Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Demon Deacons, 4-2, In Saturday Matchup
- Track. Irish Wrap Weekend In Iowa, Michigan
- M. Golf. Irish In 11th After 36 At The ACC Championship
- W. Rowing. #RV Irish Finish Third At Dale England Cup
- Softball. Saturday Notre Dame Softball Games Canceled
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Men's Lacrosse: Chasing a Second Straight ACC Crown in Philly
- Track. Irish Solid At Drake, GINA Relays
- Baseball. Youngdahl's Big Night Leads Baseball To 9-5 Win Over Wake Forest
- M. Soccer. Notre Dame Tops Mexico U17s, 2-1, On Aubrey Penalty Kick
- W. Rowing. #RV Irish Win Four Races On First Day Of The Dale England Cup
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- FINISHING STRONG @NDXCTF Alum Patrick Feeney ran 🏆-winning anchor leg for🇺🇸in 4x400 of the prestigious Penn Relays. http://t.co/Lj273zWtvx 5 hours ago
- There's Fast, Then There's @NDXCTF Fast. The 4x200 relay team took home the famed @DrakeRelays title on Friday. 🏆🍀🏆 http://t.co/S7D3vnHgrD 1 day ago
- WAKE Up The Echoes. ⚾️@NDBaseball takes down Wake Forest in series opener, 9-5. RF Robert Youngdahl goes 4-5 w/3 RBI http://t.co/HqAajlhQCS 1 day ago
- The journey for back-to-back ACC Titles 🏆 begins today. It's your time @NDlacrosse. #1 ND - Duke 5:30pm on ESPNU http://t.co/OAsYOp2fF4 1 day ago
- The next step starts now. The ACC Semis for @NDWomensLax is underway! WATCH (while at work): es.pn/1H7QXED http://t.co/d4SRyDKqby 2 days ago