Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- M. Basketball. Irish Equal Best Start Under Brey with Victory Over Aggies
- W. Basketball. Irish Offense Explodes In 114-54 Victory Over Crusaders
- Football. Sunday Brunch: Alongside Jim and Dan
- M. Ice Hockey. Evans Helps Lead Irish To Shutout Win At UMass
- Football. KELLY CARES FOUNDATION, MEIJER, PAPA VINO’S, NOTRE DAME FOOTBALL
- Track. Notre Dame Tallies 12 Wins In Opening Meet
- W. Basketball. Niele Ivey Joins Ring of Honor Sunday
- M. Ice Hockey. Four Goal Third Not Enough As Irish Edged At UMass 5-4
- W. Basketball. Valparaiso on Sunday Next Obstacle For #1 Irish
- M. Basketball. North Carolina A&T Preview - Five Things To Know
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏀 SCHOOL RECORD For the 1st time ever, 7 @NDmbb players score in double-figures. 📽 Coach Brey recaps our 107-53 w… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDMenSoccer Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN ⚽️ @UnderArmour Hat https://t.co/5DneoDKBod 3 hours ago
- 🔥 72 Points in the 1st Half 💪 42 Points in the 2nd Half ☘️ 6 Players in Double-Figures Coach McGraw recaps @ndwbb'… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 4 hours ago
- 🏀HOOP IT UP! We are the ONLY school UNDEFEATED in BOTH men's & women's hoops. The programs are a combined 15-0. https://t.co/of7JvYIBfy 7 hours ago
- ☘️ #ND25Days OF PRIZES: @NDMenSoccer Day RETWEET FOR A CHANCE TO WIN ⚽️ @UnderArmour Shirt https://t.co/oupxLmY1kE 8 hours ago