Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- M. Tennis. Irish Etch Sixth Sweep In 7-0 Victory Over Hoosiers
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Alamo Irish Classic Finale
- W. Tennis. Irish Win Third Straight With 5-2 Victory Over Louisville
- M. Lacrosse. Sunday Brunch: Irish Check Opening Day Boxes
- Softball. #11/10 Michigan Defeats Irish 9-2
- M. Ice Hockey. Resilient Irish Play Providence To 3-3 Tie
- Baseball. Solomon Strikes Out Nine In Victory
- W. Basketball. Crucial ACC Test Sunday at #21 Syracuse
- Football. Onward Notre Dame: Corey Robinson Premiers Saturday Night On NBCSN
- M. Lacrosse. Garnsey's Career Day Leads Irish to Victory Over Hoyas
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.