Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- Baseball. Irish Extra: NCAA Bid Means a Little Extra to Kutsulis
- Track. Irish Strong On First Day At NCAA East Preliminary
- Baseball. Irish In Champaign For First NCAA Regional In Nine Years
- W. Rowing. Kottkamp Repeats As NCAA Elite 89 Award Winner
- W. Rowing. #16 Irish Out West For NCAA Rowing Championship
- Baseball. Irish Extra: Cristian Torres Is More Than Meets The Eye
- Softball. Koerner Earns Irish Record Third All-America Honor
- General News. Notre Dame Athletics Leads the Way in NCAA APR Four-Year Numbers
- Track. Irish Geared For NCAA East Preliminary Championship
- W. Basketball. Irish Host Ohio State In Big Ten/ACC Women's Basketball Challenge
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- #RowIrish 🚣@NotreDameRowing continues its NCAA Title push this afternoon in California. 👀📺: NCAA.com/LiveSchedule http://t.co/3ZAb4YTZ4g 39 minutes ago
- The Emoji's to explain @NDBaseball's 13-7 NCAA Tournament win over Wright State: 🏠🏃(x4) And how can we forget... 💯 http://t.co/NAIrL2rqxr 1 hour ago
- ⚾️The Run To The Series Begins. @NDBaseball begins NCAA Tourney play right now on ESPN3. 📺📱💻: espn.go.com/watchespn/play… http://t.co/kz4aW8xBh5 5 hours ago
- 🏆 Time? Will Barbara Sullivan or Matt Kavanagh bring home Lacrosse's highest honor, The Tewaaraton Award, tonight? http://t.co/hKaFC44Jdj 1 day ago
- Notre Dame is truly an International University. Our Student-Athletes travel the globe to spread our 5 pillars. http://t.co/dFR3VIJREn 1 day ago