Mar 2, 2013, 11:39 AM EDT
Today marks the first day of the Midwest Conference Championships, the first championship held at Notre Dame since the Castellan Family Fencing Center opened last fall.
Any of you who attended meets in past seasons remember that fans watched bouts from in between individual fencing strips. It’s not like that anymore.
The refurbishment features permanent fencing strips and stands for spectators.
“The environment is a little more intense, simply because national tournaments and international tournaments, that’s how it is,” senior sabreuse Marta Stepien said. “Your strip is separated by rails and a curtain, so there’s always that separation between audience and fencer.”
But that’s not a bad thing for spectators, and not only because you are now much more likely to snag a seat.
“When the crowd is intermixed with everyone, when you’re looking around there are a ton of people, you don’t really know who is who, who’s where,” Stepien said. “But now that everyone’s up here you can really tell.”
The fencers still appreciate audience participation. If you want to make their day, Stepien suggests making a sign.
“We love it. My sophomore year, for one of our larger matches in the spring semester, a group of guys came in for one of our fencers, James Kaull, and had his name painted on their stomachs,” Stepien said. “That was awesome, just to have people at our school really support us.”
- Baseball. Notre Dame Wraps ACC Tournament Play
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In First Round of NCAA Championships
- General News. Notre Dame Among Leaders in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- M. Basketball. Irish Set To Face Oklahoma In Madison Square Garden
- Baseball. Irish Lose Lead Late, Fall to Miami
- Track & Field. Keys To The Meet: NCAA East Regionals
- Baseball. Tales From the Eck: A Blog by Collin Stoecker
- Track & Field. Alan Turner Will Not Return as Irish Cross Country/Track and Field Coach
- Baseball. Irish Land Three on All-ACC Teams
- Baseball. Tully, Irish Open ACC Tournament Play
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- It's about more than just world-class facilities -- and @NDMensGolf has the culture to match it. #GoIrish https://t.co/bBlsdZLxIk 4 hours ago
- Back to the Big Apple! 🍎🏀 @NDmbb is headed back to @TheGarden to face Oklahoma in the Jimmy V Men's Basketball Cla… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 6 hours ago
- ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ☘️ ⬆️ That's how many Irish programs earned perfect Academic Progress Rate scores… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- 🏅 Midwest Assistant Coach of the Year 🏅 Player to Watch @NDMensTennis brought home ✌️ regional Intercollegiate Ten… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- “It is an honor to be a part of @usabasketball." @NDmbb head coach @NDMikeBrey is headed to the Olympic Training C… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago