Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Lacrosse Spring Break: Adjustments on the Fly
- Softball. Changes To Irish-Virginia Tech Softball Series Announced
- Football. Brandon Wimbush: His Chance Now
- M. Ice Hockey. Petersen Honored As A Richter Award Finalist
- W. Basketball. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Battle Buckeyes
- M. Tennis. Need To Know: Virginia Tech
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: NC State & Miami
- Softball. Irish Freshmen Rule The Field At Melissa Cook Vs. Michigan St.
- W. Soccer. Spring Opener With Purdue Moved Up To Friday
- Swimming & Diving. Strong Start for No. 19 Notre Dame Men's Swimming and Diving at NCAA Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Eyes up. Stay tough. @NDFootball is focused at every practice. https://t.co/ehgGUFJiQJ 1 hour ago
- ☘ Winning With Style! Michigan State goes down as @NDSoftball walks-off in home opener. ND 11 | MSU 3 https://t.co/vgKqj4gWpR 19 hours ago
- ☘ IRISH vs. BUCKEYES Watch #2 @NDlacrosse take on #4 Ohio State at home. Saturday | 2pm TIX:… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 21 hours ago
- 💯 Fresh Jerseys ☀️ Bright Sky ☘ It's Game Day! @NDSoftball kicks off its home opener. ND vs. MSU | 4:30pm 📺… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- ⚾️ IRISH WIN HOME OPENER @NDBaseball recorded two 5-run innings in its 12-1 win over Northern Illinois. 📽 Highlig… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago