set with the Irish! 📸 🎥 @NDVolleyball sophomore libero Madison Cruzado is taking you behind-the-scenes of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 hours ago
- ☘️ 👉 🇮🇪 @NDLacrosse alum Conor Kelly is at the @2018WorldLax Championships representing @IrelandLacrosse! #GoIrish https://t.co/bFpVyKbOv1 5 hours ago
- Whatcha got, #NDFamily? @NDLacrosse needs a 🔥 name for their mannequin to display their 🔥 swag! 🗣 Comment below w… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 7 hours ago
- 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣6️⃣➡️ @NDSoccer visited France 🇫🇷 during the European ⚽️ Championships and sees Croatia 🇭🇷 2️⃣0️⃣1️⃣8️⃣➡️… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago