Mar 19, 2013, 3:59 PM EST
As Christianne Harder wrote previously, we’re thrilled to be launch a Fighting Irish Athletics Spotify account this week. For those of you not familiar with the free music streaming service, I’ve got news for you: You’re missing out. Big time.
It’s incredibly easy to use, you can find just about any song you would ever want to hear, and like I said, free.
In between working with amazing teams, coaches and student-athletes, we talk a lot of sports and music in the Fighting Irish Digital Media offices, which is awesome, because those are two of my greatest passions.
Also high atop my list of interests is writing, obviously. So when Christianne asked me to create my own Spotify playlist, I thought it would be fun to not only choose a few tunes, but to also provide a little context on each of them.
So without further ado, here are ten tracks from @NDSportsBlogger for March 2013…
“Ten Thousand Hours” by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
Many know the independent Seattle rapper for his hit song about buying used clothing, but believe it or not, “Thrift Shop” was actually the fifth single off The Heist. Somewhat inspired by the “10,000-Hour Rule” discussed in Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers, I’m fairly confident I could start every morning with this song and it would never get old.
“Below My Feet” by Mumford & Sons
“Little Lion Man,” “The Cave,” “I Will Wait”… Mumford & Sons have had a string of big hits during the past couple years. Following the success of Sigh No More, there was no sophomore slump for the British folk rock band, as Babel won Album of the Year at the Grammy Awards in February. Here’s one of the band’s great tracks you’ve probably never heard.
“Gold on The Ceiling” by The Black Keys
Just take a look at the title. Written by the pride of Akron, Ohio (oh wait, that’s Notre Dame assistant media relations director Michael Bertsch), this song is an appropriate selection for a university whose Main Building is affectionately referred to as the Golden Dome. March Madness also kicks off this week, and I recently learned that The Black Keys’ song was featured during promotion for last year’s NCAA tournament. Shout-out to Ally Stanton for introducing me to this rockin’ jam.
“Rooftop” by Dave Matthews Band
While the Fighting Irish are one of the most popular teams in America, they are also atop the list of programs that people just love to hate. You could say the same thing about the Dave Matthews Band. See a live show, and I can promise you that opinion would change, but anyway, DMB’s music was used prominently during this past season’s college football coverage on ABC, a network that broadcast four of the Irish’s games.
“45” by The Gaslight Anthem
It’s not driving-with-the-windows-down weather yet, but these New Jersey rockers will have you ready to cruise the highway. Hey, spring’s just around the corner, right? Oh, high of 23° tomorrow? Awesome. Gracias to my good friend and FIDM assistant producer extraordinaire Ryan Camden for passing this one along.
“Ho Hey” by The Lumineers
The breakout hit for the Denver band was featured in the Silver Linings Playbook trailer as well as a Blue Moon commercial (which I hadn’t seen until three days ago, but that apparently came out last May). Anyway, this song has been stuck in my head for months.
“Jump Right In” by Zac Brown Band
Everyone knows “Chicken Fried,” and “Knee Deep,” the care-free duet with the ultimate beach bum Jimmy Buffett, but the ZBB has a number of other feel-good jams as you await the return of summer. The band’s country vibe might be a turnoff for some, but like the DMB, this other frontman-named crew can put on one heck of a live show.
“Mountain Sound” by Of Monsters and Men
If you’ve listened to the radio at all recently, I have no doubt you’ve heard “Little Talks,” this Icelandic folk-pop band’s mega-hit. With both a male and female singer sharing lead vocals, the group has a unique sound, and the entire debut album (My Head Is An Animal) is worth a listen. I actually bought it on Amazon’s MP3 store for $0.99 a while back (Yes, the whole album. No, price and quality are not related.). Thanks to the boss-man Tim O’Connor (aka Oak) for suggesting I check out this band.
“Constellations” by Jack Johnson, Eddie Vedder and Kawika Kahiapo
The closing track off of surfer-songwriter Jack Johnson’s 2005 album In Between Dreams, Pearl Jam lead singer Eddie Vedder and Hawaiian guitarist Kawika Kahiapo take this live collaboration to a whole new level. It won’t get you hyped to hit the weight room, but it’s a nice little tune that will have you feeling like you’re on the beach staring at the stars.
“Diamonds on the Inside” by Ben Harper
As you can probably tell by now, I’m kind of a fan of that whole folk/rock genre. From way back in 2003, I suppose this is the throwback jam of the group. I don’t really have a specific reason why, but I just love this song.
Well, that was fun.
Like great sports, great music is all about teamwork and sharing ideas. From Billy Joel and Elton John, to more recently, JT and Jay-Z, we hope the new relationship between the Fighting Irish and Spotify is just the start of another exciting musical collaboration.
Hope to keep the tunes going during the coming months. I might even see if there’s an opportunity to register @NDMusicBlogger on the Twittersphere…
- Football. McGlinchey, Nelson Named First-Team FWAA All-Americans
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Up To #3 In Both Polls
- W. Tennis. Robinson Snares First Career Professional Crown
- Cross Country. Irish Signee Dylan Jacobs Wins Foot Locker National Championship
- Track & Field. Irish Signee Dylan Jacobs Wins Foot Locker National Championship
- Football. McGlinchey, Nelson Named First-Team AP All-Americans
- M. Golf. Alum Mark Baldwin Excels at Web.com Tour Qualifying
- M. Basketball. Replay: No Ho-Hum Homecoming for Brey
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Remain Perfect In B1G Play With 6-2 Win Over #12 Wisconsin
- M. Basketball. Offensive Onslaught Propels Irish To 92-68 Win At Delaware
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 6️⃣ first-quarter scorers gave @ndwbb a lead they wouldn't relinquish in a win on the road at Penn on Saturday.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- Go behind-the-scenes of @NDmbb's win at Delaware in the latest episode of Irish Access Extra! #GoIrish https://t.co/L3egE1azLU 8 hours ago
- After sweeping No. 1️⃣2️⃣ Wisconsin, No. 3️⃣ @NDHockey is the only team in the country without a loss on the road.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- For @NDFencing's senior captains Jonah Shainberg and Hazem Khazbak, faith is what builds championship-level bonds.… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- Matt Farrell's game-high 24 points led @NDmbb to victory in @NDMikeBrey's return to Delaware, the site of his first… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago