Mar 24, 2013, 12:28 AM EDT
Let’s get this out of the way now. Notre Dame is playing Michigan tomorrow in the last ever CCHA Championship Game. For all Notre Dame fans, this is how it should be, the Irish and the Wolverines battling it out for the Mason Cup. But before we move on to Sunday’s game, let’s review the win that got us there.
Notre Dame and Ohio State were tied through most of three periods, until T.J. Tynan’s goal at the 3:50 mark of the final period. From that moment forward it was a rush to run down the clock, the threat of OSU scoring lurking in the background. With 1:33 left, Ohio State pulled its goalie, Brady Hjelle, in favor of a sixth attacker. But it was for naught. Bryan Rust chipped the puck up the boards to Tynan, who hit Jeff Costello with a pass in the neutral zone. Costello fired the puck into the empty net to seal the win with a 3-1 final score. And with that, ND took its place in the title game, waiting for the result of the Michigan/Miami (OH) game.
This is ND Hockey’s 10th trip to the CCHA tournament, and the third time the Irish have made it to the title game. Each time they have faced Michigan in the final. And each time they have won (2007, 2009).
Let’s do it again. Go Irish. Beat Wolverines.
FIDM recap of Day 2 action
- W. Rowing. Championship Eight, Four Compete At Head Of The Charles
- W. Volleyball. Irish Stun Miami In Incredible 3-2 Comeback Victory
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Falls In ITA Midwest Regional Quarterfinal
- Football. Replay: Trojans No Match for Physical Irish
- M. Golf. Irish to Compete in Final Fall Tournament
- W. Soccer. Irish Complete Sweep Through Florida With 2-1 Win Over Miami
- Football. Irish Bring Home Shillelagh in Emphatic 49-14 Win
- M. Tennis. Lebedev Advances At ITA Midwest Regional Championships
- Football. Championship Road Runs Through South Bend
- W. Rowing. Club Four Finishes Eighth At Head Of The Charles
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.