Mar 24, 2013, 12:56 AM EDT
It was another big day for the Notre Dame women’s swimming and diving program as the Irish picked up another two All-America honors as Emma Reaney registered her sixth career All-American citation while senior Jenny Chiang collected her first ever All-America scroll. Reaney’s fifth place performance paired with Chiang’s 12th place showing earned the Irish an additional 19 points in day 2 of the NCAA Championships. Notre Dame now sits in 17th place with 36 points. Those 36 points are the third most in the history of the program, trailing only the 2000 total of 74.5 points and the 2002 total of 52 points.
Chiang capped off her four-year Notre Dame career in style as she dove to her first ever All-America honor, rebounding after a disappointing 1-meter session the day before. Chiang recorded the highest finish for an Irish diver off the 3-meter board at the NCAA Championships in over a decade. Back in 2002, Heather Mattingly finished in 8th place from the 3-meter distance.
“I don’t think I could think of a better way to end my diving career,” said Chiang, “Going in I was a little nervous because I didn’t too well last year. [My career] was a rollercoaster but overall I am very pleased with my season. Right now it is a high.”
Looking ahead to Day 3 of the meet, Emma Reaney is the highest seeded Irish swimmer as she is seeded seventh in the 200 breaststroke. Reaney has a good feeling about the race tomorrow as she hopes to add another top-8 finish to her resume.
“I didn’t take my [sprint] races out as fast as I wanted [on Friday],” said Reaney, “So, the positive side of that is my 200 should be really good as long as I keep steady and my stroke count together.”
Also highlighting Day 3 is Kelly Ryan’s attempt to make back-to-back “A” Finals in the 200 backstroke. Ryan finished seventh a season ago in the 200 backstroke with a time of 1:54.16 in the finals and 1:53.67 in the preliminary session.
The Irish will look to score 17 more points tomorrow, which would give the Irish 53 points for the meet, the most in Notre Dame women’s swimming and diving history.
- Baseball. Getting To Know Baseball's Nick Podkul
- W. Golf. Irish Bound For NCAA Birmingham Regional
- M. Basketball. V.J. Beachem To Return For The 2016-17 Season
- Softball. #19/18 Irish Split Strikeout Cancer Series With #RV Louisville
- Baseball. Irish Fall In Sunday Doubleheader To Ohio
- M. Lacrosse. Sunday Brunch: Irish Are Right There—They Need to Make One More Play
- Track. Irish Relays In Fine Form at Drake Relay Meet
- Football. Sheldon Day Drafted on Day Three of 2016 NFL Draft
- Softball. Irish Softball Schedule Against Louisville Altered
- M. Lacrosse. #13 Duke Eliminates #4 Notre Dame in ACC Men's Lacrosse Semifinal
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 🍀@NDSoftball Strikeout Cancer Weekend A series inspired by cancer survivor Tatum Gumpf Recap Game 1 vs Louisville. amp.twimg.com/v/b20b4060-139… 5 hours ago
- Nick Martin... 2-Time ND Captain 2nd Round NFL Draft Pick @HoustonTexans picked 1 of the top centers in the nation https://t.co/feTAwW9qZg 6 hours ago
- DID YOU KNOW? Nick & Zack Martin are the 1st set of brothers at ND to be selected in top-2 rounds of the NFL Draft. https://t.co/mWp31Tqfty 7 hours ago
- 2-Time Butkus Award Winner 34th Overall NFL Draft Pick @dallascowboys Linebacker Jaylon Smith's Top ND Highlights: https://t.co/UId1V6tQvG 8 hours ago
- 📚 On the final day of classes, you should dress to impress. 👔 ⚽️ @NDMenSoccer's Sean Dedrick can show you how. amp.twimg.com/v/4c82d09a-5a5… 15 hours ago