Mar 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
Sophomore Emma Reaney led the Irish on an extremely productive first day at the 2013 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Reaney finished in ninth place in the 200 IM, garnering her fourth Honorable Mention All-America accolade. She did not wait long to pick up her fifth as she helped the Irish’s 400 medley relay squad finish 13th overall later in the evening. Reaney was joined by teammates Kelly Ryan, Kim Holden and Catherine Galletti as the Irish set a new school record with their performance of 3:34.66. That same relay squad has now broken the school record three times this season and the swimmers can say that they are All-Americans!
The Notre Dame program tallied 17 points over the course of the evening, which is good for 16th place overall out of the 34 teams that have scored points. That point total is already the eighth highest point total in program history. The Irish are poised to potentially move even higher up that list as the Irish will be competing in six events today – 200 medley relay, 100 breast (Emma Reaney), 100 back (Kim Holden, Kelly Ryan), 100 fly (Kim Holden), and 3-meter diving (Jenny Chiang).
The Irish saw a number of major milestones on Day 1. Not only did the 400 medley relay squad break the school record, but they also recorded the best finish by an Irish relay since 2007 when the 800 free relay also finished 13th overall. Moreover, the performance last night was the best finish in the 400 medley relay for Notre Dame since 2002. Finally, Emma Reaney’s two Honorable Mention All-America honors last night increased her total to five overall, which puts her in a tie for sixth place in the all-time list of most All-America accolades in program history. Reaney has the potential to gain another two All-America scrolls today as she competes in the 100 breast and 200 medley relay.
- W. Basketball. Loyd Takes WNBAâ€™s Top Rookie Prize in July
- W. Soccer. Irish Among Early Top 10
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club To Host Riehle Open On The Road At Stanford
- W. Lacrosse. Ortega Named All-World; Team USA Claims Silver
- W. Lacrosse. Incoming Freshmen Play for World Championship on Sat.
- W. Swimming. Irish Stars Thrive On International Swimming Stage
- W. Golf. Cool, Confident Hamilton Matures in Wyndham Cup Debut
- W. Volleyball. How To Watch Irish Volleyball Matches In 2015
- W. Soccer. Irish, ACC Release Expanded Broadcast Schedule
- M. Golf. Irish Earn A 2015 GCAA Team Academic Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- An @MLB All-Star, making a Gold Glove caliber catch for the @Dbacks. Keep doing you, AJ Pollock (fmr @NDBaseball OF) http://t.co/9XYb91UjdK 2 hours ago
- ⚾️@MLB managers & ND staples Pat Murphy & Craig Counsell face off tonight in Game 2 @NDFIM chatted with them pregame http://t.co/bbyTTJ68hg 5 hours ago
- THEY CAN'T HOLD YOU. THEY CAN'T STOP YOU. Welcome to the @UAFootball #ARMOURGRID Era. @NDFootball's 2015 Look: http://t.co/g6tLMjDJsW 1 day ago
- #BACK2BACK 🏀@NDwbb student-athlete named @WNBA Rookie of the Month For 2nd-straight month. June:Achonwa July:Loyd http://t.co/tB6CwWmT58 1 day ago
- 3 of the top 5 come from @theACC as @NDMenSoccer checks in at #4. Do you have your tix? BUY: UND.com/BuyTickets http://t.co/25gFuR9VwX 1 day ago