Mar 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
Sophomore Emma Reaney led the Irish on an extremely productive first day at the 2013 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Reaney finished in ninth place in the 200 IM, garnering her fourth Honorable Mention All-America accolade. She did not wait long to pick up her fifth as she helped the Irish’s 400 medley relay squad finish 13th overall later in the evening. Reaney was joined by teammates Kelly Ryan, Kim Holden and Catherine Galletti as the Irish set a new school record with their performance of 3:34.66. That same relay squad has now broken the school record three times this season and the swimmers can say that they are All-Americans!
The Notre Dame program tallied 17 points over the course of the evening, which is good for 16th place overall out of the 34 teams that have scored points. That point total is already the eighth highest point total in program history. The Irish are poised to potentially move even higher up that list as the Irish will be competing in six events today – 200 medley relay, 100 breast (Emma Reaney), 100 back (Kim Holden, Kelly Ryan), 100 fly (Kim Holden), and 3-meter diving (Jenny Chiang).
The Irish saw a number of major milestones on Day 1. Not only did the 400 medley relay squad break the school record, but they also recorded the best finish by an Irish relay since 2007 when the 800 free relay also finished 13th overall. Moreover, the performance last night was the best finish in the 400 medley relay for Notre Dame since 2002. Finally, Emma Reaney’s two Honorable Mention All-America honors last night increased her total to five overall, which puts her in a tie for sixth place in the all-time list of most All-America accolades in program history. Reaney has the potential to gain another two All-America scrolls today as she competes in the 100 breast and 200 medley relay.
- M. Basketball. Irish Suffer First Conference Defeat at No. 10 Florida State
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Aims to Bounce Back at Boston College
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Partners With Bread Of Life/Lou's Lads Food Drive
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros: Recapping The 2016 Season
- W. Tennis. Season In Preview: Irish Veterans And Rookies Poised To Make Impact
- W. Basketball. Irish Recruit Patterson Named McDonald's All-American
- M. Tennis. Season Outlook: Irish Look For Perfect Combination Of Youth And Experience
- M. Basketball. SI Now - Why Is Notre Dame Underappreciated?
- General News. Torain Joins Athletics Department As Associate Athletics Director
- W. Basketball. Irish Fall in Final Minute at Tennessee
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- A 4th grade class from California wished to see their dream college. Wish granted! See their trip to @NotreDame. https://t.co/nR7lK5ONvG 11 hours ago
- FIGHTING IRISH vs. SEMINOLES @accmbb Showdown. @NDmbb: #1 in the ACC Florida State: #3 in the ACC ⏰7pm 💻… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 13 hours ago
- Commit to @NDFootball✔️ 1st Day of College✔️ Follow early enrollee Aaron Banks to his 1st ND class & see who he ra… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 19 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: WATCH:A group of California 4th-graders head to Notre Dame to experience firsthand the University to which they've pledged… 1 day ago
- Who is V.J. Beachem's role model? His favorite NBA player? Find out on Inside @NDmbb. 📺 UND.com/breytvshow https://t.co/4mzC9yW6Uo 1 day ago