Mar 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
Sophomore Emma Reaney led the Irish on an extremely productive first day at the 2013 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Reaney finished in ninth place in the 200 IM, garnering her fourth Honorable Mention All-America accolade. She did not wait long to pick up her fifth as she helped the Irish’s 400 medley relay squad finish 13th overall later in the evening. Reaney was joined by teammates Kelly Ryan, Kim Holden and Catherine Galletti as the Irish set a new school record with their performance of 3:34.66. That same relay squad has now broken the school record three times this season and the swimmers can say that they are All-Americans!
The Notre Dame program tallied 17 points over the course of the evening, which is good for 16th place overall out of the 34 teams that have scored points. That point total is already the eighth highest point total in program history. The Irish are poised to potentially move even higher up that list as the Irish will be competing in six events today – 200 medley relay, 100 breast (Emma Reaney), 100 back (Kim Holden, Kelly Ryan), 100 fly (Kim Holden), and 3-meter diving (Jenny Chiang).
The Irish saw a number of major milestones on Day 1. Not only did the 400 medley relay squad break the school record, but they also recorded the best finish by an Irish relay since 2007 when the 800 free relay also finished 13th overall. Moreover, the performance last night was the best finish in the 400 medley relay for Notre Dame since 2002. Finally, Emma Reaney’s two Honorable Mention All-America honors last night increased her total to five overall, which puts her in a tie for sixth place in the all-time list of most All-America accolades in program history. Reaney has the potential to gain another two All-America scrolls today as she competes in the 100 breast and 200 medley relay.
- Football. Todd Lyght Introductory Quotes
- Football. Keith Gilmore Introductory Quotes
- Football. Autry Denson Introductory Quotes
- Football. Mike Sanford Introductory Quotes
- Football. Brian Kelly Press Conference Transcript
- Football. Irish Extra: Sanford Brings Both Experience and Memories to Irish Sideline
- Football. Irish Extra: Lyght Provides Valuable Link to Irish Past
- Football. Irish Extra: Denson Comes Home to Notre Dame
- Football. Irish Extra: It's Like Old Times Again for Keith Gilmore
- Football. Notre Dame Announces 2015 Football Staff Changes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- What's the answer to spring cleaning? Up to 50% off- ntrda.me/18GmM90 #GetYours http://t.co/sdf8AhVbX3 10 hours ago
- ICYMI Father Ted Hesburgh Influenced Collegiate Athletics Fit on Campuses Nationwide~ ntrda.me/1N8xy7J #ThankYouFrTed 11 hours ago
- .@NDBaseball and @NDSoftball are so close to playing at home this season. Get your @NDTix- ntrda.me/NDsbSeasonPass http://t.co/UVEF8Tan9w 12 hours ago
- RT @NDHockey: I voted for @NDHockey's @CalPetersen40 as @Tire_Rack Student Athlete of the Week! und.com/saotw #PetersenSAotW 13 hours ago
- RT @ndwbb: I voted for @NDwbb's @jloyd32 as @Tire_Rack Student Athlete of the Week! und.com/saotw #LoydSAotW 13 hours ago