Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- Football. Pride and Resiliency Fueled 1970 Notre Dame Football Team
- Football. Jack Chevigny: Gridiron Star and Battlefield Hero
- Monogram Club. Catching Up With The Monogram Club
- Cross Country. Keys to the Race: Crusader Open
- W. Volleyball. Jim McLaughlin: New Irish Volleyball Boss Is All About the Numbers
- M. Soccer. Keys To The Game: South Florida
- W. Soccer. What To Watch For: Western Michigan
- Monogram Club. Deceased Members Of The Irish Football Family To Be Honored Saturday
- Football. New NCAA Ruling Shortens Football Pre-Game Festivities
- M. Tennis. Irish Tennis Legend Jimmy Evert Dies At 91
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Did @NDSportsBlogger Laura Thomas get promoted to Sports Center? Find out in Saturday's broadcast before the game! http://t.co/3axWIMPcMC 22 minutes ago
- SACK = SNACK For every sack @NDFootball makes this weekend, you could win a @Medifast prize pack. #sacksforsnacks twitter.com/medifast/statu… 1 hour ago
- 📚 WAKE UP THE... MIND. SPIRIT. ECHOES. See a sneak peak of the new @NotreDame ad before it airs Saturday on NBC. http://t.co/9a7NHkLRtc 1 hour ago
- 🍀 Already recruiting for the class of 2033. #GameFace (HT @PDXIrish) http://t.co/j6Qh6VV4O6 3 hours ago
- 🏈 ESPN is at Notre Dame for SportsCenter on the Road. It just got real. ND vs UT 7:30pm - NBC http://t.co/afCtOGlPle 4 hours ago