Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- M. Basketball. A Big Awards Day For Jerian Grant
- Baseball. Irish Welcome Eastern Michigan To The Eck For Tuesday Showdown
- Softball. Three-Peat For Nasland As ACC Pitcher Of The Week
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Back To #1
- W. Basketball. McGraw Appreciates Notre Dame's Run More Than Ever
- Football. Blue-Gold Game Saturday, April 18 At 12:30 P.M. ET On NBCSN
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Women Savor Fifth Straight NCAA Final Four Opportunity
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 77, #5/6 Baylor 69 (NCAA Championship - Oklahoma City Regional Final)
- W. Basketball. Baylor vs. Notre Dame Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Headed To Fifth Straight Final Four After Downing #5/6 Baylor, 77-68
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Softball's Rachel Nasland is ACC Pitcher of the week for the 3rd straight week! Two wins this weekend vs. Va. Tech. http://t.co/QkFAY1cePF 7 hours ago
- WBB Final Four shirt in our Shop (and yes: we'll add the other two teams before shipping) shop.und.com/Notre_Dame_Fig… http://t.co/FkrMYv3CCx 11 hours ago
- 🏈 NDFB Spring Game will air on NBCSN on Sat. April 18 at 12:30 PM. #GoGold #BeatBlue. (We don't say "Go Blue" here) http://t.co/9GLhBpu8Yu 12 hours ago
- RT @WatchND: We will have much more coverage from @ndwbb's victory over Baylor over next 24 hours. 17 hours ago
- RT @WatchND: Video: Highlights of @ndwbb victory over Baylor to advance to their FIFTH straight Final Four Watch: watchnd.tv/#!/videos/k4aj… 17 hours ago