Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- M. Soccer. #1/2 Irish Take On Pitt In Friday Keystone State Clash
- W. Tennis. Inside Irish: Wildcat Invitational
- M. Swimming. Fighting Irish Swimming & Diving Open Up Season With Rare Outdoor Meet at Michigan State
- W. Swimming. Fighting Irish Swimming & Diving Open Up Season With Rare Outdoor Meet at Michigan State
- Fencing. Irish To Host 2017 NCAA Championships
- W. Volleyball. Irish Look to Remain Unbeaten in ACC Play Against Duke and Wake Forest
- Cross Country. Keys To The Race: Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational
- Monogram Club. Notre Dame’s Alan Page to Receive Heisman Humanitarian Award
- Football. Notre Dame’s Alan Page to Receive Heisman Humanitarian Award
- Monogram Club. Longtime Irish Boxing Tutor Loses Final Bout
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🏈 Top-5 QB Averaging 24 points per game, @NDFootball quarterback DeShone Kizer ranks 5th nationally in scoring. 👀… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 12 hours ago
- 🏈 The Brian Kelly Radio Show is LIVE, presented by the experts at Tire Rack. WATCH: UND.com/bkradioshow https://t.co/FICjpreKrs 13 hours ago
- 💪 @NDFootball putting in work. #BeatSyracuse https://t.co/MswZF8bjuT 14 hours ago
- 🏈 Raising the Bar WR C.J. Sanders leads the Irish with 127 all-purpose yards per game. 👀@TheLifeofCeej https://t.co/IpFgsaZKvz 20 hours ago
- “There’s always a part of the game you can improve.” @NDFootball's Durham Smythe discusses working toward becoming… twitter.com/i/web/status/7… 1 day ago