Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- Cheerleading. Notre Dame Leprechaun Tryout Information
- Swimming & Diving. Where The Irish Stand At The Break
- M. Tennis. Kempin, Lebedev Named Irish Men's Tennis Captains
- Football. Quenton Nelson Named First-Team Sporting News All-American
- Fencing. Irish Fencers Excel At December NAC
- M. Ice Hockey. Burke Named Big Ten’s Third Star
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Bestows Honorary Monograms On O'Neill And Thesing
- Football. McGlinchey, Nelson Named First-Team FWAA All-Americans
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Up To #3 In Both Polls
- W. Tennis. Robinson Snares First Career Professional Crown
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Did you miss Monday's @MuffetMcGraw Radio Show presented by @Tire_Rack? Catch up now, @ndwbb fans! 🔗… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 hours ago
- ✅ First-Team FWAA All-Americans McGlinchey and Nelson are the FIRST pair of @NDFootball offensive linemen to garne… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 8 hours ago
- When @ShannonBoxx7 started her @NDSoccer career, her journey began to empower women in soccer. #GoIrish https://t.co/YiD5V8izAu 9 hours ago
- Former @NDWomensTennis captain Monica Robinson earned her first career pro title by winning the ITF Digicall Future… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 hours ago
- FOUR members of @NDXCTF's Class of 2022 earned top-12 finishes at the high school cross country national championsh… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 11 hours ago