Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- M. Basketball. Ingelsby Accepts Delaware Head Coach Position
- W. Volleyball. Irish Volleyball Adds Klein & Truett To 2016 Roster
- W. Tennis. Irish Insights: NCAA Singles Championship
- M. Basketball. Irish To Welcome Hawkeyes In 'Challenge' Rematch
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Named National ITA Arthur Ashe Award Winner
- M. Lacrosse. Monday Brunch: Tough Ending in Columbus for Corrigan’s Crew
- Baseball. Vierling Earns ACC All-Freshman Team Honors
- Softball. #2 Michigan Ousts #23 Irish 6-2 In Ann Arbor Regional Final
- M. Lacrosse. 12th-Rated North Carolina Knocks Out Third Seed Notre Dame
- Softball. #23 Irish Return To Regional Final With Shutouts Of Valpo, Miami
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🎾 Quentin Monaghan The Arthur Ashe Award winner for great leadership & sportsmanship. INFO: und.com/sports/m-tenni… amp.twimg.com/v/fab30c75-2a5… 6 hours ago
- ND in Stanley Cup Playoffs Erik Condra (Tampa Bay) vs Ian Cole & Bryan Rust (Pitt) Eastern Conf. Final 8pm | NBCSN https://t.co/PY5EgPhWb8 10 hours ago
- 🍀 Quentin Monaghan 2x Captain 4x All-Conference And NOW, Arthur Ashe Award Recipient INFO: und.com/sports/m-tenni… amp.twimg.com/v/83ecdde4-a85… 13 hours ago
- ☘ Barbara Sullivan & Matt Landis They're 2 of the best defensive players in the nation, & 2 of the best teammates. amp.twimg.com/v/f345da50-232… 18 hours ago
- 🍀 This 86-year-old Irish fan's wish was to see a @NDFootball game. Thanks to her grandchildren, her wish came true. amp.twimg.com/v/3a8df912-1e5… 1 day ago