Mar 25, 2013, 11:48 PM EST
The Fighting Irish were no joke at the Joe this weekend. They showed up ready to play both nights, and did just that, knocking off Ohio State and Michigan to take home the final CCHA Championship. It was the first CCHA title won by the Irish since the 2008-2009 season, and therefore, the first championship for any of the Irish celebrating in the locker room Sunday afternoon. Coach Jeff Jackson said in Sunday’s post-game press conference, “Being a great team is about making big plays at big moments,” and the Irish were able to do exactly that this weekend. A few of my own reflections from my little dorm room cubicle:
- Young guns coming through in the clutch. Sophomores Peter Schneider and Austin Wuthrich both scored huge goals this weekend. Schneider was able to tie up Saturday’s game against Ohio State at the 10:52 mark of the first period. This goal was able to stop the Buckeyes’ momentum and get the Irish back on track toward their victory. Austin Wuthrich scored arguably the biggest goal of his career Sunday afternoon when he netted the eventual game-winner in the third period. Both these sophomores were able to make the big play at the big moment. The CCHA playoffs are over, it remains to be seen if they can keep it up into the NCAA Tournament.
- Summerhays reaches 20-win mark. Steven Summerhays joined the ranks of Mike Johnson and six other Irish goaltenders who have each attained 20 wins in a single season. Summerhays is riding a heat wave recently and has the potential to be the catalyst of an Irish Frozen Four appearance.
In a very fitting and poetic manner, Coach Jeff Jackson finished his last season in the CCHA the same way he finished his very first—with a championship victory against Michigan. He has arguably one of his most talented teams in years. With Summerhays between the pipes and the top line of Lee, Costello, and Rust, there are few teams who can outplay Notre Dame. The football team may not have been able to do it, but the Irish Icers have a darn good chance of bringing home a national title.
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Remain In The Hunt At OSU Fall Invite
- M. Ice Hockey. Morrison Tallies Overtime Winner As #4 Irish Down RPI 1-0
- Football. #8 Irish Hold Off Midshipmen, 24-17
- W. Soccer. How Sweet It Is: Irish Prepared to Face Baylor
- M. Ice Hockey. 2019 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic Set For Notre Dame Stadium
- M. Soccer. #12 Irish Begin NCAA Journey Sunday Against #20 Wisconsin
- W. Soccer. Irish Use Penalty Kicks to Eliminate No. 2-Seeded Aggies
- Swimming & Diving. #13/18 Irish Off To Strong Start In Columbus
- W. Volleyball. Notre Dame Decimates Tar Heels In Straight-Set Sweep
- M. Ice Hockey. #4 Irish Down RPI 4-1 For Sixth Straight Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- No. 8️⃣ @NDFootball took down Navy in the final home game of the 2017 season at Notre Dame Stadium. #GoIrish https://t.co/QQUR9IWSog 6 hours ago
- Celebrating Senior Day the best way we know how, on the field with our friends and family. #GoIrish https://t.co/ItoEJgeRWd 7 hours ago
- That’ll do it from Notre Dame Stadium, where @NDFootball defeats Navy, 24-17! Next up, Stanford. #GoIrish https://t.co/9ytOGrfW8p 9 hours ago
- Proud to stand with our friends from the Naval Academy during their alma mater. Thank you, always, for your servic… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 hours ago
- Gold always looks best in the fourth quarter. #GoIrish https://t.co/vbQmCNfrOF 9 hours ago