Mar 22, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
The team played a little indoor soccer as the players waited for Michigan to get off the ice, using the scattered furniture left over from last night’s Rhianna concert as goals.
“It’s a team tradition,” Father Tom, the team chaplain, said, “they like to kick around to unwind.”
As the Michigan players started heading towards the locker room, the guys made their last few shots on goal. The first practice at the Joe Louis Arena, home of the Detroit Red Wings, was about to start.
Tomorrow at 1:05 pm, the Irish will be playing Ohio State in the semifinals of the CCHA Tournament. If they win, a trip to the NCAA Tournament will be even closer. But for now, the Buckeyes are priority number one.
But there are other reasons to arrive early. Several of the team’s members have been nominated for CCHA Awards, most notably, Anders Lee (Player of the Year, Best Defensive Forward). After practice the team will head back to the hotel to change for Mass, dinner, and then the awards show, an event that describes itself as “an Academy Awards-style event with music videos and highlights…held at the historic Fox Theatre in downtown Detroit.” A little fun before the games begin.
Follow us on Twitter at @ND_Hockey, and tune in tomorrow for our CCHA Awards recap.
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes - Notre Dame vs. Stanford
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish On To Elite Eight, Beat #14/17 Stanford, 81-60
- M. Swimming. Irish Break Another School Record on Day Two of NCAA Championships
- Track. Two Relays Through To Finals After Day 3 At Texas Relays
- W. Rowing. #14 Irish In Columbus For First Big Ten/ACC Double Dual
- W. Golf. Irish Sit In Seventh At Loaded LSU Tiger Golf Classic After Day One
- W. Tennis. No. 36 Irish Upend Wolfpack 6-1
- W. Basketball. Sweet 16 Preview: (1) Notre Dame vs. (4) Stanford
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame's Turner is Exceeding Expectations Offensively
- M. Basketball. Berth In Final Four For Irish Against Top-Ranked Kentucky
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ...and lest we forget: tonight makes not one but two Irish basketball squads on to their respective Elite Eights. #NotDoneYet 5 hours ago
- Final in OKC. The Irish down Stanford and advance to the Elite Eight to face Baylor Sunday at 8:30 PM on ESPN. http://t.co/IyJZKPr3nj 5 hours ago
- Accounts you should be following right now: @ndwbb and @NDsidMasters as the Irish look to punch their ticket to the Elite Eight. 6 hours ago
- Lindsay Allen has a career high 24 points..in the first half. @ndwbb now lead Stanford 44-34 as the second half is underway on ESPN. 6 hours ago
- The road continues in OKC. Go Irish. Beat Cardinal. ESPN. Now. http://t.co/JsuGq6qgbr 7 hours ago